Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Engine idle/stalling problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Apr 2009, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Engine idle/stalling problem?

Hi Fellas...I picked up my 1998 wrx wagon yesterday and the guy told me it needs a new battery as the engine rpm will drop really low and sometimes cut out.This seems to happen when pulling up at lights and putting the car in nuetral or after a journey and pulling up outside my house.Car seems to run great apart from this,could it be the battery or have i been told this to maybe cover up something serious.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2009, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Engine idle/stalling problem?

Sounds like the MAF sensor to me mate. Classic symptoms. I really doubt it is your battery.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

dont rule out the Idle Control Valve.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

If it is the MAF,can i clean it with some electrical contact cleaner or throttle body type cleaner,and would a decent mechanic be able to tell what it is..Thanks Guys.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

You can clean it (can even get stuff specifically for that purpose) but wether it will do any good I don't know. Worth go though i guess.

First thing I would do is check for fault codes by connecting the black connectors under the dash (drivers side). Fault code for MAF is 23. 2nd thing you can do is, with the car running, unplug the MAF. If car stops MAF is fine (in theory. I'll get to that in a mo), if engine keeps running MAF is knackered.

However, when my MAF went got no fault code and engine stopped straight away when MAF was unplugged. Had to swap with a working MAF to confirm that was the problem.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

THANKS Rikimaru...just come back from driving it and noticed the rpm goes up as well as down when engine is idle,it went right up to nearly 2000 rpm and then down again so it seems to be fluctuating both ways,does this mean anything to you,or does this sound like the same problem(MAF related)..your help is much appreciated mate..THANKS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
You can clean it (can even get stuff specifically for that purpose) but wether it will do any good I don't know. Worth go though i guess.

First thing I would do is check for fault codes by connecting the black connectors under the dash (drivers side). Fault code for MAF is 23. 2nd thing you can do is, with the car running, unplug the MAF. If car stops MAF is fine (in theory. I'll get to that in a mo), if engine keeps running MAF is knackered.

However, when my MAF went got no fault code and engine stopped straight away when MAF was unplugged. Had to swap with a working MAF to confirm that was the problem.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Yes, my idle was all over the place at idle, up and as you say all the way down and stalling. Idle surge is also a symptom of a dodgy Idle Control Valve though as JD said so worth checking out. Have you tried checking the fault codes?
Old 28 Apr 2009, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Yes, my idle was all over the place at idle, up and as you say all the way down and stalling. Idle surge is also a symptom of a dodgy Idle Control Valve though as JD said so worth checking out. Have you tried checking the fault codes?
Will try the fault code connectors and see what comes back, i`ll let you know what it says a.s.a.p,thanks mate for helping me with this.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman666 View Post
Will try the fault code connectors and see what comes back, i`ll let you know what it says a.s.a.p,thanks mate for helping me with this.
Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / Subaru Specific Trouble Code Definitions heres the codes
Old 28 Apr 2009, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Cant seem to find the fault connectors under the dash,have looked under the bottom of the steering colum,is this where i should be looking,and what do they look like?sorry for sounding thick,but these cars are totally new to me.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 08:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman666 View Post
Cant seem to find the fault connectors under the dash,have looked under the bottom of the steering colum,is this where i should be looking,and what do they look like?sorry for sounding thick,but these cars are totally new to me.
Yours is a classic scoob ya? these connectors are not in New age scoobsHow to read ECU codes Classic Impreza
Old 01 May 2009, 10:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
Yours is a classic scoob ya? these connectors are not in New age scoobsHow to read ECU codes Classic Impreza
Thanks for the heads up buddy.
Old 01 May 2009, 01:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

is the car running an aftermarket vta dumpvalve? this can in some cases cause erratic idling issues just a thought and a cheap fix .
Old 02 May 2009, 08:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo View Post
is the car running an aftermarket vta dumpvalve? this can in some cases cause erratic idling issues just a thought and a cheap fix .
Yes mate it has a Huge twin trumpet blitz dump valve on it,if this helps.i Tried taking the maf sensor off yesterday while the car was running,the engine changed its idle speed but did not stop all together.going to fit a new K&N panel filter in today also,dont think it will cure the problem but may help it breathe better.This is getting to be a real pain now as the car has cut out on me a few times and once i couldnt start it again for a few minutes,luckily i was in a car park at the time,but i could have been sat in traffic so i need to sort this A.S.A.P
Old 02 May 2009, 02:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Sounds like the Maf to me. Sounds similar to a mates prob.