Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Scooby newboy needs advice on buying an Impreza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Nov 2008, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Scooby newboy needs advice on buying an Impreza

I am currently looking at buying an Impreza for hillclimbs and sprints next year.

There is an STI Type R "limited edition" 1998 Version 5 for sale locally. It has all sorts of apparently factory applied stickers proclaiming this on the front wings(fenders) and I think on the bootlid.
The vehicle type is GC8F2DD.
It has a rebuilt engine.
It has the intercooler spray jet cooling system, and switchable diffs.

My problem is that I am naturally suspicious especially of cars for sale which have just had new engines fitted.

Questions are :-

1)What should the specification of the the engine be for this model ie forged crank? forged rods? forged pistons?

2)Where do I find the engine number?

3)Is it possible to fit lower spec. internals ie crank, rods, and pistons just to make the car a runner?

4)What size wheels were fitted as standard - this has Dare( ????) aftermarket wheels _ I think about 18in dia

Would I be better off looking for sorted RA and if so has anyone got one for sale?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2008, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Re: Scooby newboy needs advice on buying an Impreza

Probably best asking same question on scoobynet or by pm-ing "911"(Graham) (one of the posters in this thread)Hillclimbing, the 2007 Season Project.

He wont know me but have read several of his threads/posts in the past and has done hillclimbing a good while-he will be best placed to offer advice in my opinion.
Old 03 Nov 2008, 01:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Hi mate,

The V5 STi R/RA's had no external indication (apart from the colour: Sonic Blue Mica) that they were limited editions. The stickers are all after market. The only indication is inside the car just above the small tray bitty in front of gear stick. The model/engine code etc are on a plate on the front offside strut tower. Your VIN number supports that it is a V5 STi Type R as does the DCCD and water spray.

The engine has forged pistons and rods iirc, pretty certain everything else is standard. You ought to go to Type-RA.co.uk - Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA, Impreza WRX STi Type RA, Impreza Type RA V Limited, Scooby V. Ltd, visit the WRX forum & Subaru forum and see what they have to say as the site is dedicated to Type RA and R's. Rebuilt engines are a bit of a lottery by all accounts. I'd find out when it was rebuilt and who by.

The standard wheels are 16 inch, i know a lot of people run 18's on scoobs, though they do adversely affect handling and anyone tracking/uphilling their scoobs will be running 16's or perhaps 17's but not 18's.

I would say if the local RA is on the original engine and is running well on good mileage it may be a better bet as i, like you, would be turned off by a rebuild as it points to plenty of thrashing or an engine (and by extension car) that hasn't been well looked after.
Old 03 Nov 2008, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for that - any idea where the engine i.d. is on the engine? What's a Redtop?
Old 04 Nov 2008, 12:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Red top just means the manifold is painted red, this is commom to all STi's from Version 2 onwards. The WRX doesn't have the red manifold.

The VIN, Applied Model code, transmission code and engine code can be found on a plate that is on the offside strut tower.