Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

End of an era. Subaru pulling out of WRC.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2008, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

End of an era. Subaru pulling out of WRC.

might be late picking this up but it is the first I've heard about it.

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Rallying | Subaru pull out of world rallying

hardly surprising. Nobodys buying the new range of cars and it has nothing to do with the downturn. they weren't selling before. Shame though as it's the end of an era. I own a Subaru mainly because of the rally success of the '90's and the fact it made it every school kids dream car. Also means only two manufacturers competing next year; Citroen and Ford. Could we see the end of WRC altogether if this keeps up?

Last edited by rikimaru; 16 Dec 2008 at 12:13 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2008, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

re: End of an era. Subaru pulling out of WRC.

This is a very sad day for WRC.

Old 16 Dec 2008, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I was going to work, when I heard the same news....I cannot believe this!!!
Well I don't blame subaru as:
1) Lancia gone.....
2) Toyota gone.....
3) Peugeot gone....
4) Mitsubishi gone.....
5) Audi gone.......
All of the above manufacturer were world rally champions, at least once...Audi invented the 4 wheel drive formula.....Lancia won several times, Peugeot withn 205 turbo 16, made hystory....
I don't think that the global crisis is the cause of the withdraw.....rather rallying nowadays with this formula wrc, make (still) sense?
World Rally, will draw to an end...
p.s. Ford will draw next year, already declared officially.
Cheers
Merry Christmas to everybody
Old 16 Dec 2008, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

i think the main reason for pulling out is the FIA's intention to switch to a super 2000 formula car (i think from 2010), as announced in autosport. subaru had publicly stated that it would remain in the wrc only as long as the formula retained 4 wheel drive and turbo charged motors.

it is indeed a sad day for rallying and the end of an era

iirc, a certain mr loeb also stated in autosport that he would consider retirement if the wrc went down the super 2000 route.

max mosely strikes again
Old 16 Dec 2008, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

To be honest all car manufacturers are struggling at the mo,not got much sympathy to be honest-in an already average climate they built a car nobody wants in the current guise and shot themselves in the foot immediately by losing its niche in the market as a great looking affordable/practical 2ltr turbo 4wd saloon by seeming to want to enter the hot hatch market-

Really subaru if i`d have wanted a hot hatch i`d have bought one and no i wouldnt want a 4wd hot hatch.

Realistically how many of ya`s seen many of the new scoobys on the roads coz ive only ever seen about a handful.
Were only willing to accept they`d made it to be more competitive in the wrc however were still in about the same positions as before.

Since citroens have been involved in the wrc see it as almost an embarrassment that they dont produce a 4wd production citroen yet can put together a great package then the likes of subaru producing just 4wd cars cant touch its performance etc-find it unbelieveable that other manufacturers seem to have caught up and overtook subaru-its about time they bought a car out we could be proud of.

P.S. It`s never too late for another facelift on the classic scooby

If im honest dont see subaru as a brand lasting long,theyre not selling much that anybody wants-ya cant keep factories running on whats being sold at the moment surely,and as we know theres very few dealers already.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
bmd
Cool Scooby

a sad day indeed folks as said above, i too longed for my scooby based on its rally heritage, and think this is an end of an era; but remember what happened after group b was banned, within a couple of years (after all that fwd 2 litre cr_p), group a improved with lancias, toyotas, and eventually wrc scoobs and evos, so perhaps its just another cycle turning...
anyway i aree wrc will prob die off for a while,
i also blame the media to a certain degree for its lack of coverage; f1, and single-make racing gets covered, as do gp bikes and superbikes, not to mention many other less-well supported 'sports', but wrc has hardly gotten a look-in in the last few years; if it wasnt for dave the sport would be absent altogether; this is a disgrace i believe, 'cos although they try to convince us that f1 technology filters down to our everyday cars, surely its the rally cars and their evolutions that we reap the benefit of in our everyday drives- f1 is irrelevant compared to rally cars, be it wrc or gp n!i know that my manta and my scooby have rallying pedigree, don't look much like a mclaren!

right, rant over, sorry
cheers
billy
Old 16 Dec 2008, 03:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby

We can spend all the night and eventually all of the next day talking about what happened to Subaru's.....but already Dave wrote the obituary for the scooby.........that's it.
Modifying a car from sedan to hot hatch just because you might think will be more competitive in rallying (see citroen, peugeot, lancia and so on.....) and then not obtaining any good results...it is a disaster.
I can repeat what Dave wrote, I am agree with him.......
I bought the car just because his wrc heritage, previously I owned 2 Alfa Romeo, one 75 turbo, and one 156 2500, bot of them won many time the european touring car championship many times, but was not the same feeling......
It's a sad day anyway
Old 16 Dec 2008, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

On the plus side looks like petter could well still have a drive(hopefully)next yr Adapta World Rally Team would be interested to run Petter Solberg in the 2009 WRC | RallyBuzz
Old 16 Dec 2008, 11:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
Realistically how many of ya`s seen many of the new scoobys on the roads coz ive only ever seen about a handful.

Id only ever seen 2 so far thats true its such a shame
Old 16 Dec 2008, 11:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
might be late picking this up but it is the first I've heard about it.

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Rallying | Subaru pull out of world rallying

hardly surprising. Nobodys buying the new range of cars and it has nothing to do with the downturn. they weren't selling before. Shame though as it's the end of an era. I own a Subaru mainly because of the rally success of the '90's and the fact it made it every school kids dream car. Also means only two manufacturers competing next year; Citroen and Ford. Could we see the end of WRC altogether if this keeps up?

Shame really
Old 17 Dec 2008, 01:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

super 2k is still turbo and 4wd, its just a bolt on engine and gearbox package plus usual orll cage and saftey bits and bobs, pretty much as group N

i'll give it 2 years untill another governing body opens up a group b style rally championship, although i've heard murmours about one already running?
Old 17 Dec 2008, 11:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

With Ford being in financial trouble, I can't see them competing next year either. Very sad.

Howard
Old 19 Dec 2008, 10:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to BIG GRINDER!
Re: End of an era. Subaru pulling out of WRC.

Very Sad.
The car industry will pick up because we all need cars.
Kev.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 12:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Re: End of an era. Subaru pulling out of WRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
super 2k is still turbo and 4wd,

its not turbo at the moment mate. the base car has to be normally aspirated 2l, the turbo is part of the FIA proposed bolt on kit. at the end of the day, it doesnt change the fact that for the first time in about 20 years, the wrc will start without subaru in 2009

Last edited by tom73; 20 Dec 2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 21 Dec 2008, 11:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Unhappy Re: End of an era. Subaru pulling out of WRC.

think its sad all round i live in banbury and subaru and prodrive are part of the local history .swrt only make up about 20% of their buisness but im sure people will lose jobs some of my neighbours work there locally its being bad news with honda pulling out of F1 so not a good time to be in motorsport which is a large employer around these parts .The future of wrc could possibly suffer with the economic climate .How many fans do you see wearing subaru jackets !