Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Under-Braked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2008, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Under-Braked

Am I alone in thinking the Impreza is under-braked? I felt this as soon as I bought my first Subaru a few weeks ago, and having just had 4 new discs and pads fitted, my view isn't much changed. Perhaps I am just used to cars which have too much servo assistance to the brakes.

Howard
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2008, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

You certainly are not. This seems to be a commom complaint, especailly if you only have the 2 pots at the front which are practically good for nothing and never inspired confidence when pressing on. I have the 4 pots on my current Impreza and even they aren't super, but they are a lot better than the 2 pots.

When i test drove a few of Evo's last year (i nearly did you know) that really put the awfulness of Impreza brakes into perspective. IMO, my RA is a better car than any of the Evos i drove, but the brakes on the Evo were so much better.
Old 06 Jun 2008, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Anders52
Yeah still have the 2 pots on mine and they really are grim. Thats the next mod methinks.
Old 07 Jun 2008, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

lol, yep, uprated disks pads and brakes line help, but only real fix is add some 6 pots
Old 07 Jun 2008, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
lol, yep, uprated disks pads and brakes line help, but only real fix is add some 6 pots
6 pots would be Slight overkill I'd say. Decent uprated (eg non-Subaru) 4 pots should be more than adequate unless you're running a lot more power than standard or are gonna be doing a few hard track days. I can confidently say that the Brembo 4 pots on the Evo were a massive, massive improvement on the 4 pots on my RA.
Old 07 Jun 2008, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
6 pots would be Slight overkill I'd say. Decent uprated (eg non-Subaru) 4 pots should be more than adequate unless you're running a lot more power than standard or are gonna be doing a few hard track days. I can confidently say that the Brembo 4 pots on the Evo were a massive, massive improvement on the 4 pots on my RA.

ahh might be the extra power im running lol
Old 08 Jun 2008, 08:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Crap brakes coupled with crap ABS = worst part of em-my 106gti before this had amazing brakes for what they had to stop and the abs were un noticeble to be honest,whereas on mine it cuts in waaay too early-hate the brakes and steering if im honest-too light.
Old 08 Jun 2008, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Brake upgrading

Isn't the problem with the design that the servos which power the brakes are too weedy? Can the servo be beefed up without moving to 8-pots (or whatever)?

Also, if I installed 4-pots, would I have to replace the current discs too? I imagine that I would.

Howard
Old 03 Jul 2008, 07:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

yep std 2pot brakes use a 277mm disc and the later 4pots use a 294mm...................

they are "under-servoed" as std which can help when braking at the limit, however you only get out the effort you put into the pedal