Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Newb with a normal car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2009, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Newb with a normal car

Hi all,

Ok basically I'm about to buy a 2001 Impreza Wagon GL AWD 2 litre.

As far as I know it's a normal, rather than a Turbo.

Assuming that's the case, what can be done to give it more grunt and make it more racy?

Bear in mind that I'm not a petrolhead, so I wouldn't be doing it myself. Also I'm not interested in body mods. I'm strange in that I want a normal looking car (as much as possible) that has beans under the bonnet.

I realise that its a fairly vague request, but any advice would be welcome.

Cheers.

Dave A
car newb.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2009, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: Newb with a normal car

I think I had a reply but it must've been deleted. (Thank you anyway)

I've been having some more of a think, and have some additional questions, not so much about what I can do to add to it, but more what I can expect from the car I'm getting as it stands: -

- What sort of speed and acceleration could I expect out of it? I know I wouldn't get 0-60 in nanoseconds, but I would hope to be there in less than an hour.

- How much of the infamous rally car exists in it, or in other words how likely am I to die horribly if I threw it into a corner?

- How much modification could in theory be done with it without having to replace parts? I know most cars can be fiddled with to a degree, but how much is this likely to have?

Cheers.

Dave A
car newb.
Old 01 Feb 2009, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Generally i start with suspension/exhaust /filter and brakes on any car it depends what youre after though and if you absolutely need 4wd,personally i wouldnt buy a non turbo impreza as i think theres more fun to be had/performance/economy in other manufacturers fwd cars of the same size.

Go for the WRX theres only about 4 or 5mpg in it and think the tax aint much more really would be twice the car to drive compared to the non turbo version and to be fair generally speaking the type of ppl that buy wagons tend to drive/look after them better.
Old 01 Feb 2009, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi,

Unfortunately it's not an option to go for another car. Am having to buy a new car due to my current one needing more work than I can bear to spend any money on, and I've got this one for a decent price (imo anyway).

As I say it would be good to know what I have, and what I can do with it to make it better. And if that can be done without breaking the bank then all the better.

Thanks tho. All input it most appreciated.

Cheers.

Dave A
car newb.
Old 01 Feb 2009, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Details on yours here Subaru Impreza Estate - 2.0 GL 4WD 5d - Facts & Figures - Parker's

Hope that helps mate.
Old 01 Feb 2009, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Ah lovely. I spent ages looking for something like that and couldn't find it.

Cheers for that.

Dave A
car newb.
Old 01 Feb 2009, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Superchips - Superchips optimise the performance of your car, helping to maximise your driving pleasure. Have a look at that could superchip it give you an extra bit of power 20bhp had one of these in my civics before and never had a problem and you would feel the extra power you could also get an induction kit and exhaust and put on a power boost valve get an extra 30bhp with all that really chip included thats what Id do if I had your car if you wanted more power

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 01 Feb 2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02 Feb 2009, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

none turbso are pretty poor tuning wise, on the note of 20bhp extra, very very doubtfull indeed.

options are there, decat, ind kit, cams, etc etc, but your talking mega bucks and you'll always be well behind a turbo.

you can get turbos from about 2.5k upwards at the min, so can you stretch to that? or have you already got it?
Old 03 Feb 2009, 12:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Heya,

Already as good as got it I'm afraid. The budget I have was already stretched getting this one.

From what I've been reading I did suspect tuning parts would be pricey, so thanks for the confirmation.

The one thing that I suppose would be an obvious option would be to slap a turbo on it, but that would lead to several questions: -

- How much work would it take?
- How much would it cost? (For example, I did see a turbo for a 2001 Impreza on Ebay for about £350)

And the big question - it isn't just as simple as slapping on an extra piece of hardware, shutting the bonnet and going, is it?

To use a computer analogy, if you get the biggest and best graphics card you also have to have a decent processor and a high output power supply. Would I be right in saying that the same could be said of this?

I also had a look at the Superchip thing, and it seems to only be available for Turbos, however it's handy to know they exist.

All info gratefully received.

Cheers.

Dave A
still a car newb.

Last edited by OldWolf2004; 03 Feb 2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03 Feb 2009, 01:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWolf2004 View Post
I also had a look at the Superchip thing, and it seems to only be available for Turbos, however it's handy to know they exist.
I got one for my civic 1.5vtec sohc engine no turbo on that I got the icon race one its a reprogrammable ignition computer chip mine went into the distributor and would notice the extra power a bit ring them they might be able to fit it thats if you want to
Old 03 Feb 2009, 12:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

To be honest you`d be better putting the money aside for a wrx,not worth the hassle/cost, can generally get wrx`s from about £2k yours with a turbo and associated stuff needed+ya generally need to lower compression before a charger/turbos fitted, as for chipping it wouldnt bother as tend to make stuff unreliable as theyre not designed for it,its like tuning anything, done right its fine but its only as strong/reliable as the cars weakest part,sort of like one thing leads to another untill you`ve uprated loads + got a reliable car no matter what the power.
Old 03 Feb 2009, 12:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Low mileage wagon here Auto Trader UK - SUBARU IMPREZA Turbo 2000 4WD 5dr Estate

(not my postcode)
Old 03 Feb 2009, 05:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
To be honest you`d be better putting the money aside for a wrx,not worth the hassle/cost, can generally get wrx`s from about £2k yours with a turbo and associated stuff needed+ya generally need to lower compression before a charger/turbos fitted, as for chipping it wouldnt bother as tend to make stuff unreliable as theyre not designed for it,its like tuning anything, done right its fine but its only as strong/reliable as the cars weakest part,sort of like one thing leads to another untill you`ve uprated loads + got a reliable car no matter what the power.
Can't really argue with the point about getting a Turbo one to start with to be honest, but sadly I need a car and I don't have a budget for one.

I'll just have to pick at it and do some research, and if it turns out that just buying another car would be cheaper then I can do that some time.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Dave A,
car with an automatic newbbox.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 07:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Just out of interest roughly how much would it cost to put a turbo in a gx?I'm not talking a 900bhp one. Maye one to get me to 170maybe 200 hp at a push. Surely putting a turbo on a non turbo car is doable as iv seen this happen. This isn't something I plan to do tomorrow but just be good to no and I think this is the best place to ask.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 08:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxwagon View Post
Just out of interest roughly how much would it cost to put a turbo in a gx?I'm not talking a 900bhp one. Maye one to get me to 170maybe 200 hp at a push. Surely putting a turbo on a non turbo car is doable as iv seen this happen. This isn't something I plan to do tomorrow but just be good to no and I think this is the best place to ask.
It is possible but would be very expensive, best option is to sell the GX or save and buy a turbo model. It will be a lot cheaper and easier. After buying a turbo and full wiring loom you would need to modify the gearing, differentials, brakes, suspension and more to make it a safe, balanced and drivable. Plus your insurance will be ridiculous