Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

OIL QUESTION

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2008, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

OIL QUESTION

Hi all have a sti v6 type ra with a EJ207 engine i use a genuine filter and 10w 40 castrol magnatec oil find its brilliant engine runs great, i always never run the engine cold over 3000rpm, coldest here in cork goes to min of -7degrees and max with a good summer 26degrees. the 10w 40 is semi syntetic and heard by a few friends that are mechanics to use fully syntetic 5w 30 and some saying the oil i use now is perfect. What do people think and what do ye use cheers??????????????

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 13 Sep 2008 at 11:23 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2008, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: OIL QUESTION

Hi mate. Wont use anything but fully synth in mine and most STi owners will tell you the same. Most people and the experts seem to go with Silkolene or Motul. Use Motul 300V in mine and it made a world of difference after i bought the car. I use 15w 50 in the summer when i do a lot more driving and its very hot here, and a 5 or 10W 40 in the winter.

Read throught this thread and it will give you a ton of helpful ideas;

Oil advice and recommendations here

Also be careful with the rear Diff oil. You have the DCCD and you really sould use oil that is suitable for LSD's, again the above thread should help. I use Motul 90 PA which i find to be great.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Cheers Wanye great read, changed the rear diff oil with the subaru genuine oil here the mechanic their said that it suitable for LSD's and that all the sti's use this oil i dont know the grade of it to be honest used the same oil for gearbox 2nd and 3rd are a very slight bit notchy is this normal think they have double-cone synchros dont they?????? I drive the car hard rarely, had this with my DC2s aswell and never had a gearbox rebuild

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 14 Sep 2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 12:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

My RA has always been notchy going from 2nd to 3rd and Impreza boxes are known for being notchy. If you're using the stuff Subaru suggest then should be ok. I don't use it because the Subaru oil for the STi is even more expensive than the Motul.

wether you're driving hard or not it is crucial you have a decent oil in the box and engine. The gearboxes on Imprezas are renowned for going, esp the 5th gear synchro. Check out Type-RA.co.uk - Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA, Impreza WRX STi Type RA, Impreza Type RA V Limited, Scooby V. Ltd, visit the WRX forum & Subaru forum for all the threads on worn synchros and blown boxes. I also rarely thrash mine but my 5th synchro is on the way out so im just doubling the clutch with each change to put off the inevitable. Will be upgrading to a new age 6 speed when i finally get the work done as they are more robust.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 12:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Ya that subaru oil for box and diff was not cheap great info again cheers, funny as you say about the 5th gear mine is a slight bit hard to get in it dont crunch into gear but a little hard to get in fingers crossed it will last me a long while
Old 14 Sep 2008, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Might be nothing but I'd consider taking care when going into 5th. Mine started like that, it then started crunching slightly when shifting at high revs. It quickly progressed to where i cant get it into 5th without an awful noise above 2000 Rpm, hence having to double the clutch when going 4th - 5th and back down to 4th.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

ya i'll take it easy going into 5th say it pricey for a synchro rebuild any other problem areas in these cars aswel wayne
Old 14 Sep 2008, 01:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Took my 05 STI for it's regular 5,000 Km oil change during the week. The guys at NRG Automotive are now using Elf Excellium 10W50 which they assure me is as good as, if not better than the Motul they previously supplied.

My previous knowledge of Elf is limited to advertising I've seen at F1 events, can someone give me any feedback on this oil?

Cheers
Old 14 Sep 2008, 02:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
ya i'll take it easy going into 5th say it pricey for a synchro rebuild any other problem areas in these cars aswel wayne
Tbh, the synchro replacement is cheaper than i expected. Dave had some work done on his gearbox and from what i could tell from the invoice it worked out quite reasonable. parts are 350'ish plus labour on top. Having said that I'm in rush to spend that kind of money until i have to. As for other stuff, the only thing perculiar to the impreza I'd say would be the MAF but I'm sure others could think of others. I've had a MAF go and cost me 250. Other than that same stuff you'd have to worry about on any car. Oh, and the dreaded 'DCCD biteback' in the STi RA's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufi_joe View Post
Took my 05 STI for it's regular 5,000 Km oil change during the week. The guys at NRG Automotive are now using Elf Excellium 10W50 which they assure me is as good as, if not better than the Motul they previously supplied.

My previous knowledge of Elf is limited to advertising I've seen at F1 events, can someone give me any feedback on this oil?

Cheers
No experience of it 'm afraid. Not heard mention of it on any other sites either. Ask oilman in the Oil Recommendations thread. he will be able to answer any questions you might have.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 05:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

great cheers good to know
Old 15 Sep 2008, 01:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Hello !!!!!
I read your script and I got panicked......I am using for the rear diff, Motul Gear 300 75w90, it is suitable for my subaru wrx my 2002 bug eye? Or she has the LSD as well?
ciao
MAx
Old 15 Sep 2008, 04:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

have a look at ''gear oils'' in technical general that will help
Old 16 Sep 2008, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re the rear diff oil question. Seems to have come direct from Motul but still basically answers the question.

FOR DCCD EQIPPED IMPREZAS

NOT SUITABLE
Motul Gear 300 75W90
100% synthetic, ester based, gearbox and rear axle lubricant for competition and high perfomance use.
Suitable for use in the following Limited Slip Differentials (LSD) types:
Viscous Coupling (VC)
Helical gear
SureTrak
Please note
Gear 300 is not suitable for ramp and plate type LSDs such as Subaru's Driver Controlled Centre Differential (DCCD) arrangement. Please select Motul's 90 PA LS for this application.
For BMW specific LSDs select Motul's Hypo Synt 75w-90

SUITABLE
Motul 90PA LS SAE90
Specially formulated for Limited Slip Differentials (LSD) with very high lubricating power which decreases friction and wear.
Conforms to API GL4 and GL5 / MIL-L-2105D
Properties
Monograde lubrcant
Viscosity grade SAE J 306 90
Density at 15degC ASTM D1298 0.895
Viscosity at 40degC ASTM D445 146mm2/s
Viscosity at 100degC ASTM D445 14.9mm2/s
Viscosity index ASTM D2270 102
Flash point (degC) ASTM D92 212
Pour point (degC) ASTM D97 -30
Please note
for BMW specific LSDs select Motuls Hypo Synt LS

RA drivers take note and beware!

Last edited by rikimaru; 16 Sep 2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 11:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I would recommend a decent 5w-40 fully synthetic oil for your engine rather than the semi-synthetic Magnatec. Silkolene Pro S 5w-40 or Motul 300v are the best oils for your car. The Magnatec is ok, as a semi-synthetic in a normal car, but it won't last as long and will not provide as good lubrication.

The Silkolene Silktran Syn 5 will be fine for your diff. It's a fully synthetic ester based oil, that is basically the gear/diff version of the Pro S.

We deal with a lot of guys with Imprezas and the above oils have worked well for them.