Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

This weekend i have mostly been.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Mar 2009, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

This weekend i have mostly been.......

Taking the engine out of my car AGAIN!
Car been off the road for a couple of months now, started with a leaking water pipe ( turbo pipe ) which my dealer took about 5-weeks to get in stock. Decided to do the clutch @ the same time as was wearing thin so engine out and fitted my new 230mm exceedy orgasmic clutch and the new turbo pipe. Engine back in and all plumbed up again, fresh oil and anti-freeze. A flick of the key and off we went
7 miles later on the way hope from my mates workshop.........it dropped a ring, oil and smoke EVERYWHERE and running on three. Delighted.
Sourced a recon sti lump ( cheeky upgrade ) from Mr Engine.net who were a fecking nightmare from start to finish. It was supposed to be next day delivery which turned into 2-3 days which turned out to be a little over a week! Was getting a bit worried really as i'd paid by debit card and if they had rinsed me i wouldn't have been able to claim money back like you can with a credit card. Evertime i'd phone them to ask what was going on they'd tell me there computers were down etc and promise to ring back which they never did. Engine did turn up eventually though, although still no reciept from them yet............
ANYWAY old engine out, stripped of ancilleries, new engine built up with fresh gaskets and new cambelt and tensioners. More fresh oil and ant-freeze and AT LAST i have my car back! All done in a day again by me and my mate ( who's a mechanic ), well chuffed! Strange though, the exhaust note is different to how it used to sound, sound punchier if that makes any sense?! Am trying my best to run it in now ( the voices tell me to do bad things lol ) although i did very briefly blip it once earlier and the boost was reading 0.9 bar which is promising considering it only used to hold 0.7

Some pics...............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00814.jpg (62.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00854.jpg (79.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00861.jpg (82.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00862.jpg (76.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00867.jpg (87.4 KB, 6 views)
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2009, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: This weekend i have mostly been.......

Glad you got it sorted mate.

STi's do sound different to WRX's. WRX seemed to have a more throaty, deeper rumble to it whereas my STi is a lot more taut and edgy sounding (maybewhat you mean by punchy) Difficult to say which i prefer the sound of, but I know which i prefer the performance of.
Old 09 Mar 2009, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Glad you got it sorted mate.

STi's do sound different to WRX's. WRX seemed to have a more throaty, deeper rumble to it whereas my STi is a lot more taut and edgy sounding (maybewhat you mean by punchy) Difficult to say which i prefer the sound of, but I know which i prefer the performance of.

Thank's bud, boy am i glad to be driving it again! Have just picked up an sti alloy tmic ( standard ) to replace the wrx one. Don't know if it will make any difference but thought for 50 delivered wasn't a bad thing to have. My wrx one has still got a fair bit of oil floating around in it + the fins have seen better days too! Hopefully the sti one should look quite nice with a bit of autosol . Just looking forward to getting as many miles on it as i can now so i can unleash the beast within lol. Anyone got any ideas how many miles i should be looking at covering b4 opening it up? The engine has had new rings, big end and small end bearings and headgaskets. I'm thinking of covering 250ish @ 3k and a further 250ish @ 4k. Drop oil and fresh filter again and then open it up a bit
Old 09 Mar 2009, 08:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Great fella looks great roll on the summer for them great spins in it
Old 09 Mar 2009, 11:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
Great fella looks great roll on the summer for them great spins in it

Thanks mate.
Oh yes! Roll on the sunshine hey!