Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Lowering my Subaru. Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Oct 2007, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Lowering my Subaru. Help!

Guys I need some help here. I want to lower my 05 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS. I've heard a lot of diff things, such as lowering a car will damage OEM/stock shocks struts very very soon. but then I've heard ppl say I can lower my car by just buying a lowering spring and not anything else, but to do alignment right afterwards. So, please help me out and let me know what exactly I need in order to lower my car. I want to lower my car by about 2' in the front and around 1.2' in the back. THanks for the help!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

as long as you don't go to mentally low then you can on the standard shocks. Eibachs are very good.

but on a side note to get a 2 inch drop your gonna have to go coilovers, spring kits tend to only drop 30mm ish
Old 25 Oct 2007, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Joe has Eibach lowering spring on his 2004 Impreza 2.5RS.

Quote:
Almost as comfortable as stock springs, but offers much better cornering. Looks lower than I had expected - now the car sits about 2.5 fingers above the tire front, and 2 fingers rear.

Old 25 Oct 2007, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thnx for the help guys. How about Tien S. Tech springs? Are those good as well? Ive found some great prices on ebay for these. They seem to be a bit cheaper compared to Eibachs. I did find some lowering springs that can lower by 2'.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

BTW pete, you mind giving me a link to that post? thanks!
Old 25 Oct 2007, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennidragon View Post
BTW pete, you mind giving me a link to that post? thanks!
Link: http://www.subarureview.com/showreview.php?id=662

Old 27 Oct 2007, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennidragon View Post
thnx for the help guys. How about Tien S. Tech springs? Are those good as well? Ive found some great prices on ebay for these. They seem to be a bit cheaper compared to Eibachs. I did find some lowering springs that can lower by 2'.
I run with Teins, and not had a wif of a problem; all good. Mine's was a 30mm drop, but a 50mm drop? Dunno. I do think you'd have to go for coilovers for that. Coilovers are much more expensive and provide a much stiffer ride, more for track use. Stick with springs only if you want look and imporved feel.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
40mm drop on mine without probs tidgy(konis),eibachs are good springs but minimal drop from a looks point of view hardly noticeable imo just beware at 50mm drop std shocks wont last long-ideally on stds wouldnt go lower than a 35mmdrop-found on a mates(albeit a classic scooby1999 uk turbo)it were a mint balance of handling and comfort.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

so i got tein S tech springs. according to the seller it will drop the car by 1.7'' front and 1.3'' rear. what do you guys think? these good and stock shocks/strut should be OK? I've heard some ppl who have S tech on their suby say they've had no problems...
Old 29 Oct 2007, 06:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWelsho View Post
I run with Teins, and not had a wif of a problem; all good. Mine's was a 30mm drop, but a 50mm drop? Dunno. I do think you'd have to go for coilovers for that. Coilovers are much more expensive and provide a much stiffer ride, more for track use. Stick with springs only if you want look and imporved feel.

Do you have the TEIN S tech or H tech?
Old 29 Oct 2007, 07:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

so im considering getting the KYB non-adjustable struts if the stock shock/struts really can't handle the TEIN S. Techs on my o5 2.5RS. Any comments???
Old 30 Oct 2007, 01:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

well i've got KYB semi adjustables, aka i can adjust the stiffness, and they are a top bit of kit
Old 31 Oct 2007, 09:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
bmd
Cool Scooby

hi guys
sorry to butt in on your topic pennidragon , but can i ask if it's totally mad to consider lowering just the fromt end? i am happy with rear ride-height but the front sits a bit higher, and would like to lower it about 30 mm; would this sc_ew up the handling as i suspect, or has anyone else treated the front but left the rear alone?
if this is daft, forgive me
cheers
billy (04 wrx)
Old 31 Oct 2007, 10:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
To be honest mate wouldnt rule it out totally but overall is better to have a complete kit of the same damping however most of the roll in corners is obviously created at the front its a tough one to call for me as i usually like to try the"you shouldnt do that" way but to be honest i`d get the lot, you "may" find the existing springs have been replaced(dont know ur mileage-if low this wont apply) on the front but the bk are originals hence the difference though with a -30 35ish mm spring kit car will be level and wont screw up the ride with std shocks trust me.

Although can you get springs in pairs??? bk in the day ya could but not sure about now (used to live at roadrunner in notts tidgy at one time lol-car shop near me for everyone else)

Last edited by uk dave; 31 Oct 2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 02:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
bmd
Cool Scooby

thanks for that dave, it's maybe just me but there seems to be a sig difference between front and back; she has 43000 miles and the only work i know of was new shocks in the rear done under warranty before i got her; sure this wouldn't affect ride height?

billy