Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Which two door model

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2009, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Which two door model

Hi All

Sorry if this has been asked before. I've been wanting a two door Impreza for some years now and just about have some money. My original thought was to go for a P1 as they are not imports and should therefore have better service history.

Unfortunatley as I've started to look I've noticed that they've all (well majority) have had engine rebuilds (modified and unmodified) which is putting me off as I dont at this stage know much about how to detect if something is on its way out and cant afford for any major failing. From what I understand the P1 model and Type R STi v5 and v6's suffer from the same problems.

I'm no longer sure which 2 door version to go for and need some help. This is my criteria

1. Must be reliable as it will be a daily driver
2. Budget is up to 7k (unfortunately rules 22b out)
3. Will be used daily approx 30 miles on motorway and another 30 on B roads
4. Must have air con, electric windows and mirrors (I think this rules RA's out)
5. Long term plan is to make it a fast road car with up to 350 bhp (dont intend to take on track).

Also, I'm not sure of what the differences are between a WRX Type R's and STi Type R's and the V Limited versions in WRX and STi.

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks
Jas
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Which two door model

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi_hayre View Post
I'm not sure of what the differences are between a WRX Type R's and STi Type R's and the V Limited versions in WRX and STi.

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks
Jas
Hi Jas.

Link: 1 Eta Tauri Site Impreza Reference - Japanese Specification

Link: 2 Eta Tauri Site Impreza Reference - Japanese Specification

Old 17 Apr 2009, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi_hayre View Post

Unfortunatley as I've started to look I've noticed that they've all (well majority) have had engine rebuilds (modified and unmodified) which is putting me off as I dont at this stage know much about how to detect if something is on its way out and cant afford for any major failing. From what I understand the P1 model and Type R STi v5 and v6's suffer from the same problems.
Gonna be honest the majority of classics are getting to the point where they`ve at least had one rebuild an there the problem lies-there`s never any guarantee on how long ones going to last after a rebuild as it depends on how thourough the rebuild were alot of the time-then how it were run in etc after an generally how its been driven since.

Im lucky as ive had mine a long while but trying to find a good well looked after classic that someone actually wants to part with i should imagine is getting very hard even though theres lots for sale.

I`m in the same boat as you moneywise though, if mine let go would probably be off the road a yr hence me having 2 cars to keep the mileage off it.

Found this on pistonheads-

Yes the V5/V6 engines either burn final piston or B/ends goes. Some owners commented "the best it's ever gone" "felt like an extra 60bhp" then bang. Not good if extra 60bhp is only being produced by the one Piston. Generally "Leaning" out more power + burning oil + melting pistons + knock out B/end = expensive overhaul

4 possible/credible reasons

1) V5/V6 MAF's are notouriously fagile. Dirt, oil from Air filter or water from washing car can easily FUBAR them.(a VISPS1 said get knocklink)
2) Fuel pressure drop, fuel pump cannot maintain Pressure during high volume usage on high speed and full boost power runs.
3) On WOT, Auto learn ECU does not correct AFR on Long high speed run with no throttle modulation.
4) STi V5/6 Crank oilways poor

A possible P1 specific reasons.

Prior to 2002/3 Prodrive could not remap any Subaru ECU's although V5> ECU's can now be remapped. Prodrive did add daughter boards to the ECU's but could not alter Air Fuel ratio's IIRC. AFAICR On the The P1 has a JDM STi ECU running a 100ron map and all they did was insert "Brocketts" into fuel tank.

If i bought a std P1 (if you can find one) I'd get it Ecutek'd remap for 98 RON, fit a new Fuel Pump and Pressure regulator. Although power would not be increased per say at least the AFR would be correct. For a bit of added insurance possibly add a Parrallel fuel pipe feed to injectors.

Big end failure.

Some are related to one cylinder leaning out, burning oil doubling bhp @ that cylinder knocking out bearing

Once Scoobs start to knock(big end not DET) within a very short thay are FUBAR'd, so only a very small chance of someone moving on a Scooby with a known FUBAR'd engine. But it's very Common to hear of Scoob JDM and Highly modded engines going pop within the first month of onwership.

Not blaming all the "sellers" or "new owners" but in my experience heres four credible reason.

1) Seller was very, very lucky sod and sold it on at just at the right time.
2) New owner new Toy syndrome. Whoopee I'm now Colin Mcrea running everywhere on the limiter & 500miles of doughnuts a week
3) New owner thinks he can save money. Running on 95 octane Fuel on Classic JDM's or Highly tuned engines.
4) Inexperienced owner and engine over rev'd. quickshift gearbox A) Flat out in 4th and going to 5th hits 3rd gear B) Changing down from 5th to 4th gets 2nd gear

Out the 5 scoobs that i personaly know about that went in under 4 weeks.
2 were both a combination of 2 & 3 above as knew which pumps they filled up from and I also knew their mates
1 was either 4A or 4B (well over rev'd Valves met pistons).
2 i could only assume they were number 1's

Handy bit of info for a few scooby owners there to be fair.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
Gonna be honest the majority of classics are getting to the point where they`ve at least had one rebuild an there the problem lies-there`s never any guarantee on how long ones going to last after a rebuild as it depends on how thourough the rebuild were alot of the time-then how it were run in etc after an generally how its been driven since.

Im lucky as ive had mine a long while but trying to find a good well looked after classic that someone actually wants to part with i should imagine is getting very hard even though theres lots for sale.

I`m in the same boat as you moneywise though, if mine let go would probably be off the road a yr hence me having 2 cars to keep the mileage off it.

Found this on pistonheads-

Yes the V5/V6 engines either burn final piston or B/ends goes. Some owners commented "the best it's ever gone" "felt like an extra 60bhp" then bang. Not good if extra 60bhp is only being produced by the one Piston. Generally "Leaning" out more power + burning oil + melting pistons + knock out B/end = expensive overhaul

4 possible/credible reasons

1) V5/V6 MAF's are notouriously fagile. Dirt, oil from Air filter or water from washing car can easily FUBAR them.(a VISPS1 said get knocklink)
2) Fuel pressure drop, fuel pump cannot maintain Pressure during high volume usage on high speed and full boost power runs.
3) On WOT, Auto learn ECU does not correct AFR on Long high speed run with no throttle modulation.
4) STi V5/6 Crank oilways poor

A possible P1 specific reasons.

Prior to 2002/3 Prodrive could not remap any Subaru ECU's although V5> ECU's can now be remapped. Prodrive did add daughter boards to the ECU's but could not alter Air Fuel ratio's IIRC. AFAICR On the The P1 has a JDM STi ECU running a 100ron map and all they did was insert "Brocketts" into fuel tank.

If i bought a std P1 (if you can find one) I'd get it Ecutek'd remap for 98 RON, fit a new Fuel Pump and Pressure regulator. Although power would not be increased per say at least the AFR would be correct. For a bit of added insurance possibly add a Parrallel fuel pipe feed to injectors.

Big end failure.

Some are related to one cylinder leaning out, burning oil doubling bhp @ that cylinder knocking out bearing

Once Scoobs start to knock(big end not DET) within a very short thay are FUBAR'd, so only a very small chance of someone moving on a Scooby with a known FUBAR'd engine. But it's very Common to hear of Scoob JDM and Highly modded engines going pop within the first month of onwership.

Not blaming all the "sellers" or "new owners" but in my experience heres four credible reason.

1) Seller was very, very lucky sod and sold it on at just at the right time.
2) New owner new Toy syndrome. Whoopee I'm now Colin Mcrea running everywhere on the limiter & 500miles of doughnuts a week
3) New owner thinks he can save money. Running on 95 octane Fuel on Classic JDM's or Highly tuned engines.
4) Inexperienced owner and engine over rev'd. quickshift gearbox A) Flat out in 4th and going to 5th hits 3rd gear B) Changing down from 5th to 4th gets 2nd gear

Out the 5 scoobs that i personaly know about that went in under 4 weeks.
2 were both a combination of 2 & 3 above as knew which pumps they filled up from and I also knew their mates
1 was either 4A or 4B (well over rev'd Valves met pistons).
2 i could only assume they were number 1's

Handy bit of info for a few scooby owners there to be fair.

Very good read Dave. Nice find mate.

Old 17 Apr 2009, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Agreed. very handy info and agree with it almost entirely. Oil pump is also another very worthwhile upgrade on scoobs as these are known to be a cause of (catastrophic) engine failure.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

that's made me a bit more warey. as i'm currently trying to source a good v.5 or 6 sti RA or R. i have noticed that over the past few weeks as i've searched it has come apparent that a fair percentage of cars out there for sale have had engine re-builds. i view a sti RA ltd v.5 last weekend and it had a terrible top end knocking between 2 and 3k rpm.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Agree great read Dave v good
Old 17 Apr 2009, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Makes you realise that read from Dave that if you dont get a well sourced impreza that they can be trouble as with any car I suppose but you got to know your stuff with these engines and be clued up in the world about them