Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Options on New '09 2.5i 5-door

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Feb 2009, 02:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Question Options on New '09 2.5i 5-door

Hello All,

I'm just about to buy a brand-new Impreza 5-door and I'm wondering about the options/add-ons I should take. Maybe some of you can advise? In particular:
  1. Manual or auto? I'm reading that the auto has more advanced traction control/stability control? (I'm happy driving manual though.)
  2. Electronic anti-rust box? Is this dumb?
  3. Subaru fog-lights or aftermarket?
  4. Interior stain guard (3M)? Is this better than something not-from-the-dealer?

And just about anything else anyone has to add!

Thanks a lot,

A.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2009, 03:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Options on New '09 2.5i 5-door

If it was me Id go with the Manual box you would have better fun with it and lets you rev the car more freely than an auto, can understand saying about the advanced traction control with auto box cause you would never spin wheels really with an auto box but you will never get A to B v fast cause its an auto box but manual will be faster still than auto box

Elect anti rust box some one messing with ya with that never heard of it

Id stick to Subaru fog lights
Old 15 Feb 2009, 03:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
Elect anti rust box some one messing with ya with that never heard of it
They are very common, even factory installed by many manufacturers in Canada. I don't know if they are really worth it, but the science is actually pretty simple and believable.

A.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 08:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Really depends what you want the car for in terms of Auto v manual. If it's an every day runner and it's a non turbo (or even WRX in some cases) i would be inclined to get the auto box tbh. Performance/economy with modern auto boxes is not very differnt and autos a lot more comfortable around town and in traffic. Plus with the Subaru autos (as with most modern auto boxes) you can drive as a normal auto in 'D', or you can knock it across into sports mode and choose when to shift up or down so it is almost a manual when you want to be spirited with your driving.

I would also go with Suabru fogs as after market stuff seems a little thin on the ground for the Impreza Hatch and anyways probably save hassle later.

Have heard of this electric anti-rust system here in Japan. No idea if it works tbh but even if it does, my car doesn't have it, is 9 years old and isn't rusty so may be a bit of a gimmick.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Really depends what you want the car for in terms of Auto v manual. If it's an every day runner and it's a non turbo (or even WRX in some cases) i would be inclined to get the auto box tbh. Performance/economy with modern auto boxes is not very differnt and autos a lot more comfortable around town and in traffic. Plus with the Subaru autos (as with most modern auto boxes) you can drive as a normal auto in 'D', or you can knock it across into sports mode and choose when to shift up or down so it is almost a manual when you want to be spirited with your driving.
Does anyone know how much of a difference the additional traction control/stability program, that is part of the automatic, makes?

Found some info on this:

I don't know if much of the information applies to an '09 though. Does anyone know where I can find more technical information?

I should add more context: I am driving in crap conditions on crap roads all the time. Ottawa gets lots of exciting weather, and budget cuts mean our roads are poorly cleared and poorly maintained. So, for the sake of argument, if someone told me the 4EAT is 25% better at maintaining traction that the 5MT, I'd probably buy it.

Again, thanks for everyone's responses, very helpful indeed. Keep em coming!

A.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon60 View Post
They are very common, even factory installed by many manufacturers in Canada. I don't know if they are really worth it, but the science is actually pretty simple and believable.

A.
Cool learn somthing new every day like Waynes post above my car 9yrs old to and had box out recently doing the clutch and not a bit of rust on it so might be a waist of money for ya but suppose it all depends where you would be driving the car for example very salted (gritted) roads for the snow some cars do get destroyed in rust from the salt for the snow but whatever you think