Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Spraying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Mar 2009, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Spraying...

...couple of questions

Had a spin a while back now when all the weather was crazy....scuffed the rear bumper quite bad....

not the best photo but you can make it out...its down to the black plastic about 12 inches wide and 4 inches high....looks Terrible and makes me really paranoid that when people see it they think "ooo look at him, flash car, can't drive"

chips away wanted 200

a mate of a mate said he'd do it for 80, i've had no experience with re-spraying so no idea if thats good/bad?

Also, on the rear left arch two bubbles appeared and quickly flaked off, leaving two 5 pence size circular patches of bodywork showing (right down to the bare metal) they are starting to rust, only slightly. What should I do

Thanks everyone
Old 30 Mar 2009, 12:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Spraying...

First thing I'd do is avoid places like chips away if you have any respect for your car of your bodywork. Have never heard a good thing about them and have on many occasions heard of people having to get the work re-done. 80 sounds very cheap to me but is your mate gonna do a good job? My advice would be check out a few reputable body shops and see what kind of quotes they can come up with, and you also get a chance to have a look round their premises and see what kind of work their doing.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2009, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
My advice would be check out a few reputable body shops and see what kind of quotes they can come up with, and you also get a chance to have a look round their premises and see what kind of work their doing.
Very good advice.

Old 30 Mar 2009, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

cheers for the reply. Never seen any of this guys work so I guess I'll ask to see what he has done first. Will go check some bodyshops out, see if I like the look of any and report back with the prices. I'd love to get the front bumper and bonnet done too due to all the stone chips and how dull they are....infact i'd love the whole car done

Any ideas about how i'm going to stop those two little spots rusting in the mean time?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat View Post
Any ideas about how i'm going to stop those two little spots rusting in the mean time?
Have both spots gone through to the metal or just to the white base coat? If they're through to the metal and you're gonna get them professionally repaired then you could dab a little paint in there as a stop gap. Get some touch up paint and use a tothpick or a really fine brush to apply the paint; that'll stop it going places you don't want it to go.Thats what i did on my old WRX anyhow. looked OK from a distance and as it was only for a short tie i could live with it.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Yea its down to the metal, I think there is some touch up paint laying around somewhere from when I bought the car...came in a little pot...best way I can describe it is....nail varnish I'll stick some of that on there.

I'll try to get rid of the small amount of rust thats appeared and get painting

cheers riki
Old 30 Mar 2009, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Like Wayne said Id bring it to a good sprayer you pay for what you get
Old 31 Mar 2009, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

well I went out yesterday and got two quotes from two different companies, one was a large well established one in the area and the other was one that I've seen about.

First was the smaller one, he had an elise and a euro style lupo with some mad green paint outside...he said there would be no point trying to just spray the corner of the bumper so he'd do the whole thing, 100. As for the key mark, he said the whole side of the car would be best and if i did it with the bumper it would be 200....so 300 all in.

The second, larger, place said at least 700 and that the first quote was worth doing even if it needed to go back for a touch up and a few polishes! I'm guessing they have massive overheads and that (they are the local porsche body shop)

I might go for one more quote see where it falls, i'm tempted to see if i can spray the bumper myself.... could be interesting

It seems that "you get what you pay for" is the common answer in spraying, if i had the money it'd be no question....
Old 01 Apr 2009, 01:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Pays to shop around dont it the 700-300 if you got the 300 shop to do it for ya and done a perfect job you have saved the 400 how bad