Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Help please. Contiplating a purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2008, 03:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: Welcome nellymeister joins our Forums...

Hello everyone, I am extremely new to Subaru's and I am just contiplating a purchase. I live in CHina but return to N Ireland maybe twice a year where I like to keep a car at hand. I have been looking at a 1997 P1 WRX STI Type R. My brother has just checked it out and he says the car drives very very well, interior is spotless etc. No strange noises, smoke, rattles. The car itself is with a private owner who seems to know alot about the car although the history is causing me some concern. The car was a jap import into the UK, he then bought it and brought to N Ireland. The car has had an engine rebuild and the owner claims that he would always recomend buying a type r with a new engine. He also stated that the car MUST have octane booster added to the fuel as failure to do so will destroy the con rods. The car is due MOT in Nov, I have said that I would like him to put it through the mot before I consider to buy, he has agreed to this. I know there is no "bullet proof" answer to buying second hand, especailly such a highly tuned engine. My brother and I are a bit nervous as we did not realise that the impreza would be so fragile, is this true or an exaggeration? Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. I have also looked at some models from Calder Performance Cars in Scotland which seem very nice but prices are significantly higher. The car will never be for everyday use but for weekends and maybe one or two weeks a year. Looking forward to heraing from you all. Many Thanks Neil
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2008, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Help please. Contiplating a purchase

Hey mate,

Couple of points to make really. A P1 is based on the Type R but is not strictly speaking a Type R. Type R's were JDM only (though a few were officially exported to Australia late on in the classic range). The car you are looking at is a Type R as P1's were only ever for the UK market. A p1 would not need octane booster as the ECU is mapped from new for UK fuel. And this leads me on to the 2nd point;

Quote:
I know there is no "bullet proof" answer to buying second hand, especailly such a highly tuned engine. My brother and I are a bit nervous as we did not realise that the impreza would be so fragile, is this true or an exaggeration? Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated
Seems that a lot of JDM imports into the UK seem to require rebuilds and i can only speculate that it is because they have not been properly mapped for UK fuel, or are abused by their owners. I'm sure cars here go bang too (i live in Tokyo and drive an Sti Type RA) but it really isn't all that common and I'm yet to meet any Impreza owner who has had to have a rebuild. Mines on just under 80,000 miles and it runs beautifully on the original engine and still performs as it should. If you do end up buying an import that isn't mapped for UK fuel i strongly advise you to get it mapped as this will make it run a lot more safely. So far as I'm concerned octane booster should only be a short term solution. be aware though that Mapping is costly.

On the plus side, the Type R's and RA's are awesome, awesome motors and will out perform almost anything out there. They will also run well and problem free provided you look after it and service regulalry as you would with any high performance car.
Old 21 Sep 2008, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Hey mate,

Couple of points to make really. A P1 is based on the Type R but is not strictly speaking a Type R. Type R's were JDM only (though a few were officially exported to Australia late on in the classic range). The car you are looking at is a Type R as P1's were only ever for the UK market. A p1 would not need octane booster as the ECU is mapped from new for UK fuel. And this leads me on to the 2nd point;

Seems that a lot of JDM imports into the UK seem to require rebuilds and i can only speculate that it is because they have not been properly mapped for UK fuel, or are abused by their owners. I'm sure cars here go bang too (i live in Tokyo and drive an Sti Type RA) but it really isn't all that common and I'm yet to meet any Impreza owner who has had to have a rebuild. Mines on just under 80,000 miles and it runs beautifully on the original engine and still performs as it should. If you do end up buying an import that isn't mapped for UK fuel i strongly advise you to get it mapped as this will make it run a lot more safely. So far as I'm concerned octane booster should only be a short term solution. be aware though that Mapping is costly.

On the plus side, the Type R's and RA's are awesome, awesome motors and will out perform almost anything out there. They will also run well and problem free provided you look after it and service regulalry as you would with any high performance car.
Hi, thank you so much for the feedback, for someone like me it does seem a bit of a mine field to be honest. Very interesting on what you say on the model types that is very helpful, also on the octane booster. I will look at another car I think maybe from a recognized importer. Good to know your car is reliable. The more I learn about the impreza the more I want to own one. What is the ultimate model in your opinion? Many Thanks Neil.
Old 21 Sep 2008, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Ultimate Impreza??? Everyone has there own opinion on this one and i personally like the classic Sti Type RA's/R's because of the DCCD and the close ratio box which makes them very, very quick. But I think most would agree that it would have to be an Sti and that the 22B is pick of the bunch. That said it's not my ultimate Sti. If i had 5 million yen to drop on an Impreza it it would have to be the Spec C Type RA-R or 2nd choice an S204. Love the 22B but don't think it's a match for these particular cars and its a lot of money to pay for a 10 year old car.

Tbh though you can't go far wrong with any Sti, and though I'm personally a classic fan, all Sti's are awesome motors.
Old 21 Sep 2008, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

hi their with that car you were looking at it all depends how it was driven they are a reliable engine once looked after like anything else if you look after it it will be reliable i own the sti v6 type ra all depends what model you after i dont have little luxuries like sound deadening, air con and electric windows all gone to save weight and the car i think a bit more hard core if thats what you into have 60k miles on mine well looked after and its running like a dream you cant go wrong when buying these cars but MAKE sure you do get a cherished car cause get a bad one you will have problems hope it helps...........................