Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Impreza or Audi A3 3.2Quattro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2008, 05:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Re: Impreza or Audi A3 3.2Quattro

Top an bottom of it is audi`s are no doubt a better built more reliable package......................

Howevera performance car should be fun and an experience every time you drive it-in this respect i find audi`s dont deliver,mate of mines got an older RS4 estate an yer its quite nice inside/quick/smooth and well built but exciting its most definately not-even with about twice as much power as my scooby theres not much of a driving experience(imo)

Theyre just not shouty enough or egg you on like a scooby(just dont moan at me when it blows lol)

You just have to take the rough with the smooth-yer they aint the most reliable car in the world,but i think when you push em they`re one of the most rewarding to drive.(based on a classic scooby anyway)

As a reference ive had mine 5yr put 32,000 mile on it and the main aggro ive had were 5th gear syncro/hub etc which i took to zen performance to be sorted,whilst there i had lightened flywheel/exedy clutch in at the same time.

Only other thing thats gone wrong were a maf sensor-that really has been it other than tyres/brakes and just ya routine service stuff,oh an i cleaned the boost solenoid out once but that didnt cost anything.

Put alot of it down to using good quality oils in both engine/and box(since the aggro) and just basic mechanical sympathy like wayne mentioned earlier.

Theyre a performance car look after em an drive em right theyre only really as much trouble as the next,hardest parts getting a good one in the first place.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 10:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

I'm definatley gonna buy a wrx, but on some that are advertised they have the ppp fitted. How do you tell if this is fitted or not..Should the car come with a certificate to prove it's fitted or can you tell by just looking at the car..???
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 11:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyburton View Post
I'm definatley gonna buy a wrx, but on some that are advertised they have the ppp fitted. How do you tell if this is fitted or not..Should the car come with a certificate to prove it's fitted or can you tell by just looking at the car..???

Should come with a Prodrive ecu and certificate
Prodrive Stainless rear back box (Round tip) not ovel.
Prodrive mid-pipe
Prodrive Silicone intercooler y-piece

Old 19 Oct 2008, 01:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Thanks Pete
Old 19 Oct 2008, 02:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Young Scooby

You test drove the A3 yet or not? I would still test drive both of them before i made my mind up though then at least that way you will know you made a more informed choice..........
Old 19 Oct 2008, 02:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dide View Post
You test drove the A3 yet or not? I would still test drive both of them before i made my mind up though then at least that way you will know you made a more informed choice..........
Yes mate I have and the new Focus ST.....It is a difficult decision....

The ST is cheaper on Ins and Tax per year....Same bhp as a standard wrx as well...obviously not the same performance and handling..

I will be keeping the wrx for atleast 5 yrs hopefully longer and I'm guessing it will hold the value more in the length of itime I own it....
Old 19 Oct 2008, 02:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Young Scooby

You test drove the A3 yet? I would test drive them both before i made my choice then at least you know you have made a more informed choice............
Old 19 Oct 2008, 03:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Sorry mate did n't mean to send that twice. But wouldn't even consider the st front wheel drive for a start and the wrx will kill it............And if you have fancied a wrx for years get one ........
Old 19 Oct 2008, 03:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Been wanting one for 13 yrs now....
So I think it's about time I got one......
Never had one in the past because I thought they're a nightmare to run etc
Old 19 Oct 2008, 03:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I was the same always fancied one then i took the plunge i've had 3 now started off with an 2l gx, then an wrx, and now a sti ppp. I don't regret it even though it has cost alot at least i can say i have done it, and it's about how they make you feel and everytime i am in mine i totally love it. The wrx is alot better on the juice around town i think i was getting 23 mpg and on a run about 27 taking it steady which IMO is livable. Considering the 2l non turbo was only getting 29 on a run and 26 around town...............the sti is 17-19 around town and 24 at most on a run taking it east ochhhh........
Old 19 Oct 2008, 03:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dide View Post
I was the same always fancied one then i took the plunge i've had 3 now started off with an 2l gx, then an wrx, and now a sti ppp. I don't regret it even though it has cost alot at least i can say i have done it, and it's about how they make you feel and everytime i am in mine i totally love it. The wrx is alot better on the juice around town i think i was getting 23 mpg and on a run about 27 taking it steady which IMO is livable. Considering the 2l non turbo was only getting 29 on a run and 26 around town...............the sti is 17-19 around town and 24 at most on a run taking it east ochhhh........
JESUUUUUUUUS

I'm only getting 14mpg on my Audi around town....Always thought the wrx were worse on fuel than that.....Might even save some pennies on the fuel then.....
Old 19 Oct 2008, 03:56 PM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyburton View Post
Been wanting one for 13 yrs now....
Never had one in the past because I thought they're a nightmare to run etc
They can be but its "usually" more the classic shape scoobys thats prone to being more aggro.I get about 18mpg driving about locally and would guess around 35mpg on a run (off boost they are economical-for what they are)between around 75-85mph they do usual 2ltr petrol mpg which i thinks quite good.

Last edited by uk dave; 19 Oct 2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 03:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Young Scooby

They aren't as bad as you think I worked out my fuel economy properly so i know it's quite precise i don't hammer it all the time but i do alot of it................
Old 19 Oct 2008, 04:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Mmmm Think that's me convinced....But now wondering if I should buy a wrx that has the ppp fitted or just a standard one... 06 plate i'm after...but also seen a few 07plates within my budget....all between 10k & 20k miles...
Old 19 Oct 2008, 04:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Depends on what you want the ppp will be more thirsty but that extra power will make alot of difference also the ppp are a more sort after car so they will hold there value more which means you will probably have to get a slightly older one but they are putting out near sti preformance for a little more than wrx money.............