Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Best Mod//upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2004, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Best Mod//upgrade

Ok this may has been asked before, so sorry if it has.

As funds are tight at the mo what are the best upgrades to do on a budget that will improve performance/looks.

Thanks
Steady
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2004, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Steady

As you are no doubt aware there is an endless amount of Mods you can carry out on the Impreza. There are loads of sites and tuning places that cater for anything from a pair of crystal side indicators right upto a 2.5L engine conversion

We might be able to give you some pointers but first things first : Can you post up the spec of your current scoob including any mods you have already undertaken and whasort of ball park figure you are dealing with when you say a budget Lastly it might help if you tell us whether you are more concerned with visual or performance upgrades

Cheers
Old 15 Jul 2004, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

No Probs Nelson
My spec has been updated and its basically a standard MY53 WRX.
Ok I am far from being technically minded as far as cars are concerned, computers yes, cars no
I've had a look at a few sites one is http://www.tdi-plc.com/IMPREZA.html .and theres a mass of info I just dont understand ops:

Some of the mods eg dump valve, new induction kit and back boxes are fairly cheap.But are they worth it on there own from cost/performance increase point of view.

As for styling or performance I am really interested in the performance side .

Budget, I think it would be an ongoing process say in 500 stints for example.

Would it be better to save my cash and just get it PPP :?:

I hope this helps
Cheers
Steady :wink:
Old 15 Jul 2004, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Sp00ky
If you are going to do PPP do it through the forums tho m8

Nelson will tell you, but instead of paying 1600 from Subaru

I have done mine for 500 atm (Still need brakes tho)

And its a good wack on BHP for WRX.

Spooky
Old 15 Jul 2004, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

one major consideration that i would have, as you have stated it is a 53 plate, is conserving your warranty, any mods will void it.

PPP if you can afford it will give you uprated springs, new backbox and uprated ECU, basically make the car a bit quicker, more powerful and have a sportier feel, it will also keep your warranty in tact.

If you don't care about your warranty, then i'd start on the zorst! you'll release that distinctive (and lets face it, we all love it!) impreza flat four turbo burble! if funds are short you could start with just a back box and then gradually replace the rest of the system.

instead of an induction kit, i'd get an STI panel filter as they can breath well enough for an engine running 300bhp, plus induction kits on impreza's from 99 onwards can play havoc with the mass air flow sensor (MAF), you can read a couple of horror stories about piston 3 melting due to a failed MAF!

zorst is my fav though just for the noise! I replaced my backbox within an hour of picking up my scoob! it's a scoobyworld afterburner vortex and i can highly recommend it
Old 16 Jul 2004, 07:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

PPP for about 500 8)

The zorst seems to be the first thing then.
Chers
Steady
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Sp00ky
Hi steady, through a combination of looking at for sale, and talking to Nelson, have managed to get most parts very cheap for PPP.

I think Prodrive Exuast 110, Centre DeCat 45, PPP ECU 350, Brkaes 60, so yeah my maths is poo, but still its cheap innit.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

As per Spookys comments - you can track down a PPP virtually second hand these days - although I must admit that I have picked up vibes that it isn't really worth the money....but I spose that is only something if you are paying 1500

I would say best mod to go for on a Scoob is a Full Decat whatever ECU you are running. Next would be a performance Airfilter - the STI one I use is very good but other recommended ones are JR, Green and K&N. These mods alone could give a catted car an increase of about 25-35BHP and would make the car far more easy to drive (better spool up etc). If you can't go the full PPP - I'd definitely recommend this route and as Spooky says you can find most of the kit you need for sale on here or other forums.

Just remember your warranty
Old 16 Jul 2004, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Will save these posts on my machine.
Cheers
Old 16 Jul 2004, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Easiest way steady is file save as :wink: (just incase you didnt know :wink: )

All the best
Old 16 Jul 2004, 09:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Ta :wink: