Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

tyre repairing question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Oct 2008, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Question tyre repairing question

I bought 4 new tyres recently: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric's.

I actually had a puncture at the time, and held off getting it repaired and got all new tyres instead.
Only done about 50miles on the new tyres, and guess what - I've got a puncture again!

Not only that, but I took it to the garage to get repaired and was told there is a nail in the tyre, but as it's near the edge (looks to me to be on the tread but on the outer 1/4 of the tyre) - it is not repairable.

So it looks like I'll have to buy another new tyre!

However, I came across a website called tyremoose.co.uk which promises to repair tyres "permanantely" with a liquid which sprays into the tyres, doesn't affect handling, and is good for over 100mph. it stays as a liquid, and when the tyre gets punctured, it gets forced through the hole and seals on contact with air.

it's about £40 inc postage, and does 4 tyres.

Has anyone used this / or similar product before as a permanant solution ?
I can't find any reviews on it anywhere - i can only find reviews on those 'temporary' sealants.

or should i just bite the bullet and buy another new tyre at £90 + fitting ?

Thanks,
David
Old 19 Oct 2008, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Re: tyre repairing question

I had a mate whose worked mobile for motorway tyres and AA and on previous cars he`s done me repairs that have been close to the edge-just not sure i`d risk it with the scooby though.
Can understand ya wanting to get it repaired though especially when theyre fairly new.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
I bought 4 new tyres recently: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric's.

I actually had a puncture at the time, and held off getting it repaired and got all new tyres instead.
Only done about 50miles on the new tyres, and guess what - I've got a puncture again!

Not only that, but I took it to the garage to get repaired and was told there is a nail in the tyre, but as it's near the edge (looks to me to be on the tread but on the outer 1/4 of the tyre) - it is not repairable.

So it looks like I'll have to buy another new tyre!

However, I came across a website called tyremoose.co.uk which promises to repair tyres "permanantely" with a liquid which sprays into the tyres, doesn't affect handling, and is good for over 100mph. it stays as a liquid, and when the tyre gets punctured, it gets forced through the hole and seals on contact with air.

it's about £40 inc postage, and does 4 tyres.

Has anyone used this / or similar product before as a permanant solution ?
I can't find any reviews on it anywhere - i can only find reviews on those 'temporary' sealants.

or should i just bite the bullet and buy another new tyre at £90 + fitting ?

Thanks,
David

Is the nail like on the side wall on the tyre know you would have to replace that alright, havent heard about that either, heard of the holts temperary tyre weld stuff in a can but cant say i have with that stuff you were saying if it was me i know eagle f1s are not cheap but if it was me id buy a new one and fork out that £90 is their any house building or construction site near you i passed here one day and got two puntures with nails on the road could be the area that you driving round that you getting puntures from................

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 19 Oct 2008 at 04:46 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Hi Dave. I would bite the bullet and buy a new tyre.

Old 19 Oct 2008, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I have used it mate or something similar i had a 6-8mm puncture (tec screw in my tyre) on my motorbike miles from home i past this garage and they had something like what you have described you are supposed to put it in them before you get a puncture then it just circulates as a liquid around the tyres and if you one day get unlucky it plugs the hole with the liquid then that plug sets hard but the liquid inside the tyre still stays as a liquid so in theory you can get multable punctures and your tyre will be fine. It worked for my bike to get me home the next day but then i replace the tyre i would n't take the risk of not getting a new tyre especially on a bike but the leaflet i got said it would n't need replacing. It was supposed to be developped for moon buggies or something like that can't remember now it was 3 year ago but it is supposed to plug holes up to 10mm thick i think ......................
Old 19 Oct 2008, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

just get some tyre weld. i know it says you should only do 30mph as its only a temporary fix but i had it in 1 of my old cars and used to rag the sh1t out of it at crail dragstrip even doing massive burn outs and it was fine
Old 20 Oct 2008, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Thanks for all the advise guys - I'm going to go with the majority opinion and buy a new tyre from mytyres.co.uk
I'll keep the old tyre and if I come across a product I think is a suitable permanant repair I can go down that route another time.

Last time I ordered from mytyres - they told me to get the club secretary from subaru-impreza.org to email over a list of members so that we can get a 3% discount - who do I contact to get that done ?

Thanks,

David
Old 20 Oct 2008, 09:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
Last time I ordered from mytyres - they told me to get the club secretary from subaru-impreza.org to email over a list of members so that we can get a 3% discount - who do I contact to get that done ?

Thanks,

David
Hi David.

You have PM. "Discount code"