Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Grinding sound from rear while turning right

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2008, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Question Grinding sound from rear while turning right

Hi all. My name is Mike. I am here today to ask of your help. This is my first time on this site, and I can't say that I will be an avid member. But I like my subaru, and what better place to get info than from the people who love them too. So I hope that some of you will be kind enough to give me some insight. Here it goes. I own a 1993 Subaru Impreza. Today I drove down a friends driveway on his farm at a hearty speed, hit a couple bumps and braked hard. I made two right turns at stop signs with no problem. Drove another 2 km or so, and was on a moderate right turn at about 60km/h and heard for the first time a pulsating grinding sound. Now it is doing it on every right turn. I have made sure that nothing is touching the tires, or close to them. The drum brakes in the back were done about 40,000 ago. Do these cars have cv joints in the back? Is it a LSD?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and Thank You in advance.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2008, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Grinding sound from rear while turning right

hi there is it a AWD impreza if it is ya their are cv joints in the rear. The outer cv joint makes more of a clicking noise when worn and the inner cv joint makes a more knock knock when worn but i would check these first cause might just be them but to me sounds more like the diff id douth it has a LSD but some one might QUOTE me??? on that i would think its a viscous diff these units shouldn't clonk or make a noise at all. With an LSD under some circumstances these do clonk and it normal, but i would check the diff second cause would say thats your problem hope it helps..................

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 30 Aug 2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

UPDATE. Been busy moving, haven't checked back till now. I crawled under there today, and noticed something i didn't before. The big spring on the shock is extended, and is resting on the top inside of the rear drivers side tire. I wonder if the strut ripped off? wont know till I get a chance to take the tire off. Let me know what you know. As always, thank you in advance.

Mike
Old 13 Sep 2008, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoItYourself View Post
UPDATE. Been busy moving, haven't checked back till now. I crawled under there today, and noticed something i didn't before. The big spring on the shock is extended, and is resting on the top inside of the rear drivers side tire. I wonder if the strut ripped off? wont know till I get a chance to take the tire off. Let me know what you know. As always, thank you in advance.

Mike
Least you found the problem that great a small job so, never seen a problem like that before did you hit a pothole recently??????????? heard of the sti clonking shock a few times mine does it the very odd time back drivers side the shock clonks under load but greased it with lithium based grease and it done the trick for a long while..................

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 13 Sep 2008 at 12:29 AM.