Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Just bought me a Impreza WRX STI!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 May 2009, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Just bought me a Impreza WRX STI!

Hey All,

I have just bought me a Subaru Impreza WRX STI 2003. I'm stoked! Picked it up from the garage last night, and gently drove it home - after 4 years of an old rusty 306 it seems twice the size and I'm sure I was overdoing every corner and roundabout to ensure I didn't scratch it!

Now I'm mechanically challenged! Always have been! So I just have a couple of questions I was hoping you might be able to help with.

Firstly, its just had its 50,000 mile (well 5 months ago) service with cambelt etc .. so I presume there is nothing to be done until I reach the 60,000 mark. What do I need to do on an annual or 6 months basis to ensure its kept in great condition.

Also, I plan to use the car for weekends only, covering a modest 100 miles or so per week. Do you think the battery will cope with this? I have no power to the car, so a trickle charger is out of the question. I could remove the battery and charge in my flat, but it seems a little OTT :-)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to chatting to you all over the months / years ahead!

All the best - J.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2009, 05:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Just bought me a Impreza WRX STI!

Hi mate and welcome!

Here is a link to new age service schedules which should prove useful;

Subaru suggested maintenance schedules

As for stuff to be done every 6-12 months i would say since you are looking at doing around 5-6000 miles a year an oil and filter change is a must every 12 months at least. I do a similar amount of miles and change my oil every 4 months/3000-5000 Km's religiously. Tbh that is probably a bit ott but it gives me peace of mind. As for other stuff just stick to what the service schedule suggests and you should be fine.

Regarding your beattery think as long as your battery/alternator are in good shape you should be fine.

Hope that helps.
Old 13 May 2009, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Agree with Wayne, I change my oil every 6 months no matter what. I only drive mine at weekends and the battery is fine.
Old 13 May 2009, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Battery will definately be fine, put a new one on mine soon after i had it its been on 5yrs since an its still fine,some wks i guess mine prob only does about 60mile and in winter may not see that-depends on the weather.
Old 13 May 2009, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hey rikimaru, Matt & uk dave! :-)

Thanks for the advice and information! I will arrange the oil changes as suggested :-)

Great news about the battery! Fingers crossed!

All the best - J.
Old 14 May 2009, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

The sti newage are fitted with a tracker as standard which always draws power, therefore it can darin the battery over a period of time.
Old 14 May 2009, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Tracker on mine an its fine-cant comment on what RAC trakstar`s like though.
Old 14 May 2009, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

There was a problem with the earlier ones, always drained that battery after 2 weeks of non use.

And when driven advise running with the side lights on as the alternator is "intelligent" and will not charge unless there is a drain on the system.