Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Impreza or Audi A3 3.2Quattro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2008, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Question Impreza or Audi A3 3.2Quattro

Hi guys.....Need some advice please....

Got 10k to buy a new car. My heart is saying Impreza but JESUS CHRIST....the cost of running one is abit high....!!!!
My other choice is an Audi A3 3.2 Quattro...which I can have converted to LPG to half my fuel bill...

Don't suppose you can run Impreza's on normal unleaded insted of the super unleaded ..????
Any way I can keep the cost of fuel down apart from don't drive it....????

Everytime I hear one i smile and say right i'm having one but then i think of the fuel bills...50/50 at the moment...

Gary
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Impreza or Audi A3 3.2Quattro

running cost of scoobs is a myth,drive like a fool,it'll swallow the whole tank...normally get iro 240 miles out a a full tank on mine,,
Old 15 Oct 2008, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Well to be honest as said drive the neck off it and it will eat the juice but all up to you if you take it handy you can get 17-20mpg round city and 28 round that on motorway but i would go for the scoob cause it will put some smile on your face its some machine
Old 15 Oct 2008, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

A3 or or impreza let me think.
impreza all the way ive just had mine and god am i happy with my choice i was going to have a leon fr or the TYPE r or golf gti or a A3.

RUNNING COST FOR IMPREZA WRX MPG 20 ISH
CO's 242 BAND K I THINK
INSURANCE GROUP 18
HEAD TURNING 10/10

RUNNING COST FOR A3 3.2 QUATTRO MPG 20 ISH
CO's 250 BAND L [YES THATS HIGHER THAN IMPREZA SO 430 YEAR TAX 2010}
INSUARANCE GROUP 18
HEAD TURNING 7/10
HOPE THIS HELPS I WOULD SPEND ABOUT 7K ON A NICE SCOOBY THEN HAVE 3K FOR RUNNING COSTS [PETROL]
Old 15 Oct 2008, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmogotwet View Post
A3 or or impreza let me think.
impreza all the way ive just had mine and god am i happy with my choice i was going to have a leon fr or the TYPE r or golf gti or a A3.

RUNNING COST FOR IMPREZA WRX MPG 20 ISH
CO's 242 BAND K I THINK
INSURANCE GROUP 18
HEAD TURNING 10/10

RUNNING COST FOR A3 3.2 QUATTRO MPG 20 ISH
CO's 250 BAND L [YES THATS HIGHER THAN IMPREZA SO 430 YEAR TAX 2010}
INSUARANCE GROUP 18
HEAD TURNING 7/10
HOPE THIS HELPS I WOULD SPEND ABOUT 7K ON A NICE SCOOBY THEN HAVE 3K FOR RUNNING COSTS [PETROL]
Well....the reason why i want to spend that much on one is because I've been looking at a few 06 plates with less than 10,000 miles on them...i'd rather get a low milage one....i've been reading on this site that there seems to be alot of people having problems with theirs....oh well...decisions decisions
Old 15 Oct 2008, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I had an old style A3 1.8T Quattro (2000X), and really hated it. My main reason for disliking it was the sports suspension which was teeth shatteringly hard. The Impreza is much more compliant and comfortable.

So make sure that you are happy with the ride of the Audi before you buy. I'm sure that they are perfect on billiard table smooth autobahns, but may be less suited to rutted British roads.

I bought a 2004 WRX wagon with Prodrive Pack and 48k miles for 8k a few months ago, and am very happy.

Howard

Last edited by Howard 555; 15 Oct 2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Thought of more to say
Old 16 Oct 2008, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Nows the time to but impreza's mate there value has dived lately with the credit crunch etc. I'm not clued up on audi's but i would say the running costs would be the same and as for lpg well thats 2 grand to fit plus i think it makes the car harder to sell as alot of peolpe are really wary of lpg still so you are limiting your customer base to sell it on to, and also if you don't do many miles a year it will take you a few years to get it back in which time you might be sick of the car!!!!!!!!!!Audi's are dearer cars to buy so aswell you should get a newer impreza for you money. I have seen sti's going for around 10 grand on 03-04 plates if you shop around and do a bit of haggling(it's a buyer's market at the moment on performance cars). In my opinion what car would i chose for the driving experience it would be the impreza but go for the sti if you can or a wrx with the prodrive pack fitted, as the stardard wrx is 221 bhp with ppp it is up 260bhp and the sti is 261bhp standard or an sti prodrive 300bhp, the sti is the flagship car for subaru so it is more hardcore than the wrx but the wrx is a nicer everyday drive and 0-60 times are still about 5.6secs so it still goes some. It depends on what horse power and performance you are happy with really and your budget. Good look with your choice mate..................
Old 16 Oct 2008, 04:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dide View Post
Nows the time to but impreza's mate there value has dived lately with the credit crunch etc. I'm not clued up on audi's but i would say the running costs would be the same and as for lpg well thats 2 grand to fit plus i think it makes the car harder to sell as alot of peolpe are really wary of lpg still so you are limiting your customer base to sell it on to, and also if you don't do many miles a year it will take you a few years to get it back in which time you might be sick of the car!!!!!!!!!!Audi's are dearer cars to buy so aswell you should get a newer impreza for you money. I have seen sti's going for around 10 grand on 03-04 plates if you shop around and do a bit of haggling(it's a buyer's market at the moment on performance cars). In my opinion what car would i chose for the driving experience it would be the impreza but go for the sti if you can or a wrx with the prodrive pack fitted, as the stardard wrx is 221 bhp with ppp it is up 260bhp and the sti is 261bhp standard or an sti prodrive 300bhp, the sti is the flagship car for subaru so it is more hardcore than the wrx but the wrx is a nicer everyday drive and 0-60 times are still about 5.6secs so it still goes some. It depends on what horse power and performance you are happy with really and your budget. Good look with your choice mate..................
There's quite a few wrx's on auto trader 05/06 plates for 10k with less than 20k miles on them. I think i'd rather go for less miles on them....From what i've been reading on this site is that there seems to be quite a few problems with the subaru's but i suppose it's the luck of the buy i guess...
It seems to me that Audi's are more reliable but i might be wrong. Plus they are more prone to get nicked...Think i'm trying to talk myself out of buying one but it's not working....
As far as my budget goes is not to bad really....Getting paid out for an injury in iraq helps But gotta wait until next month
Old 16 Oct 2008, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I would n't look to much into the reliable thing any car make can have problems and i wouldn't be so sure audi is as robust as subaru look at how many classic impreza are still around and most of them have had a hard life, i think when you come on these sites you here of alot of problems but in fact why these sites are so popular in the first place is that people who do have problems want to find out info so they turn to these sites also with impreza's it's more of a cult following i have had bikes and most times you pass a fellow biker they give you a nod and impreza's are the same most impreza drivers give you wave etc..........so i think you don't want to read to much into the problems, as a rule they are known for excellent reliablity. I bet there are lots of people out there having trouble free motoring who you never here of it's generally the bad stuff people want to moan about or get advice about. Also i think that if you are getting an 05-06 plate with low miles hopefully you should be ok. Yes i have had problems with mine 05 sti ppp but i'm just unlucky i suppose?????????? Another reason for problems is because of the performance side they are more likely to be driven hard and performace doesn't come cheap but saying that thats why you buy them or any other performance car for that matter IMO..............
Old 17 Oct 2008, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

I'm just comparing them with my Audi S6....14mpg
But saying that it's done 88k miles and never let me down once...
Anyway I took a WRX this morning for a test drive....Haven't stopped grinning....So i guess my mind is made up...Just gotta wait until Nov now to buy one....
Old 17 Oct 2008, 02:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Made the right choice mate.

If i was gonna go German it would only be for an M3 I'm afraid. Only European car that comes close to a scoob imo (actually if i could afford the new one the scoob would be history).

As for reliability, as with any high performance car you will have issues if you're not careful, but i have a 9 year old Sti with 80,000 miles on her and she hasn't missed a beat in the time i have owned it. Said it before and I'll say it again; look after the car and it will look after you. Regular servicing and mechanical sympathy is the way to go. Always warm up/ warm down and don't red line the poor thing at every oppurtunity etc.

Use the Scooby checklist on this site and look at as many as you reasonably can and you should get a good 'un.

Checklist can be found here;

Subaru Impreza - Buying Checklist
Old 17 Oct 2008, 05:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Think you made the right decision to go by that checklist as above and once you get a good one and look after it it will look after you
Old 17 Oct 2008, 06:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

I must admit that it is a really good check list

I think if I go for an 05/06 plate with no more than 20k miles on it...I should be (hopefully) good for a few miles trouble free...

Was looking at a few Sti's but from what I gather they are abit more high maintenance so i think i'll leave them well alone...

475 fully comp is the best ins quote I've had so far so I can't moan aboat that one...

The only thing that will do me in is that when i do get one i'll be in it every single day...and what's worse is that i def won't be working for atleast another 6 months my fuel bill will be MASSIVE
Old 17 Oct 2008, 06:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Fair play, I would recommend you go for a stanard WRX as you keep the practicality of the 4 door car and maintain comfort and fuel costs. When you feel like a blast you just need to plant the right foot and you'll br grinning all day.
Running costs are good, I'd say better than a 3.2 Audi anyway !!
Old 17 Oct 2008, 08:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

I really appreciate all the input from guys on here....I've been putting off buying an Impreza for yrs now.....Now i've seen the light