Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Engine idle/stalling problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2009, 01:28 AM   #31 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: Engine idle/stalling problem?

I didn't see any bits in old oil check with magnet also and nutting obvious showed up. Original mechanic said he would have to remove shins???? What ever that is?! If I open it up is it easily repairable? Can u get parts for diff handy?I'm not sure if it's rear r center seems more on rear though, which is more common to go?

Last edited by matrix82; 05 Sep 2009 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Additions
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2009, 01:25 AM   #32 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
I didn't see any bits in old oil check with magnet also and nutting obvious showed up. Original mechanic said he would have to remove shins???? What ever that is?! If I open it up is it easily repairable? Can u get parts for diff handy?I'm not sure if it's rear r center seems more on rear though, which is more common to go?
Get onto Redcow gearbox Autos 014299622 in Dublin great place to deal from and they know their s**t gets our gearboxes repaired their Brian is very good but he set up his own business down here now in Cork but they very help full let them deal with it Red Cow Gearbox Centre - Gear Boxes - Clondalkin
Old 02 Feb 2010, 08:54 PM   #33 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Hi guys, seems i have a similar problem. My 94 Wrx import since i bought her has been idling quite high sometimes as much as 2000 rpm, mainly 1500 rpm. Over the past weekend i took out the idle switch and idle valve an cleaned both up, i replaced the idle control valve with one i bought and the car now revs really low and stalls. After approx 1 minute the car levels out, to around 800-900rpm but doesnt sound too healthy. Having read these posts, i think i will next focus on the maf, but would you recommend resetting the ecu? Could this help at all? I have an aftermarket k&n cone filter on and and aftermarket blitz dump valve. Any help would be so gratefull. Gareth
Old 02 Feb 2010, 11:25 PM   #34 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethDalley View Post
Hi guys, seems i have a similar problem. My 94 Wrx import since i bought her has been idling quite high sometimes as much as 2000 rpm, mainly 1500 rpm. Over the past weekend i took out the idle switch and idle valve an cleaned both up, i replaced the idle control valve with one i bought and the car now revs really low and stalls. After approx 1 minute the car levels out, to around 800-900rpm but doesnt sound too healthy. Having read these posts, i think i will next focus on the maf, but would you recommend resetting the ecu? Could this help at all? I have an aftermarket k&n cone filter on and and aftermarket blitz dump valve. Any help would be so gratefull. Gareth
Try fit the standard air box back on and the original dump valve and see if it cures the problem also clean Maf sensor with carb cleaner and see how it goes
Old 06 Feb 2010, 06:23 PM   #35 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Hi back again, having read prev posts, today i disconected the maf and the car cuts out, so this would suggest the maf is ok, maybe??? Im going to clean it up with carb cleaner and try it again, ive got the original air box which i will clean up also. But no replacement d.v. Whilst im on, im going to try a couple of other things people have suggested, pinching the hoses on the d.v to see if this keeps the idle correct, another option is to change to coil pack(s). But where are they? Im new to these engines, if anyone can point me in the right direction of the packs(s) on a 94 classic wrx import that would be great. Gareth
Old 07 Feb 2010, 03:07 AM   #36 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Yeah it definately sounds like MAF trouble. Same thing happened me on my v4 sti. Clean it with carbourettor cleaner or replace it. If you changed the air filter for an oily type one, they wreck the MAF's. You need a dry type one.
Old 07 Feb 2010, 06:19 PM   #37 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethDalley View Post
Hi back again, having read prev posts, today i disconected the maf and the car cuts out, so this would suggest the maf is ok, maybe??? Im going to clean it up with carb cleaner and try it again, ive got the original air box which i will clean up also. But no replacement d.v. Whilst im on, im going to try a couple of other things people have suggested, pinching the hoses on the d.v to see if this keeps the idle correct, another option is to change to coil pack(s). But where are they? Im new to these engines, if anyone can point me in the right direction of the packs(s) on a 94 classic wrx import that would be great. Gareth
Dont rule out the Maf as Wayne had a similiar problem think he tested it aswel like that and showed up no fault but in the end that was the fault think they have the individual coilpacks so look at either side of the engine by rocket covers you'll see the coil packs going to spark plugs