Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

I am thinking about buying this....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2009, 03:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I am thinking about buying this....

I am thinking about buying this 2.5RS. Check it out. I need your opinion.

It is a '99 with 85K. I used to have a 1998 and I loved it.

I have an opportunity to buy this one for $3000?

The only drawback I have is that it is an automatic.

Is it worth it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue Impreza Driver Side Fnt Corner.jpg (55.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Blue Impreza Interior.jpg (39.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Blue Impreza Left Side.jpg (35.3 KB, 7 views)
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2009, 03:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: I am thinking about buying this....

Hi mate and welcome to the site.

I assume that is 85,000 miles and not Km's and that you're talking $US?

To be honest can't tell you if it is worth it as dunno what used imprezas go for where you are. If $3000 is rasonable for a car of that age and mileage and it is mechanically sound, has been looked after with full service history then could be worth considering. Looks like the front splitter is coming away from the body there and it is not the cleanest car I've ever seen so it is obviously not a mint example. So take that into account. Obviously give the car a good look over too as whilst 85,000 miles isn't a huge amount it's at an age where things will start to go wrong more often.

Have a look at this link for things to look out for on an Impreza;

Subaru Impreza - Buying Checklist

As for the auto box, really depends on you and what you want to use the car for. If you're gonna be driving it with spirit often then i would say manual as the Impreza auto (classic) box isn't the best (It's not terrible but not designed for performance) and is only a 4 speed. If it's a daily driver and commuter then i say no problems.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

welcome.
that looks a tidy bit of kit,auto still pull very well,at least you don't have to worry about missing a gear on launch lol
Old 13 Mar 2009, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

As rikmaru says: if its got full service history ,then probably worth considering.My uk model had 120 k on the clock ,but all receipts and full service history,and the car runs as sweet as a nut(148 mph@5700 rpm)so far.

I had a legacy twin turbo before that and it was automatic,it was great on the launch ,but even in POWER mode you felt like the car was driving you,and even with kickdown it would change up to the next gear 200 rpm before the red line.I use to enjoy it more by changing up through the box manually,mainly as you could hold it in gear and change up when needed, but if you were gonna drive it like this then no point in having an auto,might as well have a manual,especially as they are faster and better on the juice.
With a manual impreza YOU drive it,not the car drives you.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Also before you buy any car get it fully checked out by a good mechanic you wouldnt belive how many how many people came into our garage and didnt even get the car checked out and they handed over the money to the seller and they bought a bad car, check that exhaust smoke free when car fully warmed up, check they no knocking from engine or suspension, drive the car slowly in an big car park locking steering wheel both ways listen for clicks, knocks and listen to rear diff to, check brakes to press them hard at 60mph making sure they no1 behind you if it vibrates mad and pulls mad to one side could be just wheel balancing but it normally warped brake discs it should stop through and straight and no vibrations at all, a good mechanic should see if its a bad one or not best of luck finding one