Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

ap4pot rears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jan 2007, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

ap4pot rears

anybody got them? if so do you notice any difference?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2007, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Would say you`d definately notice but would probably be at the bottom of my mods list to be fair the fronts do the most work but to me it`d be overkill on a road car,on a track cars a different story and maybe i`d splash out on em.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

stopping is top of my list, brembos on newage are crap, had a few big scares
Old 11 Jan 2007, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd
why does everyone say brembos are crap....are you running standard discs, pads & fluid???
Old 11 Jan 2007, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Theyre not crap just not as good as ap`s trust me mate ap`s are the way if your unhappy with em buy some 6pot ap`s with big disc conversion for the front.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd
i agree, it is just that alot of people say the brembos are crap.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Trouble with brembos is their bulk/mass it holds heat more than a lighter more trimmed puposeful calliper simple terms more metal more heat retained more chance of fade.Not only that youve only gotta look at the amount of motorsport teams that use ap to know its top notch stuff if anyones in doubt about ap`s ask phil on here with the type r he`s just put some on.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
Theyre not crap just not as good as ap`s trust me mate ap`s are the way if your unhappy with em buy some 6pot ap`s with big disc conversion for the front.
got the ap6pots on mate they are a lot better than the brembos, 4pots going on soon
Old 11 Jan 2007, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Let us know how ya go on with em mate
Old 11 Jan 2007, 08:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Let us know how ya go on with em mate
will do mate trouble with newage is its bloody heavy so when its going quick its hard to stop, classics with ap6pots must stop on a tanner
Old 11 Jan 2007, 08:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

funny u should say that, ive only got the subaru 4 pots on mine and to be fair dont rate em-anyway a mate of mines after a scooby, now theres a couple of us with classics, a sti8, bugeye uk300,and another guy with an o6sti anyway let me mate who`s after buying a scooby take mine a spin the other night told him to watch the brakes anyway got bk and he went a spin in me mates uk300 bugeye got bk an got out an said "dave you`ve got nowt to worry about with your brakes scotts are worse than yours"-yet we`re running identical brakes with the same mintex 1155 pads (which i rate for mixed driving-if ppls flat out everywhere not so good)Only thing i can put the loss in brake performance down to is the extra weight of the bugeye.

Last edited by uk dave; 11 Jan 2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 08:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

just hope the rears stop it a bit quicker or ive wasted a lot of money
Old 11 Jan 2007, 09:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Only other thing is to try a different fluid after asking for a few opinions maybe off of ppl that track theirs alot.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 09:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
You mean some like this??

Thing is, there's two type's of AP's...

You have the 355mm version which are in 4 or 6 pots (I think) and they are great for road use.

Then you have the 330mm version which are again, 4 or 6 pots, but they are better overall as they are mostly suited for track use. These are the models I have (6 pots) and they are fantastic...

My nickname on here is Miss Daisy, so you may ask yourself a question, why would he need them?

Simple.

I've owned the orignal 4 pots, didnt like them, upgraded to Brembo's. They where miles better but with standard disc's and pads, wouldnt rate them so well. Upgrade the pads and disc's a great deal of improvement. I had the DVA 4000 series disc's with Frededo DS2500 pads. I had a scare myself going up the M6 with the standard disc's and pads. A Volvo in front of me decided to brake hard as hell (good job I was far away from him or else, I would have no scoob right now) and I literally stood on the brake pedal and by christ did I stop from 70mph to 10mph in not much time at all... There where worth their money.

I've recently upgrade to the AP's due to a few things, Brembo's wouldnt fit the wheels I own, they are over sized and I had wheel wobble, but also I wanted AP's in the first place...
I drove to Newcastle to get them fitted and I dont regret it.

I made a query regarding the rear's as I thought should I go for the set? I decided no. £1000 was far to much just for the rear setup even though, they would be better still than the upgraded STI Brembo's (2 pots, unsure on the size) I currently have on the car.. If I had the money to throw away or if the rear calipers failed or started sticking, then I might be tempted with the AP's as I dont think the Brembo ones are all that cheap.....
Old 11 Jan 2007, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Quote:
Trouble with brembos is their bulk/mass it holds heat more than a lighter more trimmed puposeful calliper simple terms more metal more heat retained more chance of fade.Not only that youve only gotta look at the amount of motorsport teams that use ap to know its top notch stuff if anyones in doubt about ap`s ask phil on here with the type r he`s just put some on.
I thought I felt my ears burning!!

Sorry for the rant tho.....