Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Front and Rear Strut Braces

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2008, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Front and Rear Strut Braces

Hi all,

My question for today is:

Is it worth putting a front and rear strut brace on a UK Turbo 2000. I generally drive sensibly but sometime I approach a roundabout with a rush of blood and throw it in.

Will a strut brace help minimize the body roll and dial out some of that damn under-steer?
Would PowerFlex front and rear ARB bushes also help?

cheers
Angelo.

Last edited by Angelo_Pav; 03 Jun 2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Added question
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2008, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
strut braces dont make that much difference in my opinion,may be better if both upper/lower ones are fitted,however i think different arb`s/drop links/ bumpsteer mod, maybe firmer suspension-Mines a hard ride but has virtually no body roll due to ride height partly.

Found this elsewhere-

I've spent 8 years (and way too much money ) messing about with my classic to get it the way I like it. I would recommend approaching it in the order;

Decent rubber all round (no point scrimping)
Proper geometry set-up (Prodrive setting are better than std, but people like PowerStation or TSL will do you custom settings with more castor)
Bumpsteer removal
Uprated ARBs/bushes/droplinks
Antilift kit
Eibach sports springs, or if affordable, coilovers with adjustable platforms (I use ASTs currently)

I would suggest getting camber bolts fitted so that you have proper adjustability on the rears.

Try these things one at a time so that you can feel the effect each has and eventually you build up a knowledge of how each adjustment affects the car. You are then in a position to experiment with a set of custom setting which suit you personally.

Remember that all these "improvements" are at the expense of something else. My car currently has virtually no understeer and changes direction much quicker, but the ride is harsh and it has lost a lot of the "planted" feel of the factory settings. The back end in particular is much more "adjustable" shall we call it ? In effect, you swap one set of compromises for another, more personal set.
If you do manage roll-free, neutral cornering with a magic-carpet ride you will have found the holy grail of suspension engineering and will never need to work again.
Old 03 Jun 2008, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Anders52
I have to admit i did find that the strut braces made a difference on mine. The whole car now feels much more taut and composed when cornering but like dave said when the rear end does step out - its a wee bit more violent shall we say
One thing i did notice was that the steering was affected in the sense it now feels much more direct if you know what i mean.
Old 04 Jun 2008, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

first step put ona uprated rear anti roll bar.

as far as strut braces go, yes they do make a difference, but your suspension setup is only as good as your weakest parts, if the rest of the links in the system are week then they wont make much difference.

changing the drop links, roll bar (rear only i'd recomend), antilift kit and a set of uprated shocks and springs are prob better options before you go down the strut brace route
Old 04 Jun 2008, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i have recenty fitted a front strut brace to my 05 wrx and certainly noticed a difference in the steering it feels more responsive and cant wait for the rear
Offline   Reply With Quote