Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Engine idle/stalling problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2009, 10:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: Engine idle/stalling problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAianM View Post
Sounds like the Maf to me. Sounds similar to a mates prob.
Got a mate to pop up to my house yesterday and we tried his working maf in my car...GUESS WHAT..its not the maf.The problem is still there with his maf fitted,we also took the dump valve off and put some oil inside as it sounded a bit dry when the valve was pumping,then i gave it a quick once round the block to engage the valve a few times to lube it up and we i got back..its still happening,it surges up to around 1200 to 1500 and then will drop down to almost cutting out,and sometimes does cut out.i`ve also put in a new K&N panel filter to help with the airflow and nothing has made a difference....IM GUTTED and dont know what to try now.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2009, 04:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

try the coil packs off your mates car i had a similar problem to this and my engine used to seek up and down on tickover very ocasinally stalling i changed the coil packs and had a very small crack in one and i think the spark was travelling .never had problem after that i may be wide off the mark but worth a shot if you can borrow off your mates car.
Old 03 May 2009, 04:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Did any trouble codes come up? if so what were they? as Jd said did you clean the Idle air control valve (idcv) failing that its not the maf as you said coilpack next then if not that and a big IF whats the plugs and leads like? are plugs gapped properbly?
Old 03 May 2009, 06:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Ok guys thanks,i`ll get on the case.
Old 03 May 2009, 08:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

just a thought. take the vacuum hose off the dump valve while the engine ticking ova and kink it quickly b4 the engine dies. if it sorts the idleing out then your car doessn't like your d.v i had a similar prob.
Old 03 Sep 2009, 08:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Angry Re: Engine idle/stalling problem?

Hey guys, I have exact same problem on my 97 sti Jap version,car started spluttering and loosing power a while back and gradually got to a stage where it would cut out. No cel light, read code 23 when connectors , so went and got a second hand maf ,supposedly good sensor, and new plugs ,car drove fine for about 3 days and back to the same, so brought car to a Subaru garage to read codes and make sure it was maf showing,and his computer showed maf.brought it to a garage and he got me a brand new maf in box and still same problem and his launch could not clear codes so I then brought it to Subaru to see if they coils clear it and they couldn't so still showing cel ,subaru said there's still a problem on maf circuit, tested cables from ecu to sensor and are all perfect, cleaned out iacv, still no change. And I think ecu is in limp mode car cuts out when boost . Don't know what's causing this ,if anybody has any ideas ,will be much appreciated.doing my head in at this stage.
Old 03 Sep 2009, 08:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

was the ECU reset after the new MAF was fitted??

if not,this could well be your problem...
Old 03 Sep 2009, 10:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

As Ed said above a reset of ecu if that dont work have a look at the maf wiring
Old 04 Sep 2009, 07:06 AM   #24 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I have tried to reset ecu using connectors( green and black) way and that didn't work, I've tried to to disconnect battery for hours and still didn't work. Subaru coulnt even reset it. I have checked the wiring to maf and all is good
Old 04 Sep 2009, 07:40 AM   #25 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Ok lads. I think I got it sorted , when checking pin outs found the 3wires feeding maf connector were switched around green and green/black.swapped them this morning and cel light went off and idled fine. Have to go to work now so am goin to check drive when get home.will keep posted.garage must of swapped them for some reason
Old 04 Sep 2009, 07:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
Ok lads. I think I got it sorted , when checking pin outs found the 3wires feeding maf connector were switched around green and green/black.swapped them this morning and cel light went off and idled fine. Have to go to work now so am goin to check drive when get home.will keep posted.garage must of swapped them for some reason
Great hope all goes well
Old 04 Sep 2009, 10:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Took it for a spin when I got home and all is perfect full boost and happy days.thankx for the replies.have another problem though if ye can help. When I first got car there was a clunking and knocking from diff rear, as I was trying to source a new 1 it gradually went out and was fine, I was away last year for a week and wasn't driving for a week and started to notice a slight bit of knocking and again gradually went. Now after been sitting up for 2 mths is back , I changed diff fluid and gearbox and still very bad , is it daffy ducked?
Old 05 Sep 2009, 12:21 AM   #28 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Took it for a spin when I got home and all is perfect full boost and happy days.thankx for the replies.have another problem though if ye can help. When I first got car there was a clunking and knocking from diff rear, as I was trying to source a new 1 it gradually went out and was fine, I was away last year for a week and wasn't driving for a week and started to notice a slight bit of knocking and again gradually went. Now after been sitting up for 2 mths is back , I changed diff fluid and gearbox and still very bad , is it daffy ducked?
You sure it not the rear anti roll bar links they clunk to when worn how to test the diff is go to big flat car park and lock steering wheel in tight turns full left and right slowing turning if the rear wheels locking up any 1 the diff is f**ked and also if making a serious whine or clunk if will have to be investigated but are you sure its the diff?
Old 05 Sep 2009, 12:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
You sure it not the rear anti roll bar links they clunk to when worn how to test the diff is go to big flat car park and lock steering wheel in tight turns full left and right slowing turning if the rear wheels locking up any 1 the diff is f**ked and also if making a serious whine or clunk if will have to be investigated but are you sure its the diff?
Ye I'm pretty sure, it only happens most at slow lock left r right, fast with power on seems to make rear wheels spin rather than slip
Old 05 Sep 2009, 12:55 AM   #30 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Ye I'm pretty sure, it only happens most at slow lock left r right, fast with power on seems to make rear wheels spin rather than slip
Get it seen to be doing more damage than good hard to tell and when your stopping at traffic lights when you slowing down can you hear it clunk cause that be a anti roll bar links and more suspension related. Any good amount of bits come out of diff when you replaced the oil???? you can get a small look in at top filler hole but you can see the crown gear only but could check the teeth for a fair idea but if you suspect diff only option really is to open it up