Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Brakes Skidding?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Mar 2009, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Brakes Skidding?

Hi there, i was just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advise on what might be wrong with my brakes as they seem to have lost braking power and always skid whenever i try to do an emercency stop .. Ill start from when i first purchased the car.

Ok so i purchased a Subaru impreza GX sport 2.0l non turbo (2002) about 3 months ago now, and when i first had it the brakes were fantastic they where sharp and responsive, But after a few weeks i had to go and have a Lambda sensor replaced at a garage just up the road from me.

They replaced the lamda sensor and i went and picked the car up. When driving away from the garage i immediatley noticed that the brakes felt spongey and were no way near as sharp and responsive as they were before i took it to the garage.

About 5 minutes later i came to a round about, i pulled off at about 5 MPH but then i had to brake sharpley as some idiot had decided to indicate the wrong way but then carry on round the round about, But as i braked i felt this horrible crunch feeling underneath the brake pedal and the car didnt even stop all it just started sliding, and then a few seconds later it slowley skidded to a stop but by that time i was near enough parked in the middle of the round about and just avoided an accident.

I then drove it slowley back to my house and decided to do a few emergency stops at the end of my street.

I drove down the street at about 10 MPH and peformed a normal emergency stop, but every time i press the pedal down sharply i can feel this massive crunch noise under the brake pedal, and then the pedal starts shaking, then the car will then carry on sliding for a few seconds intill it skids to a slow stop.

The brake pedal has never felt like this when braking to slow down my speed at like 30 - 40 mph, it only ever happens when i press the pedal down quickly and sharpley to do an emergency stop.

I took the car down to the garage the next day to have a look at the brakes and they came back and said they were fine, I then took it to another garage and they also sed the brakes look fine.

Im starting to get a bit worried now as i know for a fact that the brakes are not safe, and they are no way near as resposive as they were before i took the car to get the lamda sensor replaced, do you think they may have messed somthing up with the brakes when hammering at the old lambda sensor to pull it out? Because the mechanic actually said to me that they were there 40 minutes trying bash the old sensor out?

And friend said it sounds like might be somthing to do with the ABS or one of its sensors?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by kiz5000; 06 Mar 2009 at 08:47 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2009, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Brakes Skidding?

Ya sounds to me like ABS you have this in your car ya????? If you do its normal for the ABS under sharp braking that ABS stops your wheels from locking up so you can regain traction again with the tyre from the road, its normal when you slam on your brakes with ABS you get a stratching sound from brake pedal and it vibrates to when tyre loses traction(grip) with the road but if the ABS is not working it should appear on your dash and ABS light will stay illuminated when you driving then you need to get it fixed also your brakes should not lock up at all with ABS it prevents brakes from locking up as best as it can hope it helps
Old 07 Mar 2009, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

yea the vibration in the pedal is the abs...sort of feels like something is pushing back against the pedal.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 07:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
Ya sounds to me like ABS you have this in your car ya????? If you do its normal for the ABS under sharp braking that ABS stops your wheels from locking up so you can regain traction again with the tyre from the road, its normal when you slam on your brakes with ABS you get a stratching sound from brake pedal and it vibrates to when tyre loses traction(grip) with the road but if the ABS is not working it should appear on your dash and ABS light will stay illuminated when you driving then you need to get it fixed also your brakes should not lock up at all with ABS it prevents brakes from locking up as best as it can hope it helps
Exactly, i truly agree with u in this context. And it's time to replace the brakes again. And also check with the ABS. it's is better do that.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

did the none turbo's have abs?
Old 31 Mar 2009, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

yup..
Old 31 Mar 2009, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

fury muff, din't know that