Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

All in the name of fun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2009, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

All in the name of fun

A while back i posted that my '94 wrx had started to smoke on over-run after fitting a decat pipe........two day's after that it started to leak water. Found it was the pipe coming from the engine to the turbo ( metal pipe with a banjo fitting at one end ). Delighted! Stripped the turbo off to take the pipe off. Ordered a genuine subaru replacement pipe ( i prefer to do things only once + got no plans to get rid of the car ) 58+vat and took 5weeks to arrive ( they messed up when they ordered it ).

Anyway, in the mean time i got thinking........the clutch had felt thin for a while so i decided to replace the clutch while i was at it. Sized it up, and decided to go for the more expensive 230mm excedy unit ( as oppose to the 225mm clutch ) 167.

FINALLY, all the parts arrived so i set to work. Bonnet off, rad out etc etc. Within a couple of hours had the engine up out of the way ( took motor out as turbo, exhaust etc already removed so this was as easy as anything + gave me a nice lot of room to work with lol ).

Everything went really well, bit of a pain in the ass lining the engine and box back up but no real dramas. I dropped the oil again as when i put -5 40w in when i fitted decat so thought blue smoke may be related. Refilled with -15 40w synthetic as advised. Stuck 15's worth of anti freeze back in.

Job done! Took about 5hrs from start to finish i'd say ( me and a mechanic mate using his tools and premises ). Chuffed to bits!!

10mins into the drive home it dropped a ring and is now running on 3 cylinders spitting oil absolutely everywhere ( out through exhaust/dump-valve ) and breathing heavily.

Without my car for a total of 6 weeks, day off work spent working on car=a 10 minute drive. As you can imagine i'm tickled right up the ass about it all.

On the flip side, i think i've worked out where the blue smoke was coming from on over-run

Last edited by backwheelboy; 11 Feb 2009 at 10:57 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote