Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

93wrx overheating!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2008, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

93wrx overheating!

Hey guys,I recently replaced the head gaskets in my 93 wrx but when starting it up within 10 mins it started overheating on me, the top rad hose was hot and the bottom was cold but the thermostat housing was roasting,the waterpump was checked recently and its fine and thermostat is relatively new also.
When the car overheated a few months back I got the rad checked and it was completely blocked so i replaced it but could the new one be blocked now?cos half of it was hot and half was cold!
I also have a feeling the heater rad is blocked so i bypassed it...is that ok to do?
Is there a certain way to fill the cooling system cos I may have caused it to airlock?
Id really appreciate your advise guys im only dying to give it a spin
Cheers lads
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 06:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: 93wrx overheating!

Hi sean. It could be an airlock, I found this reply in a thread from UK Dave.

"airlock "

Quote:
Undo the radiator type cap on the expansion tank. Near the power steering pump and squeeze the rad top and bottom hoses aswell as smaller heater hoses etc. You may see bubbles in the top as you do it thats good, once your happy theres no more air you can get rid of try starting the car with the lid still off can't remember as its been a while since i drained coolant wether it will rise immediately or not (KEEP AN EYE ON IT) as it circulates. Put cap back on after 5 or 10 mins and keep checking the coolant daily-though.

Last edited by 2002pete; 22 Oct 2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04 Aug 2008, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hey Pete,
just did what you said this morning and it worked!!
Im delighted..nearly forgot how beautiful it is to drive
Thanks a million mate its really appreciated!!

Sean_C
Old 04 Aug 2008, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Old 28 Jun 2009, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi there ive gota 1997 wrx sti. the temperture gauge seems to say that the engine is overheating.an mechanics said its possibly a blown head gasket but some also say its a blocked hose or something.it only overheats when i boost it but it seems to be fine when i just cruise.this has been happening over the last 4-5 months now and the car dosent seem to be damaged.the gauge goes up and down if u boost it goes up and if you keep a constint speed it goes down???? sometimes bubbles come out of the overflow only when i drive fast.there is no oil in the coolant and theres no coolant in the oil.i really dont no whats wrong with the car but its been 4-5 months now so i wuld really appreciate if you can help me.cheers
Old 28 Jun 2009, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra555 View Post
sometimes bubbles come out of the overflow only when i drive fast.

Hi.

Could be a sticking thermostat.

Old 28 Jun 2009, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
hi there ive gota 1997 wrx sti. the temperture gauge seems to say that the engine is overheating.an mechanics said its possibly a blown head gasket but some also say its a blocked hose or something.it only overheats when i boost it but it seems to be fine when i just cruise.this has been happening over the last 4-5 months now and the car dosent seem to be damaged.the gauge goes up and down if u boost it goes up and if you keep a constint speed it goes down???? sometimes bubbles come out of the overflow only when i drive fast.there is no oil in the coolant and theres no coolant in the oil.i really dont no whats wrong with the car but its been 4-5 months now so i wuld really appreciate if you can help me.cheers
As Pete said could be an airlock to but I wouldnt be driving it bud till its fixed and Id sort it asap as you dont want to warp head in the engine expensive

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 29 Jun 2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 06:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hey

ive changed the thermostst like 2 mounths ago. and if it was the head gasket the mechanics said it would ov blown up long time ago so i dont no who to listen to because ive gotten quotes from about 10 different mechanics and the crooked ones suggest its a headgasket and the mta mechanics(new zealand certified) say its not. i can drive say 100km-150km sweet then itL rise in tempature then drop.but mechanics also say that it should over heat in a couple ov kilometres.but sometimes it depends on the outside temperture.if its raining and cold it will keep chill but if its scorching hot then it will heat up faster than usual????
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Quote:

You can still have a headgasket gone with no signs of oil or water mixing. Does it lose any water. You can have a headgasket gone that will allow water into the cylinders and out of the exhaust. Also sometimes you can get a small amount of compression into the water system that will cause it to heat up. Have had this in the passed with a few cars i have had in. Otherwise could be bloked hose or heater matrix. Check the temps of all the pipes. A failing water pump is another possibility. And also the oil helps to cool the engine.

Hope this may help a bit
Old 01 Jan 2011, 01:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Young Scooby
Paid & Proud

ive got similar prob,on idle mine is no probs,driving no probs,put foot down,temp gauge goes up,but dosent loose or use any water,no oils /water mixing,only when i give it some temp rises.blows cold air through heater until i boot it,but then,temp goes up ?
wow my head hurts lol
Old 06 Feb 2012, 10:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I was told years ago, when filling the coolant back up after service or engine replacement you should always do the following. It always works and works particularly well with early Liberty's which are particularly bad for air locks.

* # 1 always make sure you know how much coolant you have put back in, get a bottle with a scale or some such thing. If you have only put two or three litres in you have a problem.
* When filling lift the front of the car up as far as possible. ( A truck jack is handy)
* Put a funnel in the filler so that it seals in the hole (insulation taped helps) the bigger the better
* Fill the car through the funnel with the car running, as the thermostat opens it will begin to take water very slowly

If it hasn't taken 5 litres keep going, keep an eye on the temperature guage, if it starts to get hot, turn it off wait until it cools and start again.

I know this all sucks but is the only way to fix it that I know of and I have been playing with Subarus and others that play with them for years.

Cheers

Jade