Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Aquaplaned this morning...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2009, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Aquaplaned this morning...

...taking the girlfriend to work....driving back along the A12....inside lane behind another car. Went through a large(ish) puddle...lost all control. Headed towards the central reservation, somehow (not through my skill, I was bricking it!) the car gripped and went back across the road, the rear end tapped the barrier and sent me into two full 360's. I managed to avoid EVERYTHING on the road and skidded into a drainage gulley on the side of the road. No apparent mechanical damage, but the rear near side light is smashed and there is a lovely gash on the corner of the bumper (considering the scale of things, I've come of VERY well)

so now i'm looking for a light and bumper. Would it be cheaper to get the scuff sprayed (its removed all the paint and its down to the black plastic) and with the light...I was thinking of getting the red/white (P1/Sti??) lights anyway...so its kind of done me a favour...best place to get them?

I think its time to get new tyres. When I had a puncture repaired the bloke said there is only a thousand or so miles let, look at changing them January time (that was 900 miles ago!)

TOYO TYRES / CAR / TOYO T1R PROXES TOYO T1 R - 205/50R16 87W TL :: 58.82 :: Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres :: R16" - 205/50/16, 205/50 R 16 ::

think i'll get them?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2009, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Aquaplaned this morning...

Your lucky very rare I get frights tank god but when I did get frights in the past it would make ya think for the future, a friend of mine swears for the Toyos and he uses them on track somtimes and he said the grip in dry are great and fairly good grip in the wet to
Old 25 Jan 2009, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

I remember spinning of the motorway in similar conditions, ended up across the central reservation and through the bushes backwards. Landed in a field, luckily with no damage to the car, and had every branch and twig stuck in the lights, bumpers, wheel arch, etc.

It scares the crap out of you at the time and certainly makes you more aware next time you go out.

Could you taste the adrenaline in your mouth ?
Old 25 Jan 2009, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I just sat there for about about 2 mins with my foot planted on the brake when it all came to an end.

I'll get the tyres tomorrow, think its a pretty good price, don't really want to scrimp on the only thing that keeps me in contact with the road.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I fitted Toyo Proxes to a Golf GTi a few years ago. They had loads of grip in the wet and the dry, but they did wear quite quickly. They are quite difficult to get around here, though.

For paint repairs, I always find people like Chips Away to be good because they re-spray a localised area instead of the whole panel or bumper. That makes it much cheaper.

Howard
Old 02 Feb 2009, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

got the tyres and paid 50 to get them fitted etc. More than happy with them so far, and even more so when I woke up to go to work this morning and saw the snow!

Giving chips away a call this afternoon.