Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

problems with my 99 turdo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2008, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

problems with my 99 turdo

Hello,

I just picked up my new car today, it's a 99 Impreza turbo. It's green with 17" gold prodrive alloys. It has a full service history and one previous owner. It has the big Brembo brake conversion, but I'm feeling a small amout of judder as I pull up which worries me, as I hate to think how expensive new discs are.

It drove pretty well the 250 miles home, all motorway unfortunately, but it coped well. The only other problems were that there was a faint smell of burning oil when I stopped and the clutch didn't come straight back up a couple of times under acceleration.

Can any one shed any light on the problems I've mentioned, and can anyone reccomend a decent garage in the area that knows Subarus? I'm in Somerset, Taunton area.

Thanks,

Richard
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2008, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: problems with my 99 turdo

With the brakes do you feel that they braking uneven or the sequence out of balance if so could be air in system bleed the brakes should sort that problem. If it feels more of a sharp vibration and it dont stop through and straight it could be a warped disc. Sure it was not a smell from the clutch, then with the pedal could be a faulty master cyclinder hope it helps
Old 22 Aug 2008, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

brakes could possibly be warped disc .burning oil smell could also be a rocker cover gasket due to position they tend to leak onto the exhaust heat sheilds have a look for staining on the heat sheilds its a common problem .clutch one not too sure about but the above sounds a good starting point .
Old 22 Aug 2008, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: problems with my 99 turbo

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I spoke to the previous owner today and he said they were the 335mm Godspeed grooved discs and Brembo caliper set, so he'd be very surprised if they had warped. The rear discs are looking pretty shabby, not much of the rust has been cleard of by the pads which I'm surprised about, as I've braked pretty hard lately. They are red pads, does this mean that they are "redstuff" ones?? Is it common for the rear calipers to perform poorly? The judder is only as I pull up to stop, and can feel the disc catching as it goes round.

Thanks for the advice about the burning oil smell, I'll check the rocker cover gaskets if I manage to find them, never seen an engine bay so crowded.

Apparently it's not uncommon for the clutch to stick when I searched it. Could be several different causes. It hasn't happened since so I'll just have to watch it.

Very pleased with the car otherwise, it's my first Scooby, so I'm happy that it has all the goodies like the prodrive alloys, exhaust and suspension kit, anti lift kit, bump steer mod(??). It even has a little guage in the engine bay that shows fuel pressure.

Cheers for your opinions.

Rich
Old 23 Aug 2008, 02:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

1) Are they the right pads up front cause if you put different spec pads with what godspeed recommend they could be the problem causing the judder especially with the grooved discs, 2)About the rear pads redstuff pads are made by EBC brakes so should say it if their are at the back of the pad
3)You would always know that theirs always more braking to front than the rear but i would bleed the brakes i use the Ferodo DOT4 to bring the brakes back to life again it cheap a bottle and easy to do yourself if you would be keen to
Great cars enjoy it
Keep it between the ditch ha ha ha ha

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 23 Aug 2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 12:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

here is the area you need to look in on both sides of the engine dont worry youll soon find your way round its all the fun of owning one look after it and it will look after you you will have to make the piccy a bit bigger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JDM-Subaru-EJ20-T-Ver%205.jpg (20.8 KB, 18 views)