Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Some advice on buying used scooby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Apr 2004, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Some advice on buying used scooby

Hi guys n gals,

Ok, the time has come in my young life where i can finally afford to buy (and insure) and lovely Subaru Impreza...woohoo - i cant wait.

I'm looking in the second hand market, circa 10k and wondered what sort of things i should be looking for before i buy. I have recently looked at a standard V reg (2000) 2.0 Turbo, that looked very nice in blue. No obvious problems, paintwork good etc, but it has had 4 owners in the past 4 years. This does seem quite high, and i wondered if there were any standard problems that occur with this car.

Cheers for any info/advice you can offer on this topic. As much as i want to rush in and buy the first scooby i see, i really should make sure that i'm not throwing my cash away (if thats possible buying an impreza!)

Cheers again,

Pete
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2004, 05:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Hello there, - can i firstly welcome you to the forums...

Secondly and more importantly the car! - I'm currently driving 1999 turbo (pictures can be seen in the gallery) and i am the forth owner.... I suppose the owner bit doesnt really matter too much as long as the car sounds like its in good condition with a full service history....

Has the car got full uk subaru service ?

How many miles on the clock?

Let us know the outcome.

Gareth
Old 19 Apr 2004, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome :-)

The car seems to be in good condition. It has full subaru service history and lots of receipts etc.

I have been told to listen out for any knocking coming from the engine, and make sure the idol speed stays bang on the mark and doesnt fluctuate. Also, give it a good go through all the gears throughout the rev range to make sure no g/box or clutch wear etc.

Also, an HPI check to make sure there will be no nasty surpirses in the near future.

Apart from that, most people seem very happy that these cars are pretty solid!

It is a 2000/V with just a shade under 41k miles on the clock. Its a standard 2.0 turbo in dark metalic blue. Has a slight stratch down the rear off-side. New tyres, regular servicing. 16 inch silver alloy wheels. The guy is asking 10,500 and said he would take 10,000. I dont think its worth that much(?) and the parkers online guide reckons 9,500 for a good condition one. What do you think? (obviously without seeing it! hehe)

Actually, this is probably off topic, and should be in a new thread, but whats the difference between a 2.0 turbo and the wrx model and the wrx sti?? The guy reckons this is a wrx, but the insurance company and reg paper work dont mention wrx anywhere!

Cheers for all your help and lovely warm welcome.

Pete
Old 19 Apr 2004, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Big E
Welcome to the forum m8

If it is a uk car more than likely it is not a wrx as these are japanese models

a wrx has from 240-260 bhp
sti has 280bhp
uk car 215bhp

check out this http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm
Old 19 Apr 2004, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Hello,

the cost does seem ok, especially at that mileage... Parkers does state that i know but if you looked on subaru.co.uk used car site something like that is still selling for 12'000... so overall not too bad..

It all depends on what people are prepared to pay for them and a the minute it seems like the prices are good (for the seller _)

Hope the posts help

Gareth
Old 19 Apr 2004, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Hey guys, thanks for all your input.

Well, i think i have decided that, after an HPI check and a good test drive/check over i'll hopefully be joining you guys soon in the wonderful world of scooby. It'll be a gentle introduction, as i cant quite aford an all singing all dancing wrx sti just yet, but reckon that jumping from my 1.4 golf CL to a 2.0 turbo impreza should keep me happy until i can afford the next upgrade ;-)

Cheer again for you help, i'll keep you posted on my progress and hopefully be participating lots more on this discussion board.

Pete
Old 19 Apr 2004, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Big E
keep in touch m8

hope you get a scoob soon
Old 19 Apr 2004, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to cat17
scooby

Welcome to the forum Pete

You won't be disappointed. I had a test drive in mine and bought it straight away You'll be grinnin' from ear to ear