Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

subaru problem pls help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Nov 2008, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

subaru problem pls help

hi guys, i have a 54 plate wrx impreza turbo, my number 4 big end bearing has gone, on taking it to my local subaru dealer where i bought the car 14 month ago, to confirm the problem, they then contacted the subaru warrenty company to see if they would cover the cost of the repairs, which they declined, the reason being is because i have gone over the 10 thousand service period by a few thousand miles, and that is what has caused the damage to the big end bearing, which i do not belive, the car has a full subaru dealer service history, i got the car with 23 thousand miles on and the dealer did the 30 thousand mile service early for me when i bought it, a couple of month ago i had the 40 thousan mile service done at around 35 thousand. i know ive gone over by a few thousand miles in between the service but surley that damage cant occur, the oil has allways been checked and has never run low. on looking on the net apparently this i a known problem with some subaru's. if anyone can shed some light on this for me it will be greatfully appreciated. thank you chubbs.

Last edited by chubbs; 09 Nov 2008 at 03:24 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2008, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Re: subaru problem pls help

You`ve only yourself to blame as for subaru you`ve gave them a way out by not adhering to the recommended service intervals,sorry mate it just is that black and white,most ppl with a scooby generally change the oil at least every 4-5000mile,not so bad when you`re looking around 2 or 3grand in repair bills for a fcuked engine(depending on damage) if youre not doing it yourself, i`d definately have had mine serviced on time for the warranty to be valid.

Contaminated oil could be a worthy issue when it comes to premature wear so i`d say subaru have got a point, to an extent mileage and how the car were previously looked after dont come into it.

Had 5th gear failure on my classic at 33,000mile FSSH (and only 4yr old at the time-Sometimes it can just happen)if service times/mileage had been kept to subaru couldnt have said anything.
Old 04 Jan 2009, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi just to let you know, the subaru warrenty eventually paid for all the work doing on my car, i was very lucky, it would have been 3400 quid if i would have had to pay, lesson learned lol.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2009, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Great news thats the first time ive heard of subaru being generous when there were a way out for them,mate of mine had an engine blow on his rang subaru warranty up said take it to ya local dealer-he did they stripped it down and whilst it were in bits subaru warranty contacted lee my mate to say they`d had no details of the service performed by the dealer prior to lee picking the car up.

Local dealer then said subaru warranty wouldnt pick up the bill for them stripping it down so lee`d have to which he did to get the car released.

dealer at lincoln then had to pick his car up in bits take it back there and sort-lee never got reimbursed for the local dealer stripping it down even though it were a subaru dealer paperwork or computer error so ya are lucky trust me.