Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Decat downpipe help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2008, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Decat downpipe help!

Have installed full japspeed SS system including decat downpipe. Car now throwing 'check engine light'. Compressor is spinning up all the time now. Will this damage engine?
Car is a 1993 WRX classic import. Is there a quick fix solution or will I have to buy Lamba sensor (old one damaged), and re-connect to downpipe.
Will I have to redrill plug on downpipe (sensor has smaller threads) and rethread or weld in sensor to decat downpipe or is there an aftermarket downpipe plug available?
Any help much appreciated...
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2008, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Anders52
Never heard of japspeed m8, i take it you mean janspeed?

Also what do you mean the compressor is spinning up all the time? Thats the whole point of a decat. It gets the gasses moving faster so the turbo will spool up quicker and you hear it earlier as well.

You have the check engine light because you havent installed the o2 sensor back into the exhaust. Im not sure how you are going to do this if the threads are different but without an aftermarket ecu where you can disable the o2 sensor then you are stuck m8. subaru's ecu will play it safe until you spend money with someone who can diagnose the fault. (usually subaru)

As far as i know the sensors all have the same size thread so you should just buy a new one (reputable dealer not ebay) and then it should fit and then a simple ecu reset should cure all.

Last edited by Anders52; 31 Mar 2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Have had this before on a pulsar of a mates all i did (as i had a spare exhaust plug/bung for o2sensor)were drill straight through the bung then let the o2sensor make its own threads if ya like whilst i held bung in a vice tightened up/through with a spanner-alternatives just to find a nut that fits the sensor drill hole in exhaust weld nut to it then just screw sensor in.

just make sure the sensor tip sits far enough into the exhaust either way, dazs threads on his were quite long.

Thought wrx`s had a cat fire sensor know a mates did with a braided wire to it that sat further down the pipe near join.

Last edited by uk dave; 31 Mar 2008 at 11:19 PM.