Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

looking for a change of car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2007, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

looking for a change of car

hi there im new and i have been looking at getting shut of my celica st185 gt4 and getting jdm imprezza version 2 or 1 most possibly version 1 because of the price.
would just like to know the what the real specs on these.
from what i can find the the sti version 1 is 250ps and 0-60in 4.9 and the version 2 is 275 but am not sure on the rest.
also can people just fire away with details on them please fuel cost parts costs and any general info i should need.
thanks in advance anthony
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2007, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Hi mate i own a uk classic not had that much to to with jdm cars as all me mates have had uk`s so bear with me though someone will be along soon that owns one.
Performance and toys wise jdm spec cars are definately the ones to go for however an im gonna be totally honest with you coming from toyota ownership/reliability it could be a shock to the system owning a scooby dont go into it blind these are expensive and fast depreciating cars to own hence they appear cheap to buy.
Dont get me wrong love mine and performance for price theyre a great car but if you`re not a patient person an ya dont wanna lose much money-dont buy one
Even newish cars seem to have their fair share of problems,there were a time when i thought i`d probably buy something like a 2003 on sti after my present car but unless someone gets me behind the wheel of a wrx sti type-r or a sti6 this will be my first and last scooby-so far counting meself lucky that although ive had a gearbox rebuild engine itself and turbo have been fine(though cars only done 52,000miles)
Owned current impreza 4.5yrs and will probably sell in august when its paid for hopefully before an engine rebuild is necessary-mainly as if the depreciation goes on as is the cost of an engine rebuild will be as much as the cars worth an i really dont wanna go down that road or i`ll need to keep it another 3yrs.
Old 30 Dec 2007, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ant- View Post
would just like to know the what the real specs on these. from what i can find the the sti version 1 is 250ps and 0-60in 4.9 and the version 2 is 275 but am not sure on the rest.
also can people just fire away with details on them please fuel cost parts costs and any general info i should need.
Hi.

Good Impreza info: http://www.iwoc.co.uk/contents.html

Old 30 Dec 2007, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

new car

hello mate dont be put of by all the reliability probs you hear about its poo have had 2 uk wagons both with over 140thou on the clock and both still going,now have a ver6 sti jdm by far the better car all round,can put you in contact with a friend who has ver 1 2 and 3 jdm cars for sale pm me if interested
Old 30 Dec 2007, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Pmsl @ holyfield......dont be put off by it ant but realise it does happen and not just to the rough looking cars either

Gavs below- 2 engine rebuilds

Lees mint wagon, engine rebuild and gearbox(gearbox maybe twice if i remember right)

Puzzles (lee-were silver scooby on here)2 rebuilds under subaru uk warranty before 50,000miles)

Phils sti engine rebuild

Rons 2006 sti Back to subaru at around 7,000miles with engine trouble (his dads previously owned 4 subarus before and rons been insured on 3 so it aint how he were drivin his own he knows the score.

Also another another mate danny that had crank trouble with his uk turbo sorry no pics of that, so whilst holyfield you may have had a good one in my experience in general and just looking at problems generally around forums ya gotta be prepared for the worst an these arent a cheap fix when they go wrong in a big way as many ex-owners will tell ya.

Ron and phil still own theirs.

Will agree though mate a version 6 sti is definately the ideal option supposedly the strongest all round impreza.

Last edited by uk dave; 30 Dec 2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 30 Dec 2007, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

new car

glad i dont knock around with you unlucky lot
some sweet looking cars
Old 30 Dec 2007, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Mines the only one(touch wood) not to have engine trouble so yer my experiences are generally negative about scoobys,every time i give it some boot to an extent in the back of my mind is "is it gonna let go" Only thing its had engine wise is a maf sensor a while back.Otherwise other than the gearbox its just been service costs(gearbox were done at 33,000 miles though which i were well pissed off about)
Old 30 Dec 2007, 10:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Young Scooby

UK Dave!!!! What happened there? You seems a bit pessimistic today!!!!
Did you paid already the annual tax fees????
Whell it is true overall what you wrote.....but when you push the gas she will pay you back with the interest......Porsche, some Ferrari of the pas years, are still eating the smoke of my tires..........
Old 30 Dec 2007, 11:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

lol i know it seems that way to an extent its just ive got this love hate relationship with scoobys theyve broke so many of me mates that love the cars but cant keep up with the expense and have had to sell mainly before any more trouble-then theres the other side of me that loves em to bits-its all about the sound and way they deliver the power/and just the drive in general.
I were never one of these ppl that had wanted a scooby from being a young boy-i were probably more likely to end up with a sierra cosworth having owned an xr2 xr3i and RS turbo aswell as having mates with concours rs`s-The series 2 RS Turbo left me owing my mum an dad 2 grand within about 3 months so knew it had to go (if only to give them their money bk)

After a short spell with me dads old sierra estate(literally let me dad part-ex the rs in for a new fiesta diesel at a ford dealer-couldnt bear to sell it some unsuspectin person to have trouble with it like i had-dealer seemed a safe option as at least whoever bought it would have a decent warranty) bought a brand new 106gti after a few months an loved it had that 4yrs then a mate (dean) bought a scoob werent too interested at the time untill a mate came up town in a (fairly new at the time)RB5 i were like omg take me a spin in it-loved it later the same wk dean came round, as we were off out on the way said do ya wanna drive-turned him down at first(he hadnt had it long) however on the way bk let me have a drive(hadnt been out drinkin)............the rests history it were the drive that made me want one not necessarily the looks-ive looked after all my cars even if it does seem like i`m obsessed with the looks

So whilst i love the drive and the looks have grown on me(case of having to how many times ive been round it with wax)theres still part of me that dont trust the engines/boxes at all.

This is why i think its fair to point out the worst part of scooby ownership first or at least make ppl aware of what could happen i could go on all day about the good things however if somebody werent straight with me an i bought one that were a dog i`d be like "why did nobody tell me about these problems".
Old 31 Dec 2007, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

lol,

in truth they are like any other cars, your get gooduns and bad uns.

mines been great (touch wood, pats head) had it 2 years now and only managed to blow up the gearbox (but i was well and truley giving it welly on the isle of man lol) since then no probs at all.
Old 31 Dec 2007, 01:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Only car i`d previously had gearbox trouble with tidgy were an 800 xr3i when i were 19 an to be fair expected it at over 100,000 miles, not many cars i know of have syncro probs leading to a non existent 5th gear at 33,000miles-tis ok sayin theyre like other cars just other cars have the same probs at mileages youd expect the problems at
Old 31 Dec 2007, 04:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

yeah mate i agree
Old 31 Dec 2007, 05:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

fcuk me this is a bit of an occasion we both agree on something
Old 04 Jan 2008, 02:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

here's one to make ya feel a little better dave mate. a customer of the merc dealership i used to work for went to germany to collect his brand new SLK from the factory. if i remember correctly, he only managed to get about 50 miles up the road before the 7-speed box blew up

so it aint just scoobs that have the odd unexpected and expensive problem. the gearbox was coverd under warranty but it ended up costin the dealership a fair bit to keep the customer happy

Last edited by tom73; 04 Jan 2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04 Jan 2008, 05:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

lol i know mercs aint what theyre cracked up to be one of me mates work at mercedes in mansfield so know the score

To be fair theres good and bad in most cars just seems with scoobys ya can be pretty sure to get the same probs as everyone else at some stage.