Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

its raining again splutter knock...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2008, 06:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

its raining again splutter knock...?

Hi every one 1st time on the forum 2 probs for yous i have a 93 wrx lately it seems when it has been raining the car is a bit hesitant even spluttering for a while untill its had a good run around half an hour cant see any water under the bonnet any where? Also before fitting my tein coilovers there was a knock from the rear now and then but since fitting the coilovers its got gradually worse now its very loud even on the smallest pot holes it had the rear drop links changed just before i bought it any help would be great.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2008, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: its raining again splutter knock...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl08 View Post
Hi every one 1st time on the forum 2 probs for yous i have a 93 wrx lately it seems when it has been raining the car is a bit hesitant even spluttering for a while untill its had a good run around half an hour cant see any water under the bonnet any where? Also before fitting my tein coilovers there was a knock from the rear now and then but since fitting the coilovers its got gradually worse now its very loud even on the smallest pot holes it had the rear drop links changed just before i bought it any help would be great.
First problem could be maf sensor then the knocking could be top mount suspension bushes.......................
Old 04 Dec 2008, 12:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Another thing to check regarding the knocking is the jack. This is (at least on mine) located in the boot behind a flap on the nearside. This bangs about a bit when you're driving. The Teins have stiffened up the ride so you'll get even more knocking now from the jack if this is indeed what it is. Sounds daft i know but I had a noise from the back and was advised to check this first , stuffed a towel in there and and lo and behold noise gone
Old 04 Dec 2008, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Another thing to check regarding the knocking is the jack. This is (at least on mine) located in the boot behind a flap on the nearside. This bangs about a bit when you're driving. The Teins have stiffened up the ride so you'll get even more knocking now from the jack if this is indeed what it is. Sounds daft i know but I had a noise from the back and was advised to check this first , stuffed a towel in there and and lo and behold noise gone
wow thanks Rikimaru you solved a nagging problem ive had for ages , & i didnt even have to ask
Old 08 Dec 2008, 03:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
First problem could be maf sensor then the knocking could be top mount suspension bushes.......................
Hi thanks for the reply is there any way to check the MAF ...
Old 08 Dec 2008, 05:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

There is but it aint a reliable test.

First off get your engine running up to temp. Then simply unplug the MAF sensor. If the engine stops MAF is (well, should be) OK; engine keeps running MAF is knackered and will need replacing.

Having said that, when my MAF went that test didn't work as engine stopped right away and there was also no fault code initially.

Could be your MAF but I've found that engine runs fine cold with a faulty MAF but once warm starts jerking and has a very erratic idle which will eventually cause your car to stall. Have you done a diagnostic test to see if there are any fault codes?
Old 08 Dec 2008, 05:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Actually, something you could try if you know anyone with an early classic WRX withe same MAF as yours is to try a different MAF and see if the problem occurs with that MAF on. If it doesn't then obviously you'll know it's the MAF.
Old 09 Dec 2008, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

do you have an induction kit fitted and is there a cover plate underneath the bonnet vent above the air filter? the reason i ask is that i took the inner cover off the bonnet vent above the induction kit (thinking it would allow more airflow to the filter). whenever we had rain it would always splutter and hesitate (along with check engine light). was cured as soon as i put the cover back on