Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Can dvla take private plate back ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2009, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Question Can dvla take private plate back ?

Hi everybody,

I've now been stopped a few times for my private plate.
Technically it has 3mm too much gap between two of the letters. Everything else is standard: correct font, no dodgy placing of screws etc.

I'm not too bothered about fines etc, and previously I've just paid up and not bothered changing the plates..
but this time I've been given a ticket that says i require to put 'legal' plates on the car, take it to an mot center, get it stamped, and sent it back to dvla.

The fuzz officer stated that the dvla will recall the number plate if i get more than X number of these tickets.
I've heard that they can do this from other sources, but has anyone had experience of their number plate being taken off them? or is it just scare tactics.

I bought legal plates today and stuck them on, but as soon as I've got the ticket stamped the 'illegal' plates are going straight back on the car.
Old 17 Jan 2009, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Re: Can dvla take private plate back ?

3mm gap!!! they being a bit picky aren't they? dont they have any real criminals to catch in sunny scotland?
I've just got a new reg plate coz the one i had wasn't up right enough since it was on the bottom of my bumper nr the skirt. and the nice copper on her horse!! decided to stop and tell my mrs this even tho i was at work an the car was on my front. Dunno bout takin ur private plate tho? seems a bit xtreme!!
Old 17 Jan 2009, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248

Hi,
Yes they can take them back.... eek! big brother is watching you and the thought police a listening!! Unfortunately they can :-(
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2009, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Just depends which one stops you round here as to how your treated-mates got a car sales place and had imported a american ford pickup (dodge ram sized)were still on texas plates police came an asked about it an alex(my mate) said it had been sva`d but he were waiting for the uk plates-didnt say anything else they just walked off-couldnt quite believe it.