Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2007, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to UK300 Lee
Tuning

Greetings all,

Taking the scoob into power engineering on monday, After fitting the exhaust system and dump valve and induction kit i want to get it running correctly. 125 is all it costs for a tune up.
The main reason im going there is that when im sitting in 6th doing about 80mph if i i take my foot of the accerlarator and then to the floor i can hear the induction kit sucking in the air and its sounds a bit like this ssssh sssh ssssh sshh and then to a normal ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. After speaking to power engineering they dont really reckon yhou should have a induction kit but go for a panal filter instead. What are your thoughts and who has a panal filter and who has an induction kit?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2007, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

what type of induction kit have you got?
Old 10 Jan 2007, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby
Paid & Proud

ive got a Powertech Induction Kit which i bought from scoobworld. Is it a bad one?
Old 10 Jan 2007, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

is it wing mounted?

nothing wrong with induction kits though, as long as its not a sponge one or you put to much oil on it. wing mounted kts are better because they are out of the hot engine bay
Old 10 Jan 2007, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
I have a panel filter but sadly when you have a front mount fitted, you have to have an induction kit... I have a green panel filter at the moment, but we'll see how far I go with some future mod's to whether or not I'll have to have something different...
Old 10 Jan 2007, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Whats your boost gauge saying mate at the time, you can hear the induction shhhhhhh when you put your foot down thats normal as far as im concerned if you floor it you sure the intermittent shhhh`s arent the ecu sorting fuelling out for a split second as a result of flooring it in top gear-probably off boost aswell at the time (though this is only a guess) so long as it didnt fluctuate whilst on boost on acceleration wouldnt worry too much mate, had a green induction kit on mine for around 22k miles only probs ive had were a maf around 45kmiles which is usually when they go anyway, mates did with std airbox on so not linking that with the ind kit an its been fine since.Could be a number of things i guess.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby
Paid & Proud

Cheers all for replying, i dont have a boost guage, but that is on the books..... i have read about the k and n typhoon and seen peteruk300 pictures, his goes straight into the wing as mine sits in the engine bay (see Pic)

and there is a gap on the left which looks like thats where the air comes from
and thats where the k and n typhoon goes into.

On scoobyworld you can buy a cold air feed pipe, if you scan down to the bottom you can see the pic and description. Where does this pipe get fitted???

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...roducts_id=106

Cheers in advance

Lee

Last edited by UK300 Lee; 11 Jan 2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby
Paid & Proud

Change of plan, just spoke to power engineering again, getting a decat downpipe, uprated fuel pump, and a tek2 chip, they reckon its going to be around 320bhp..... AWSOME
Old 11 Jan 2007, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Good stuff mate,PE are quite good as well.

PM replied to btw mate.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK300 Lee View Post
Change of plan, just spoke to power engineering again, getting a decat downpipe, uprated fuel pump, and a tek2 chip, they reckon its going to be around 320bhp..... AWSOME

tbh mate i'd dump the teck2 and have a tek3 ecutek full remap, should be 330bhp once decated and mapped (with fuel pump as well).

never beena fan of off the shelf maps due to the nature of the impreza
Old 11 Jan 2007, 05:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Would add a frontmount to the list personally first if funds allow
Old 11 Jan 2007, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
I'd go along with all of that too mate

Congrats

Lucky git!! I'm still waiting engine upgrades!!
Old 11 Jan 2007, 05:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool Scooby
Paid & Proud

so what the differance between a tek 2 and a tek 3????? plus dave, how much is a front intercooler cost, can i use the exisitng one but just get it mounted
Old 11 Jan 2007, 06:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Basically lee you wanna get everything together/fitted whichever you prefer and make the map the last thing as you get so far into modding that another map will be needed to get the best results from what youve added ie mapped to a topmount your induction temps are gonna be higher id have thought than with running a front mount-detonation or knock(bad)is more likely with high induction temps which is why most ppl fit a fmic to reduce the risk when increasing their cars power, in theory its safer to run a higher amount of boost based on a few things-turbo size(is it working efficiently-or being pushed beyond its reliable usable limit and compressor housing size(to do with flowing enough air)the same with injectors can they flow enough fuel to cope with the increase in boost (irrespective of fuel pressure)theres a few things to consider though yours being an sti im guessing you`ll have less to change than others on here like me with a uk turbo . Its just to get the most value out of the map i`d do some investigating first-frontmounts start at around 400 by the way.Bear in mind the mapper will only map to the cars limits however depending on the supporting mods fitted this will increase/decrease where that limits at.Also remember figures quoted when remapped vary from car to car for various reasons.

Last edited by uk dave; 11 Jan 2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 06:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Agree with Dave there Lee Making the most of the mapping is what really matters. No point in doing a few bits and then mapping it and then a few bits more and mapping it again. The cost soon adds up.

Personally if I had the choose and money (which is important!! ) I'd have everything done that I wanted and then get it mapped as it would be as I wanted it, with no hassles again. Might take say a week to build or do (whichever route you go down) so put some thought in it and go for what YOU want from the car...