Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Fuel Consumption

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2008, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Fuel Consumption

First of all just wanted to sey hello to every one as im a new member here

Now this mite sound a bit of a stupid question, but im a newbie with subarus heh.

Anyways i bought my first subaru and ive had it a few months now, Its just a Basic Subaru impreza Sport Gx, As im only 19 and this is the only type of subaru i cant get insured on at the moment

What im worried about is the miles per gallon im getting out of this subaru, its just a normal sport with only 125 bhp but i seem to be gettin 17 MPG maybe 18 if im lucky, filled my tank up about 13 times now and the average is about 17 MPG, now take in mind this is around town and not on the motorway but surley this is a bit low for a bog standard 125Bhp sport?

i did have a problem with the Lamda sensor when i first purchased the car which can decrease fuel comsumption but got that replaced and works fine now, so just cant seem to work out why im gettin such low mileage?

there is a aftermarket sports backbox which has been added to the car but thats the only modification thats been done and i wouldnt think it would bring it to that low of a MPG rate.

Lol i mite sound stupid but what are MPG are you gettin around town, and what type of subaru are you driving.

Thanks.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: Fuel Consumption

wow that is low!

i have a sti version 3 running around 290bhp with a few mods, like full exhaust, dv, induction and that but i get nearly 24 on the motorway and around 20 local driving, that is unless im booting it everywhere but even then the lowest i have got is 14!

does she fell like its running ok?? i generally use opimax in mine
Old 04 Aug 2008, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Well to be honest ive noticed over that last few days that the car isnt running at its best.

The acceleration has become sluggish, not as much responce from the throttle.

Also i have noticed that pretty much every day now for the last 5 days ive got in my car in the morning and ive drove out of my house to the nearest juntion and when i brake at the junction the revs are sticking on about 3,000 for a few seconds then it will drop back down to the normal idle revs.

Do you think this could maybe be running rich in fuel? like i said i had problems with a lamda sensor when i first bought the car but i got it replaced and has been fine for the last few months, but i actually felt one of the symtomns coming back the other day where the car shutters and kangaroos whill pulling off from a junction but this had only happened once so far.
Old 04 Aug 2008, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i seriously think you need to get your car in to a garage mate as i get around 25 mpg and im running around 300bhp i get around 12 on a track day , so something is seriously wrong with your car, im no mechanic but it could be lots of things air flow meter injection system etc.. etc... get it on a dyonostic system they should give you a good idea but either way that aint right fella
Old 04 Aug 2008, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for your Reply , gwrscoob.

I took it to the local garage to to have it hooked up to the diagnostic computer to read the ECU, There were no fault codes, and he sed all the readings he was getting were pefectly fine.

Im a bit confused on what to do now? if i took it to a garage, what would i be asking them to look at? as the diagnostics system is saying averything is running fine

All i know is that the acceleration isnt as good as it used to be and the mileage is very poor, also had a few times where i have come to a junction and the revs and stuck onto 3000 revs and then fell down a few secs later
Old 06 Aug 2008, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Hello mate,
I think there is defo something wrong somewhere. I have an sti ppp, which around the doors get around 17-19 mpg. But also I used to have a gx and I was getting on average 25-27 mpg around town or 29-32 on a run the most I ever managed was 35 but that was a one off. I've got no idea what could be the matter? Unless your fuel tank has a gapping hole in it because that is seriously low mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish you good luck with finding the problem mate hope it's not to costly
Old 06 Aug 2008, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

no doubt at all you have a problem...