Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

WRX or STI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2009, 03:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

WRX or STI

Hi am new to imprezas (UK). Am thinking of buying one soon, but am stuck between the WRX and the STI. Am looking at the face lift model 2004. The WRX is cheaper to insure than the STI, also less attracted to thieves, But less powerfull. I was thinking of a air filter, exhaust, bigger turbo and a remap. Would that put it to STI performance? what else is diffrent between them? Do they both come with the same brakes and supension setup? What bout the looks, the interior!! do they come with the same bodykit? The only thing I can see is that sti dont come with front fogs.
Any clue guys. I feel like I cant wait. Help a bruva out. Think about the recession.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2009, 05:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: WRX or STI

As you said Sti is more powerfull but ya you could tune up the Wrx to the same power as an Sti but if that was the case I just would buy the Sti if I'am honest. You get forged internals in the Sti, bigger and better brakes, better suspension set up to, DCCD take a look at this before you buySubaru Impreza - Buying Checklist
Old 25 Apr 2009, 05:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by raza View Post
what else is diffrent between them? Do they both come with the same brakes and supension setup? What bout the looks, the interior!! do they come with the same bodykit? The only thing I can see is that sti dont come with front fogs.
Any clue guys. I feel like I cant wait. Help a bruva out. Think about the recession.
Hi.

Subaru Impreza 2004/5 Brochures. Link: Subaru Impreza - A Club for Subaru Impreza Car Owners

Old 25 Apr 2009, 05:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Deleted.

Most odd. Double posts an hour apart.

Last edited by rikimaru; 25 Apr 2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 05:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

What about a "wrx 300" like mine, in between the wrx and sti. 265 bhp. Basically a wrx with a few upgrades by prodrive done as standard, if you know what i mean
Old 25 Apr 2009, 06:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
As you said Sti is more powerfull but ya you could tune up the Wrx to the same power as an Sti but if that was the case I just would buy the Sti if I'am honest. You get forged internals in the Sti, bigger and better brakes, better suspension set up to, DCCD take a look at this before you buySubaru Impreza - Buying Checklist
Agree with Darren. No point buying a WRX then tuning it to get STi power. Save yourself the expense and hassle and buy the STi right off.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248

STi

But.... uk six speed box not my fav... 5 speed box better

Controversial?

Sti... more focused and more toys for your money....better brakes, suspension, engine, power, interior etc etc etc.. WRX300 was my favourite Impreza... owned five scoobs up till now... done lots of track days in both models Sti and WRX ... Sti head and shoulders above a standard WRX... Been lucky enough to spend a whole day with Subaru at Prodrives test track and driven several different Imprezas with different states of tune... and set up.... Sti With PPP and uprated prodrive discs and firmer springs... was timed quikest on the circuit and on the rally sprint section... but when driving on the road... was too edgy and always in the 'wrong' gear.. 6 speed box...

Hope this helps?
Old 26 Apr 2009, 12:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I thought in the engine department was the same with both except the manifolds, turbo, exhaust and ecu. So they got stronger internals. Thats a bitch. You guyz were great. luv u xxx. Just a quick question how much you guys pay insurance? Do you guys know about SubaruInsured.co.uk. am 25 in next month The minimum age for STI approval/acceptance is 27 there and The minimum age for Impreza WRX approval/acceptance is 25.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 12:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by raza View Post
I thought in the engine department was the same with both except the manifolds, turbo, exhaust and ecu. So they got stronger internals. Thats a bitch. You guyz were great. luv u xxx. Just a quick question how much you guys pay insurance? Do you guys know about SubaruInsured.co.uk. am 25 in next month The minimum age for STI approval/acceptance is 27 there and The minimum age for Impreza WRX approval/acceptance is 25.
Subaru Impreza WRX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia so you can see the differences between the twoSubaru Impreza WRX STI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Iam 24 here in Ireland had a bit off a hard time to get insured to in my sti v6 ra but what I done I told them I bought the car already instead of saying iam thinking of buying a car anyway told them I bought the car the same insurance company I was with for a couple of years and I have no points and maximum no claims tip wood. Dont know how it really works in the UK but that might help you a bit saying you bought the car already and mostly they do quote ya best of luck hopefully they give you a good quote insurance companies are strange they seem to pick and choose what and who they want to insure

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 26 Apr 2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 06:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

save up for the sti and try different insurances.

as said before the sti had forged internals and can take over 400bhp without changing the internals. mine has ben dynoed at 464bhp and 394lb/ft at 1.5 bar.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 05:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd View Post
mine has ben dynoed at 464bhp and 394lb/ft at 1.5 bar.
v nice