Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

A short story about Sigma M30 on my Scooby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2007, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Smile A short story about Sigma M30 on my Scooby

Hi there,

After a couple of weeks of buying a UK Spec Turbo2000 I drove and parked up at Lakeside shopping centre. I pressed the fob to lock the car and "nothing". I just thought that the batteries on the fob were low so I changed them and still "nothing". Thinking it all may need somekind of reset I disconnected and reconnected the battery and "Hey Presto" it worked.

A month or two later this happened again rounda friends house. The same procedure sorted this out. Now I am an electronics engineer and what freaked me out was that disconnecting the negative terminal didn't solve the problem but removing the positive did.

Now!!...
Over Christmas (Christmas eve, Thursday, Friday and today" I have been driving into work in central London. My building is surrounded by telephone masts and like clockwork the keyfob does absolutely nothing and disconnecting the battery makes no difference.

I was stuck there Christmas eve and so called Subaru for advice. They said to put in the keycode into the number pad and that also done nothing, so I called the RAC. After 40 mins the guy turned up. Checked my fob, which gave a strong signal checked around blindly under the dash and bonnet wiggling this and that and nothing. He called for a flat bed to take me home which would be there a couple of hours later.
Sat in my car 2 hours after we were aloud to go home early Christmas eve, RAC called to say the flat bed recovery would be with me in 30 mins. Knowing I would soon be taken home I put the key in the ignition and put the stereo on. At this point thought to try the PIN code again.. IT B$%^DY WORKED..

Subaru could have told me to have the key in the ignition.. Geeze 3.5 hours wasted sat in the car....

Has anyone had an issue with the alarm like this?

SORRY TO BORE YOU FOLKS!!.....
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2007, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

There was an issue with the alarms and radio masts... Thought all had been fixed though??

When parking the car near certain masts it shield/masks the radio signal between fob and car.

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 31 Dec 2007, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Thanks..

Now I know about it and can reproduce the problem I am not so fussed. Would be a little concerned if it happened when parking down a dark back street. The funniest was Subaru not mentioning to insert the key prior to inserting the PIN..

Actually no I'm not.. I wouldn't leave the car there even with the alarm working..
Old 31 Dec 2007, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

well known issue with the UK fit alarms....................

as for the pin code then its exactly the same as de-activating a cat1 immobiliser in stand-by , ignition needs to be on...........
Old 31 Dec 2007, 08:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
He He you`ll be glad to know i`m one of the others with the same prob mate,pulled in a car park soon after i had it to chat to a few mates went to start car nothing couldnt turn immobiliser off-great so one of me mates says he`ll tow me home(in aa but couldnt be arsed to wait)tows me about a mile if that tried it again-it worked started it up stopped me mate-an never switched it off there since its either from the police mast or cctv cameras, phone masts dont seem to affect mine.

Wont start on chesterfield donut (tidgy will know where i mean)either loadsa lads out one night pulled up with a few other mates we scoobys guess what same again got lee to tow me literally 100yds out of interference an it were fine again-its annoyin coz one of the 2 previous owners has changed the code, the one listed for the car doesnt work for the keypad.

lol cant even go to me local scooby dealer in the scooby well i can but its touch an go if it will start ya can get shielded upgrade alarm units which i`ll get in the end-however for now its a bit of a lottery if you go somewhere new
Old 01 Jan 2008, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Good stuff....
I guess you can always arm the alarm with the keypad too if you get somewhere and find you can't lock the doors with the fob..

Anyways its a real relief to know its "normal".. I am actually an electronics engineer and so may take on an ikkle project to solve this quirk. Now knowing about its a cute quirk.. Kinda like a beatiful babe with dodgy sneeze...

Happy New year guys..
This forum is a great thing....
Old 02 Jan 2008, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

alarms

had the same prop with one of my old uk cars but some twat had taken pad out so i was well ------ .got a second hand keypad, and then went to subaru main dealer and they sorted alarm with a new chip, this was done free as they were doing all cars at the time,cost about 60 pound now,got to be worth it,no more worrying about parking
Old 03 Jan 2008, 08:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Mines doing this all the damm time, I didnt know the pin code either so I have also be stuck in the car for ages couldnt go anywhere. I've found out how to reset the code now and use that when It doesnt work. Its just a pain as it sounds like I'm breaking in to the car when the alarm is going full bore
Old 03 Jan 2008, 10:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

As I bought the car second hand privately I wasn't given the PIN. I called subaru and faxed them my log book as proof of ownership and they gave me the PIN over the phone.

If one of the owners changed it however you're up a creek without a paddle.
Old 03 Jan 2008, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo_Pav View Post
As I bought the car second hand privately I wasn't given the PIN. I called subaru and faxed them my log book as proof of ownership and they gave me the PIN over the phone.

If one of the owners changed it however you're up a creek without a paddle.
I didnt think they would do that without charging me so I did the hard way HAHA. I bought mine from a non subaru garage and didnt even realise I needed the code in till I did
Old 03 Jan 2008, 02:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

code

they put the code under the ash tray most of the time