Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Petrol :o(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jun 2004, 09:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Very nice triplezoney! No wonder you guys have to pay so much for petrol, with lead foots like yourself. :P But I would do the same thing if I had an RB5, that baby was meant to go fast! (Just watch out for those pesky cops)
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2004, 09:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

and theirs bloody millions of em (michael cane) over here gears
Old 16 Jun 2004, 09:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Send a message via MSN to triplezoney
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999Turbo
Funny you should say that m8, second day of ownership, cop followed me for 30 miles, must have been running my plates :roll: wasn't doing 140 at the time tho thankfully
Old 16 Jun 2004, 10:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Administrator

where in worcester are you from? i was in hindlip yesterday :shock: (not the police hq) we have an office there.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 10:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Quote:
where in worcester are you from? i was in hindlip yesterday :shock: (not the police hq) we have an office there.
about 20 mins drive from there mate, just outside St johns
Old 17 Jun 2004, 05:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Are we still having a meet near you next sunday?

buzz
Old 17 Jun 2004, 02:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz
Are we still having a meet near you next sunday?

buzz
Sure can do, best way to get here is M5 off at Junction 7, follow the A449 into Malvern and meet up at Safeways, can't miss it :? Will post directions on the Meets section for everyone! Did peeps want Saturday or Sunday?
Old 17 Jun 2004, 04:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to cat17
meet

TZ - Saturday pm is best for us
Old 17 Jun 2004, 05:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Sunday pm would be best for me, but go with the the flow, if its saturday and I can join you I will.
If i miss it, I know we will have more meets, so go along with the majority guys n gals.

buzz
Old 18 Jun 2004, 08:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplezoney
Quote:
Funny you should say that m8, second day of ownership, cop followed me for 30 miles, must have been running my plates :roll: wasn't doing 140 at the time tho thankfully
What do the cops drive over there anyway? Are there any WRX police cars? I know in Australia some cops drive WRX's. Triplezoney, if you had been doing 140 he wouldn't have been able to keep up with you for very long. :twisted:
Old 18 Jun 2004, 08:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Certainly never seen a WRX cop car :shock:
Malinly Vauxhalls over this way! points n 's lol
Old 18 Jun 2004, 09:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Wiltshire have a couple of evo's, 7s or 8s 1 marked 1 unmarked.
Yorkshire have a wrx, seen it on the tv.
Don't know about anywhere else.

buzz
Old 24 Jun 2004, 12:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
Tom
Fresh Scooby

Somewhere, earlier in this thread - cost per week of driving was brought up.

I spend perhaps $70/week, but that's 850-900 Miles (mostly at 75-80 MPH) - so the disadvantage of driving in the USA is there's a lot of highway to cover... and don't tell me that in Texas the drivers carefully stick to the posted speeds on those wide open spaces - I remember (near Hudspeth) being passed while cruising at about 85 MPH by a Texas State Patrol car (unmarked, and looking for SERIOUS speeders apparently).

In my '92 Legacy Turbo, after about an hour and a half at 130+ MPH, I noticed that I was getting 22 MPG (at 80 I'd get 24) - so the political crap about going slower to save fuel sounds like rubbish to me (now perhaps in some other car it would be different, so why not just tax gas a bit more and let us drive as fast as we please on those wide open spaces ?

Tom
Old 24 Jun 2004, 01:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Administrator

Thats a fair point Tom. $70 per week and those miles just dont add up over here :shock: if i were doing 900 miles i think i would be paying the $300 :shock: Makes me mad it do.......

There are many MANY roads around our way that have a restriction of 70mph and these roads are seriously quiet in the night.... straight for miles and really clear so its hard not to go that little bit faster...

Petrol hey! - well it will run out one day so hope subaru are thiking ahead about what to put in the cars...
Old 24 Jun 2004, 02:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Tom
Fresh Scooby

Actually it might not really need to run out - in May 2003 Discover is one article about converting Garbage to Oil (production cost would ba about $30/Barrel, cheaper than OPEC).

However politicians are afraid of this because they don't know who would prosper if this technology succeeds (Discover discusses a protype plant near a Turkey processing plant - processes feathers, guts and trimmings to a light Yellow crude oil [wonder if it smells like Turkey when burnt - like a project in Calif to use discarded Fry oil to make diesel has a scent of fries ?]. Of course if it smells like what it is refined from this article (from May 2003) might not seem as savory:

Research: Pig Manure Can Become Crude Oil
By JIM PAUL, Associated Press Writer
URBANA, Ill. - A University of Illinois research team is working on turning pig manure into a form of crude oil that could be refined to heat homes or generate electricity.
Years of research and fine-tuning are ahead before the idea could be commercially viable, but results so far indicate there might be big benefits for farmers and consumers, lead researcher Yanhui Zhang said.
"This is making more sense in terms of alternative energy or renewable energy and strategically for reducing our dependency on foreign oil," said Zhang, an associate professor of agricultural and biological engineering. "Definitely, there is potential in the long term."
The thermochemical conversion process uses intense heat and pressure to break down the molecular structure of manure into oil. It's much like the natural process that turns organic matter into oil over centuries, but in the laboratory the process can take as little as a half-hour.
A similar process is being used at a plant in Carthage, Mo., where tons of turkey entrails, feathers, fat and grease from a nearby Butterball turkey plant are converted into a light crude oil, said Julie DeYoung, a spokeswoman for Omaha, Neb.-based Conagra Foods, which operates the plant in a joint venture with Changing World Technologies of Long Island, N.Y.
Converting manure is sure to catch the attention of swine producers. Safe containment of livestock waste is costly for farmers, especially at large confinement operations where thousands of tons of manure are produced each year. Also, odors produced by swine farms have made them a nuisance to neighbors.
"If this ultimately becomes one of the silver bullets to help the industry, I'm absolutely in favor of it," said Jim Kaitschuk, executive director of the Illinois Pork Producers Association.
Zhang and his research team have found that converting manure into crude oil is possible in small batches, but much more research is needed to develop a continuously operating reaction chamber that could handle large amounts of manure. That is key to making the process practicable and economically viable.
Zhang predicted that one day a reactor the size of a home furnace could process the manure generated by 2,000 hogs at a cost of about $10 per barrel.
Big oil refineries are unlikely to purchase crude oil made from converted manure, Zhang said, because they aren't set up to refine it. But the oil could be used to fuel smaller electric or heating plants, or to make plastics, ink or asphalt, he said.
"Crude oil is our first raw material," he said. "If we can make it value-added, suddenly the whole economic picture becomes brighter."
___

But I'll bet it makes better fuel that Corn Ethanol, which is what current politics support...
And the real underlying beauty is that people are Paying to dispose of the raw materials.
Besides, if garbage leads to Oil - I think that the USA could dominate in Oil production !!