Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

SubFrame Nightmare

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2007, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Question SubFrame Nightmare

I have a 51 reg 2.0 gx sport , 23000 miles , full service history , just failed my mot due to the sub frame being excessively corroded , on both sides front end .This seems really excessive as the car is only 6yrs old . What would you recommend a; weld affected areas and jig or completely renew the front subframe , dont really know what the best option is plus cost comes into it as well and i'm not minted .Has anyone else encountered this corrosion on a car thats not really that old
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2007, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

yeah mine wasn't too clever (front sub frame)due to previous owners lack of maintenance but my old 94 wagon had none, i wonder if it was to do with lower splash shield fitted collecting dirt and water, have now done away with it.

i got a mint one of an import for 20 quid at glenburgie, theres not much demand for them. its quite a simple job but getting keys on steering rack hydraulic lines is a fiddle.

from what i remember it was jack car up, off the wheels, remove jack brace point, remove droplinks + antiroll bar, remove bolt holding lower ball joint/ separate wishbone and hub,remove front wishbone bolt/bush, remove track rod ends from steering knuckle, remove power steering lines, remove steering uj joint, 4 bolts then has steering rack off.

remove two nuts on subframe which hold engine mounts, crack off four bolts holding subframe (get them started turning), support engine with jack block of wood on sump, remove four bolts holding on subframe then remove.

i did this night before big subaru meet , perhaps not the wisest move as to get clearance for removing subframe i pulled struts out of the way by grabbing on rear of discs. once finished i then had too take brakes apart and remove backing plates as they touching discs.

rather do that than weld on a patch with bits going down my neck/in my ears
Old 12 Dec 2007, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

think he means the subframe brace (only fitted to new-age cars) rather than the crossmember.....................

suprised it is that bad??
Old 13 Dec 2007, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Been quoted 500 for the sub frame plus labour , vat etc . The garage rang subaru and they think it is a design flaw , but hard to really pin the problem down . Shame because now the work is getting done i'm just gonna sell , thanks for your assistance though