Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

ENGINE QUESTION

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2008, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

ENGINE QUESTION

Before i got my scoob got told to stay away from them from other mechanics i know cause of the big end bearing failure problem. It a classic v6 that i got. But ended up buying one you could be dead tomorrow so took the chance, didnt want to be buying a troublesome sti and fixing it all the time, heard that the GD chassis sti has a stronger engine than the classic sti, how true is this???? Did any one ever hear of this problem and is it just down to faulty engine design or what, that this happens from?????? Any info be great

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 30 Aug 2008 at 01:28 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2008, 03:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: ENGINE QUESTION

I think Impreza engines, especially classics, get a bit of a bad rap tbh. You treat the engine badly you'll get what you deserve. However regular oil changes with a good fully synthetic oil (Motul would be my choice every time) and services when Subaru suggest you have them and you'll go a long way to getting a long and (relatively) problem free life out of it. Also show a little mechanical sympathy when driving. There is no need to red line the poor thing every time you take it out, peak power occurs well before the red line and drops off quickly so theres little performance advantage to be gained anyway. Also if you do a quick search on any Impreza forum (or Evo, or Mazda, or Nissan) and you'll find stories of engines going whatever the age. Plenty of stories of new age and even very low milers with blown engines.

The gearboxes on the classics however are quite another story...
Old 30 Aug 2008, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: ENGINE QUESTION

True point i never redline my car max i would bring revs to is 6500rpm occassionly and regurly service it but when you hear these stories it would make you think how hard do people drive them for the engine to blow or for whatever reason.............