Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Where to start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2007, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Where to start?

Hi all,

New to Impreza's and am wondering where to start in the quest for speed.

I have had to (dog, 1 baby and another due) invest in a 96 Import WRX Wagon (yep they'e cheap enough to afford and the dog fits in the boot) and am aware these only have 220 ish bhp.

The thing is quick but no real ball of fire so I'm looking to upgrade. I'd like plenty of go without going the entire new engine route. How attainable is 260 or 280 bhp (like the saloons)?

Also as the wife will notice a sudden hole in our finances I'll be aiming to add parts over time so any advice on what I should buy first, second, third etc would be a massive help.

I've read bits and pieces and the usual rules don't seem to apply (are induction kits a waste of time?)

cheers for any comments.

Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2007, 12:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

unless wagons are different i think the 95 wrx was in fact 260??? (might be wrong on that not up on the wagons)

for that fort of increase your looking at a pannel filter, full decat then aftermarket ecu (you can't map a 95 ecu) thats whould get you around the 260bhp mark (if its not there already) to go higher i think you may need to put bigger injectors in, iirc the 95 will have atd05 turbo but 330/380 injectors which will limit it.

once that point is reach ed your looking at front mount intercoolers, uprated oil coolers then perhaps new engine to go more than 320bhp.

induction kits tbh i wouldn't both with unless ofrced to by fitting a front mount. they make a similar sort if increase as a pannel filter, tend to cost 2 times as much and can get heat soaked
Old 24 Jan 2007, 12:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Cheers Tidgy,

Panel Filter tomorrow then (is a k&n the safest bet?)

and a de-cat instead of easter eggs if I can persuade the local MOT man its all OK.

Regards
Old 24 Jan 2007, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by poundhound View Post
Cheers Tidgy,

Panel Filter tomorrow then (is a k&n the safest bet?)

and a de-cat instead of easter eggs if I can persuade the local MOT man its all OK.

Regards

pmsl, yeah cheap mod mate, can't remember if i've got a k&n or pipercross on mine, think its a k&n though.

yeah mate mot time is the only issue, but you can find freindly places it will fail with a decta by the way.

pm me if your struggling with mot as far as options go
Old 24 Jan 2007, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by poundhound View Post
Hi all,

New to Impreza's and am wondering where to start in the quest for speed.

I have had to (dog, 1 baby and another due) invest in a 96 Import WRX Wagon (yep they'e cheap enough to afford and the dog fits in the boot) and am aware these only have 220 ish bhp.

The thing is quick but no real ball of fire so I'm looking to upgrade. I'd like plenty of go without going the entire new engine route. How attainable is 260 or 280 bhp (like the saloons)?

Also as the wife will notice a sudden hole in our finances I'll be aiming to add parts over time so any advice on what I should buy first, second, third etc would be a massive help.

I've read bits and pieces and the usual rules don't seem to apply (are induction kits a waste of time?)

cheers for any comments.

induction kit/exhaust(full decat=big difference/front mount intercooler/suspension and brakes you`ll find your car quicker if your more confident to push it harder hence the suggestion for better suspension and brakes ive got an induction kit in the regular place though other ppl will be able to advise on cool air kits(cone filter mounted under inner wing to draw cool air)fmic is optional i suppose but its on my to do list they run alot better with cooler air and theres occasions where the top mount aint up to it,also in time will become a necessity as you mod the car more.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd
the Symtec ecu will work on the earlier models
Old 24 Jan 2007, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks again folks,

the wife seems happy with it so she won't get too angry if a little 'maintenance cost' is incurred!!