Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Third time lucky?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 May 2009, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Third time lucky?

WELL.......pulled out my fu**ed 'recon' sti lump today and stripped all ancilleries and rebuilt my 'new recon sti engine' and refitted. This is now the 3rd time i've taken out and refitted an engine in less than 6months ( have managed to cover a measley 550 miles since december ). Have to say it went well, took about 8hrs from start to finish. Took about 2hrs to get the old engine out and onto the floor. The rest of the time gets taken stripping bits from one and rebuilding onto the other. Took a while to mate back up to the gearbox too but then, it has done every other time too lol.

ANYWAY, dare i say it sounds sweet as a nut??? Time will tell but i have to say it's fecking awsome to have the car back
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2009, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Third time lucky?

Great long live this one
Old 19 May 2009, 07:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwheelboy View Post
ANYWAY, dare i say it sounds sweet as a nut??? Time will tell but i have to say it's fecking awsome to have the car back

Old 19 May 2009, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

fingers crossed for you chap
Old 19 May 2009, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Well.........24hrs later.......and it still works ;-)

Last edited by backwheelboy; 20 May 2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 20 May 2009, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Well.........24hrs later.......and it still works ;-)

48hrs later and it leaking water. Coming from the rad so once again the car is off the road until i can source another rad. Hopefully it is coincidence and the rad was damaged by the previous engine pressurising? Pretty fu**ed off tbh
Old 21 May 2009, 12:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Fingers crossed mate,you could do with a little bit of luck hopefully.
Old 01 Dec 2009, 12:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Well, here's where the story continues............
Replaced the rad, drove 2 miles and blew the expansion tank to pieces. Replaced the expansion tank with a later metal one. This held the water but engine continued to pressurise and find new places to leak from........
Engine out for a 4th time, heads off to discover the recon sti lump i'd bought is infact just a wrx engine. Delighted as you can imagine, especially as i'd paid an extra 150 for an sti lump over a wrx engine..........

ANYWAY, moving swiftly on........head gasket failure as expected!

Heads have been replaced with recon units which were skimmed prior to fitting, have also fitted an increased flow oil pump with the return valve mod. New rocker gaskets and thermostat and engine was refitted for a 4th time.

I have been out several times in it now and after allowing it to get up to temperature i have beaten the living piss out of it. As much as anything to prove the engine and if it is going to go tits again i'd rather it was sooner rather than later. It is a shame as i have so little faith in it now and it has completly changed my opinions of the car.

After much though i'm choosing to give it another chance for several reasons really.
1. It owes me more than double what its worth so would be a bit heartbreaking to give it away.
2. I have little faith in buying another and not having problems.
3. I still secretly love it
Hopefully back on the road after xmas after i've sold the astr i've been running for the last 6months and if, IF it behaves itself then i may save a few pennies and look at rebuilding my origional engine....steel crank...forged rods and pistons etc. We'll see.

Antway, i would just like to take this opportunity to prewarn anyone and everyone, what complete shisters the 'lovely' people are at MRENGINE.NET.
They are incredibly difficult to deal with and don't know there ass from there elbow. The engine is an 'SMR Engine' and i don't believe for one second that it's reconditioned. Mostly stripped of ancilleries, sprayed silver and put in a box.
Be warned!!
Old 01 Dec 2009, 12:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Well, here's where the story continues............
Replaced the rad, drove 2 miles and blew the expansion tank to pieces. Replaced the expansion tank with a later metal one. This held the water but engine continued to pressurise and find new places to leak from........
Engine out for a 4th time, heads off to discover the recon sti lump i'd bought is infact just a wrx engine. Delighted as you can imagine, especially as i'd paid an extra 150 for an sti lump over a wrx engine..........

ANYWAY, moving swiftly on........head gasket failure as expected!

Heads have been replaced with recon units which were skimmed prior to fitting, have also fitted an increased flow oil pump with the return valve mod. New rocker gaskets and thermostat and engine was refitted for a 4th time.

I have been out several times in it now and after allowing it to get up to temperature i have beaten the living piss out of it. As much as anything to prove the engine and if it is going to go tits again i'd rather it was sooner rather than later. It is a shame as i have so little faith in it now and it has completly changed my opinions of the car.

After much though i'm choosing to give it another chance for several reasons really.
1. It owes me more than double what its worth so would be a bit heartbreaking to give it away.
2. I have little faith in buying another and not having problems.
3. I still secretly love it
Hopefully back on the road after xmas after i've sold the astr i've been running for the last 6months and if, IF it behaves itself then i may save a few pennies and look at rebuilding my origional engine....steel crank...forged rods and pistons etc. We'll see.

Antway, i would just like to take this opportunity to prewarn anyone and everyone, what complete shisters the 'lovely' people are at MRENGINE.NET.
They are incredibly difficult to deal with and don't know there ass from there elbow. The engine is an 'SMR Engine' and i don't believe for one second that it's reconditioned. Mostly stripped of ancilleries, sprayed silver and put in a box.
Be warned!!
Oh dear Oh dear no luck just buy another impreza if you have the money to that would pi** me off big time
Old 01 Dec 2009, 01:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Well this is the thing......i really like the classics still and had every intention of buying a type r but as said, just don't know that i could bring myself to trust one i don't know! If i did buy another i recon i'd take a compression tester with me!!
Thing is when i drive my car i ****ing love it. Everything is just right. Love the power delivery from the TD05.......laaaaaaag-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST!! The handling from the suspension set up, hold it sideways through roundabouts one hand on the wheel while deciding what i want in my sandwiches tomorrow.

I won't deny that i drive my cars hard but i always warm up/cool down, don't bounce off the limiter etc. They should be fit for purpose, it's a subaru impreza ffs!!
Like i say, have some issues with trust now tbh which is why i might well build an engine yet, the car isn't worth f-all and owes me too much already so prob wouldn't lose too much sleep over spending more on it if it's gonna all but guarantee a few yrs reliability but knowing my luck i'd do it then blow the gearbox or summet lol.
My mates misses has got a lovely blob eye, in black with 19's defi gauges, sti spats, spoiler etc etc. Low miler too. I think that could be my next car if ever i could persuade her to give it up....and sell me the car too lol
Old 01 Dec 2009, 02:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
I think that could be my next car if ever i could persuade her to give it up....and sell me the car too lol
With the luck you having that might break to but to be honest if you are going for another rebuild or getting an engine try your best to get the best feedback from guys that are in the know about the place you will use find reviews on it and dont jump into buying a recon motor without doing all the tests you can do before hand I know really with recon motors they on the shelf but get as much info as possible but a lot of it down to luck. I hope your next engine be a flyer as their is nothing worse than blown engines
Old 01 Dec 2009, 10:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Keep going mate as you have put so much time & effort into it. Would be shame to give up now. Remember the good times you had in it
Old 01 Dec 2009, 10:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

As above, may as well stick with it know. It owes you waaaay too much money to just give up on it. Will be worth it in the end I promise you.
Old 01 Dec 2009, 06:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAianM View Post
Keep going mate as you have put so much time & effort into it. Would be shame to give up now. Remember the good times you had in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
As above, may as well stick with it know. It owes you waaaay too much money to just give up on it. Will be worth it in the end I promise you.

Both of these statements pretty much sum up why i still have the car. Also, if i didn't do it then most others wouldn't bother and if i sold it on as a problematic car then i'd be gutted at the thought of it being broken for bits!

The shell has got plenty of trolley dents and a few bits of scabby paintwork BUT is totally solid/good in all the right places so the saga continues....

It's a shame i'm such an emotional retard really otherwise i'd just weigh the f'king thing in lol
Old 01 Dec 2009, 06:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Will be worth it in the end I promise you.
Pinky promise, you're in trouble when it goes wrong again lol