Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jan 2008, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Question Suggestions?

Hi Guys,

I want to start looking at improving the performance/power of my car.

So far my car is: 2006 Impreza STi (Type UK) with Prodrive Pack, prodrive lowering springs, upgraded discs and pads. (I've also done a few other things which are not really performance related)

Now i'd like to further improve the acceleration. Any suggestions at all are welcome, as I've not really decided on a budget since I'm not sure what's available?

Thanks!

David
Old 16 Jan 2008, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

depends how far you wanna go mate.

the 06 will hit about 355bhp with a decat, cold air induction and remap, but at that point oil temps start to become an issue.

think you either need to set a budget or a power figure, cos your final result will vary cost wise on how you go at it, aka a full rebuild now or take current as far as it can go, then rebuild for more power later, where doing the rebuild to start with will save you money
Old 16 Jan 2008, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd
as tidge says, get a power figure or budget in mind.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Ok guys, so I'm thinking I will go down the route of:

decat, k&n filter or induction kit, and remap.

I know I can get a k&n filter pretty easy, and I'll probably go to AndyForrest to get it remapped, but I'm not sure what decat pipe I'm looking for as I have a prodrive pack exhaust on my car already.

Can someone advise?

I saw this one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-IMPREZA...QQcmdZViewItem

would this one do ?

Thanks,
David
Old 26 Jan 2008, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

If it was my STi. I would get a high-flow CAT centre section & keep the Prodrive free flow down-pipe & backbox you should already have on your STi.

Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Thanks Pete.

I've had a look at centre sections, and I see some which have a high-flow cat, and some which are just straight through pipes.

Would the one with the cat still pass an mot with my setup, and would there be much loss in power compared to a straight through pipe, much difference in noise etc ?

Thanks for the advice!

David
Old 29 Jan 2008, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
Would the one with the cat still pass an mot with my setup, and would there be much loss in power compared to a straight through pipe, much difference in noise etc ?
Hi David.

The one with the high-flow CAT will pass an MOT. The straight through pipe could bring the checklight on but still be MOT friendly. You should not get a power loss with a high-flow CAT.

Before you buy. I would ask the vendor about the MOT/Checklight isues.

Old 29 Jan 2008, 06:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Theres bound to be a power loss from a high flow cat as opposed to a straight decat pipe !!! if the cats not doing anything-which to match the performance of a straight through pipe it would have to and have no effect on flow, why have it???

Last edited by uk dave; 29 Jan 2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Performance gains can even be achieved by making the straightest exhaust possible, any curves where the exhaust goes round something is a restriction let alone a cat albeit high flow.On a turbo car the faster the gasses can get out the better.
If its for the MOT fair enough but personally i`d try an get by with as minimal cats as possible.Ya really need to chat to someone with experience of your car an the set up youre on about but personally dont think it`l pass an mot with just the centre high flow cat in.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 07:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I'm actually more worried about it being 'too noisy' with no centre section rather than for mot purposes. it's first mot is still over a year away, and I can always get the centre section swapped back for mot.

I was following an outlined upgrade on andyforrest's website for the 06 sti, and noticed i already had some of the parts fitted from my ppp.
I think i'll go for new air intake, decat centre section, upgraded spark plugs, and remap...
we'll see how that goes, and I'll report back!

Thanks for all the advice so far!
Old 30 Jan 2008, 11:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

acceleration

strip it mate then wot u have left replace with carbon fibre the best way to acceleration
Old 31 Jan 2008, 08:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd
why carbon? why not ali?
Old 31 Jan 2008, 05:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Lightened flywheels the next step-probably the most noticeable difference ive made to mine, after about 1/4 of a mile of picking it up from zen where i`d had one fitted could tell acceleration were better.(std ones 11 or 12kg i believe this is around 7kg though ya can go lighter to about 5kg-ish)

have a read here http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/7177/flywheel.html

Last edited by uk dave; 31 Jan 2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02 Feb 2008, 10:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Thanks dave, i'll keep that in mind for my next mod...
Old 03 Feb 2008, 08:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

No probs mate just get one fitted when you want a clutch otherwise, at least it saves on the labour.

Would definately consider it as a worthy mod on any car i own in future.

Last edited by uk dave; 03 Feb 2008 at 08:30 PM.