Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Difference between UK and Japanese Imprezas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2004, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Difference between UK and Japanese Imprezas

I notice some of you have UK version turbo Impreza's and some have import WRX's. I'm assuming that the import models are from Japan correct?

so what is the difference between them? I'm really interested to know.

thanks everyone!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2004, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Japanese Import Scoobs have more power and better refinement level....i.e Aircon, folding mirrors etc. The UK Scoobs are mapped for our lower grade fuel thus we have lower power than the Jap equivalents. The UK models are geared differently too - the UK's are longer ratio Boxes meant for our dull UK Motorways whereas the Import WRX's are have much shorter gearing. The Jap Scoobs also have ECU's that are expecting 100Ron Fuel.

I have owned both a Jap Import and now currently have a UK spec machine so if you have any further questions please fire away
Old 20 Apr 2004, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Thanks Nelson, you are just full of scoobie knowledge!

Ok, so from what you have said the UK version has longer gearing (kind of like my US spec WRX) and it's down a little on power because of fuel/ECU management. And you can't get AC in a UK Impreza? That must be tough in the summer time isn't it?

What about the engine specifically, are the turbos the same? And do you know if the engine internals are the same?

What about the drivetrain, same tranny/clutch?

Sorry for all the questions m8, I'm just really intrigued about the different versions of the Impreza. It is my favorite car in the world (literally).
Old 20 Apr 2004, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

And of course the Japanese imports (or europe) are cheaper to purchase than the uk equivilant... Sometimes 5 Thousand pounds :shock:... BUT, Insurance is normally higher than uk version.

As nelson mentioned the jap import requires higher RON values so most import owners have a suppliment added when filling up the tank.....

I drive a uk spec with air con (though it was safer for the first impreza) but knowing what i know now the next car could well be an import.... Its getting easier and easier to purchase an import as companies will do all the paperwork etc for you
Old 20 Apr 2004, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Like you mate - I have a love for Imprezas.

OK A/C is available in UK spec'd models but it was an optional extra likewise so was SunRoofs. I don't have aircon in my current UK model but I do have a tilt and slide Roof which is nice. The Turbos used on the early WRX's saloons were the TD05 and the Wagons had the TD04(smaller Turbo) thus being slightly lower power than the Saloons. The UK model had the TD04 from the beginning circa 1994. Again the early WRX's 92-94 had what was known as a "Closed Deck Block" (engine) which basically had slightly larger and stronger internals but both the slightly later Jap and UK (94-) models ran with the same powerplant. The Jap STI Versions (Again Imports) 1/2/3/4/5/6 however had an engine which is known as the "RedTop". This block has forged pistons etc to take the higher power. The STI versions all have i/c waterspray and various versions of the STI have a variable Diff allowing for power to be pushed more to the front wheels or more to the rear wheels

Again the drivetrain for the cars is much the same apart from the gearing - but the WRX is known to have a slightly lower and stiffer suspension that its UK counterpart. As the years passed the UK Subaru was revised and various Jap Import features were soon found to appear on the UK models.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 09:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Thank you Gareth and Nelson, you guys are top notch!

Ok, I am familiar with the TD04 turbo, can't say I have seen too much about the TD05. Would it be a direct swap to fit a TD05 onto a UK turbo model? Or would it just be better to get a aftermarket turbo?

That is very interesting about the closed deck engine, that should be able to hold more power from what I know. I think our new US spec STi has a semi-closed deck, or maybe I am confusing that with the US spec EJ20.

Is it usually preferred to have an import Impreza or the UK Impreza? And you guys don't call it the WRX right, it's just a turbo model? The Japanese version is the WRX correct?

My car is a WRX, but it's a far cry from the JDM or UK spec cars, I still love it though!
Old 21 Sep 2011, 04:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: Difference between UK and Japanese Imprezas

I have a uk turbo and as from 11am today 21/9/11 also a tommy kaiara M20B jap import..
Cant wait to get her thats why im still awake at stupid oclock in the morning.. Im kinda like a 5 year old at xmas.. Hows a guy suposed to get any sleep when he is getting something so rare theres a question for you guys.. All i can say to the OP without repeating the mega details that previous replies have is uk models are everyday and boring and jap ones are not .. i will get some pics of the TK on asap for your veiwing pleasure..
Old 22 Sep 2011, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bpm
Cool Scooby

Re: Difference between UK and Japanese Imprezas

The language barrier is normally the biggest issue for owners...