Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

found a car but im not sure whether its the car i want.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2009, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

found a car but im not sure whether its the car i want.

ok, found a wrx for 2250 and a sport estate for 595. my main question is, other than a lack of turbo what other difference are there and are they around the right sort of prices to pay, both are P reg.

also, are the engines the same, as in, can you turbo the non turbo engine?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2009, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: found a car but im not sure whether its the car i want.

also, both are imports, are the specs greatly different in either performance or toys?
Old 03 May 2009, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i read the import version of the sport is an srx. if so this is what i found out :
Engine model EJ20
Max.power (Net), kw(PS)/rpm 155 ps (114.00 kw) / 6400 rpm
Max.torque(Net), N*m(kg*m)/rpm 20.0 kg*m (196.13 N*m) / 3200 rpm

using google to get a converter 1bhp=0.987ps so thats 153bhp does this sound right?

any idea what the sport spec is?
Old 03 May 2009, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

they both sound pretty cheap. the current markets crap though so there are some bargins to be had, have a look on autotrader for a rough value, ignore the top prices and assume the cheapest prices are sheds and go near the middle for about the right price comparison
Old 03 May 2009, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

cheers, they seem to go for 1k+ on autotrader, and stupidly expensive down here, its also from a dealer, which made me think it was a tad cheap. bodywork from what my gf said looks in very good condition, but they were closed today so couldnt ask for any info.
being an import not sure if thats why its cheap, or maybe he took it in px.
Old 03 May 2009, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

yeah might be, not gonna hurt to at least go have a gander, bear in mind theres plenty for sale out there though
Old 03 May 2009, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

yeah, was dissapointed the my vec aint got very high on ebay, so maybe prices round here are going down alot
Old 04 May 2009, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

went to go see the sport today, it was all scratched, the bumpers and roof were painted in some hard black stuff and one of the alloys was bubbling badly so 595 didnt seem a bargain then
Old 04 May 2009, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

If you are not sure about a car then dont buy it. Never worth the risk. Like said before , there are lots to chose from so take you time & get the 1 you want
Old 04 May 2009, 07:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAianM View Post
If you are not sure about a car then dont buy it. Never worth the risk. Like said before , there are lots to chose from so take you time & get the 1 you want
yeah i just walked away, although all day a little part of me has been wishing i got it. i start my job (well i start getting paid for my job) from next week, so the bank has said once they see some wages going in im pretty much guaranteed a loan, so can then get a turbo impreza as thats what i really want, just scared all that power and the 4wd might be too big a step in one go.

my vec sold just shy of 500 so better than expected, so can buy a little run around and the look for a mint impreza, really like the idea of a wrx sti, but then maybe thats being a bit ambitious. also like the import models being higher spec, but am worried parts might be an issue, soo many things to consider, and i know nowt about imprezas
Old 04 May 2009, 08:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Cars only go as fast as you let them. Ease your self in gradually, little by little & you will be fine. Just take it steady in the wet to start with as they do have a habit of biting you in the arse when you least expect it as for parts ,imports are as easy to get bits for as anything. If you need advise there are lots of good people on here that would help. Most of all ENJOY
Old 04 May 2009, 09:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

lol yeah, will be taking it slow.

is there any way from this pic

of telling if its a turbo or not?

its an import wrx which i have read means it could be either or as the jap impreza has wrx non turbo aswell
Old 04 May 2009, 09:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

is that an intercooler at the back or not, hard to tell from the picture? you may want to have someone with you that has had a bit of experience with imprezas or turbo charged cars. i'm currently looking for a new impreza after owning one for nearly 5 years, and i can tell you now, since looking for a new car i've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of lemons and a lot of b#llsh/t out there.

you maybe better off sourcing a UK classic turbo that has plenty of service history with it. my brother just picked up a 97 reg with about 76k miles and full service history for 2K

Last edited by brumbrum; 04 May 2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05 May 2009, 06:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
is that an intercooler at the back or not, hard to tell from the picture? you may want to have someone with you that has had a bit of experience with imprezas or turbo charged cars. i'm currently looking for a new impreza after owning one for nearly 5 years, and i can tell you now, since looking for a new car i've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of lemons and a lot of b#llsh/t out there.

you maybe better off sourcing a UK classic turbo that has plenty of service history with it. my brother just picked up a 97 reg with about 76k miles and full service history for 2K
yeah, just the japs are more powerful from factory, and seem to be alot more common around here.
not sure what it is, its listed on ebay not advertised as a turbo, just a wrx, its also an automatic, so if it was a turbo, how hard/expensive would it be to get it converted to manual?
Old 05 May 2009, 12:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

not worth the hassel, cost will be more than the difference of buying a decent manual in the first place