Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Buying 01-05 WRX some newbie questions please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Sep 2008, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Talking Buying 01-05 WRX some newbie questions please

hi all,
I am planning to buy a WRX soon and i just need some questions answered before i buy. most likly easy ones, so please can any one answer any of these if not all.

1. i understrand the stock WRX is 220BHP and with a tune on stock turbo and addons make around 270bhp. How ever from having a 350BHP mk4 golf 6 months ago torque and power wont be up to my expectations

My plan is to install a miltek sports cat DP and catback, STI TMIC, uprated DV, Samco Hoses, hi flow intake

What turbo can i bolt on in the stock location to make 350 - 370+ flywheel HP?

2. i understand most people go with the VF series turbo chargers or the hg04-18G/20g...

what are your views on these: Subaru WRX / STI: atpturbo.com
GT28RS, GT2871R, GT3071R ETC, internal gated stock location.

2871r should make 370ish.

3. What is the difference of the WRX and the STI?

4. I have seen that the earlier 2000 to 2002 WRX's have different headlights and scoop. Is there any difference of these in the way that the bolt on turbos will fit etc?

plz advise
thanks!
mike
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2008, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Buying 01-05 WRX some newbie questions please

Can't answer most of your questions as have no experience with anything other than classics (pre '00). BUT, i would say that judging by what you are saying it would make an awful lot of sense to start off with an Sti rather than a WRX.
This is because of the difference you ask about.Sti's come standard with 280 Bhp. They also have better suspension, better brakes and forged internals to cope with that power. An Sti also comes standard with the Sti TMIC obviously (though a FMIC is the way to go for serious power gains). By the time you've bought a WRX and then modded it to get 280 Bhp + all supporting mods to cope with the added power you'd have spent more than you would have paid for the Sti anyway and still only have a WRX, albeit with a lot of power. The Sti will simply be a better launching pad for the kind of power gains you're talking about.

Others may disagree, but thats my 2 cents worth.

Whatever you get, good luck with it and ENJOY!
Old 24 Sep 2008, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Hi Mike.

Info: VF Series turbo

Old 25 Sep 2008, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I agree with what rik said, its a waste of time getting a wrx if you want to mod it that much i got a wrx them sold it to get a sti ppp 3 months later instead of moding it. You should just get an sti which is 265bhp in the uk, the wrx gearbox and clutch might n't be up to putting 370+ bhp anyway but i've read sti can handle just over 400 bhp with no strenghting needed I'm no expert but thats what i would do.....................Hope you like the impreza's they're great cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25 Sep 2008, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ok sti seems the better option then!
is there any places near london which tune the imprezas? cutom mapping and fitting the turbo etc
Old 27 Sep 2008, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

look on the web at area 52 autosport or scooby mania i think it's nottingham way which is a bit of a hike but gives you info on tuning packages or try scooby clinic