Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Scooby temperament ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2004, 12:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Young Scooby

it's all about the air!

cold weather means that the air is denser, same goes for damp conditions, this means that a greater quantity of air is taken into the cylinder which makes the car run more effectively (I'm drunk so excuse the random babble!)

also with turbo cars, the cooler the ambient air, the lower the air temp is once it has passed through the turbo and also the cooler the intercooler can make the charge temp. cool damp air iswhat you need.

if you are stood in traffic and then try to hoof it, the car will also bog down due to heat soak from the intercooler as the heat from the engine rises the wrong way through the intercooler fins

hope that helps
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2004, 06:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Send a message via MSN to triplezoney
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_idiot
it's all about the air!

cold weather means that the air is denser, same goes for damp conditions, this means that a greater quantity of air is taken into the cylinder which makes the car run more effectively (I'm drunk so excuse the random babble!)

also with turbo cars, the cooler the ambient air, the lower the air temp is once it has passed through the turbo and also the cooler the intercooler can make the charge temp. cool damp air iswhat you need.

if you are stood in traffic and then try to hoof it, the car will also bog down due to heat soak from the intercooler as the heat from the engine rises the wrong way through the intercooler fins

hope that helps
Flippin eck. Thats good seein as your drunk!
I'll have to have another beer :wink:
Old 18 Jul 2004, 10:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Had the same thought yesterday as Gooner was leaving me in tyre smoke on the M1 in his WR1, need some more toys me thinks
Cheers
Colin
Old 18 Jul 2004, 10:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

You should try 100 degree F (38 degree C) sometime :shock:

Try an IC sprayer. I also mix in a 4-6 litres of toluene with each tank in the summer. Toluene is 20-25 full points higher octane (average method) than most petrol. The higher octane helps to keep the ECU from pulling timing.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 11:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizey
You should try 100 degree F (38 degree C) sometime :shock:

Try an IC sprayer. I also mix in a 4-6 litres of toluene with each tank in the summer. Toluene is 20-25 full points higher octane (average method) than most petrol. The higher octane helps to keep the ECU from pulling timing.
Hello brizey, do you have any further information on toluene? Would be interested to find out more about that
Old 18 Jul 2004, 05:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

When Nasioc comes back up I'll point you to some detailed threads. Some of them have some chemical engineering types that go into great detail. In a nutshell: Toluene is about 114 octane (average method, not just RON), is often used by oil companies in gasoline (petrol :wink: ) that you buy at the pump, was used extensively by F1 in the turbo era, and is the consensus "best over the counter octane booster". Don't mix in at more than 30% (per a BP white paper). We can get it in the states at paint supply stores.

Some people claim it is a bunch of BS, but I can tell you it does make some difference. My ECU is NOT stock. My Cobb reflash is tuned for 93 average method octane, which is about as high as you can find in the US. In fact, many states, such as California, only have 91.

I buy it here at a commercial paint supply depot for about US$7/gallon. 93 gas in Texas is running at about US$2/gallon, so it adds about US$5 to a tank of gas.

Here is one write up:

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html