Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Which Sccob?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Oct 2008, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Which Scoob?

WRX, STi, blah blah, it's all too confusing. I'm almost 45, I want a scooby and I don't know which one I should be looking for. I've driven one at Brian Downey in Aberdeenshire (350bhp) and loved it. Budget under 10k, Any advice?

cheers

d

Last edited by RedEvo; 01 Nov 2008 at 07:31 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2008, 04:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Which Sccob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEvo View Post
WRX, STi, blah blah, it's all too confusing. I'm almost 45, I want a scooby and I don't know which one I should be looking for. I've driven one at Brian Downey in Aberdeenshire (350bhp) and loved it. Budget under 10k, Any advice?

cheers

d
Well if it was me id go for an STI that bit more hard core over WRX. Should go for the version 6 sti last of the classic shape lighter too than the New Age scoob 2001 onwards but you would need to decide how many doors you want you can get the 3door Type R 280bhp/6500rpm OR a 4dr Type RA this is the one i have and you dont get comforts like A/C no electric windows in some models i have windy windows little sound deadening OR a 22B STI this is the iceing on the cake to get i think 2.2 little torquier engine, Heavey duty close ratio box, lag free turbo ,lighter steering, twin plate clutch and its an animal to pilot OR just a normall STI the choice is yours id would get a jap import cause thats all i ever get and no problems and if you ever did want to tune up the car the sky is the limit.............................
Old 01 Nov 2008, 04:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

difficult to say. What do you want from your Impreza? Imo the best drivers cars are the classic JDM STi's with the Type R's and Type RA's the pick of the bunch. However insurance is high (though should be very reasonable for you), parts are hard to come by outside Japan when they go wrong and the type R/RA's are even worse on fuel than a normal WRX/STi due to the close ratio box.Could go for a P1 (only classic UK spec STi made available for the UK domestic market) as they are essentially a Type R, though a bit 'softer' than the JDM version by all accounts but insurance is cheaper and parts easier to get hold of and it is still an fantastic car and looks awesome. For your budget you should be able to get a very clean low mileage late classic (Version 5 or 6) STi. Might find your budget would stretch to a decent new age UK STi (2001 onwards) too, good cars and very quick and whilst the general consensus is they are not as much of a drivers car or as much fun as the classic they are far more refined with much better interiors and a far more comfortable place to be. Only thing for sure is if you are after performance you will want to get an STi. WRX is a fine car but the STi is in another class altogether.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions about specific models, specs etc will be happy to help.

Last edited by rikimaru; 01 Nov 2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01 Nov 2008, 05:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

EWould just add to what Darren has written that whilst th RA's come w/out leccy goodies, the RA Ltd's come with the electric windows and aircon but are still without the sound deadening. My personal reccomendation would be a V5/6 STi RA (Limited if you want the goodies and the very cool Sonic Blue Mica paint). The RA is without doubt the rawest of all scoobs, next would be a Type R followed by a JDM classic STi and then the P1. For your budget a 22B (The scooby to have) is totally out of the question sadly.
Old 01 Nov 2008, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:

cheers

d

Link with Impreza model and year. Welcome RedEvo joins our Forums...

Old 01 Nov 2008, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Sti type r(import) for fun if ya can cope with 2doors(P1`s were compromised through poor initial mapping from factory and loads had engine problems-personally would keep away)

Like wayne says sti/RA classics ya cant go wrong really for the fun factor-newage cars onwards are just too heavy-for instance mate had a bugeye running 320bhp mines around 240bhp and could keep with him to 85mph then he started leaving me.

A std uk turbo classic would absolutely destroy a uk bugeye wrx-just down to the weight.

If you do buy a bugeye or later you`ll need a sti after driving a 350bhp car trust me.
Old 01 Nov 2008, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for all the great info guys. I think I'll have to buy one just to join the 'family' if this forum is anything to go by.

I live in rural Scotland and Scoobs are common because they work so well on our roads. Having driven a tweaked one I was smitten (my other choice was an Evo but I'm getting the impression they are just too hard core and costly to run.

I want total reliability. I've never skimped on maintenance and I'm happy to keep the sccob I get tip top, will this buy me reliability?

How about this one?

d
Old 02 Nov 2008, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Looks great Just go through the car like a fine toothcomb have a look at the checklist at start of this site and bring a good mechanic to check it over for you looks really well best of luck hopefully its the one
Old 02 Nov 2008, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I'm going to leave this one. I'm in no rush.

d
Old 02 Nov 2008, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

is that a proper RB5 or just a look a like? didnt think they had rear wipers. im no expert but ther has been lots of people buying cars that arnt wot they say thay are. RA etc etc... all im saying is be carefull
Old 02 Nov 2008, 07:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Appreciate the heads up. I've already decided to leave this one, there appears to be a couple of 'issues' with it.

d
Old 02 Nov 2008, 08:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

good choice so dont rush into it dont want to be buying a scoob that you dont like
Old 02 Nov 2008, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Quote:
I want total reliability.
d
No guarantees with a scooby im afraid just try an get the lowest mileage with best history and obviously the best condition car-Do not buy the first you look at drive a few an get a feel for whats right an wrong about em- like anything you`ll know when youve found a good one.
Old 02 Nov 2008, 08:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Cheers, appreciated.
d