Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Newbie here...with a load of questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2006, 12:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
M_H
Fresh Scooby

Newbie here...with a load of questions

Hi guys, Im new to this forum, so thought I'd say hi.
And to start with i have a big post with many questions...hope you can help me with them
Only just bought a 2002 bugeye wrx last week, should be collecting the car sometime this week, and cant wait after the test drive I had.

Moving up from a 206gti, and the difference in performance just blew me away you don't realise how fast you are actually going and it seems so easy hitting 100.

Anyway the ride was a lot more refined than i had expected, and it was a very quiet and smooth drive, however, I did expect the "classic burble" but couldnt hear it, the engine was so quiet it was like sitting in my dads bmw...
How can I get this sound that seems to come with all the classic shapes?

I wanted to get a backbox, anyone have any recommendations for the loudest one that will gfive me my burble craving? (not too expensive mind, cos I have lots of other mods to do lol)

However, the first thing I am going to do is change the headlights, as I do not like the standard lamps one bit...I was thinking either the quad conversion, but am not sure where I can get these (not the prodive ones tho)...anyone know of cheap ones I could get hold of?
OR I might go for these...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza...QQcmdZViewItem

anyone got those? pics please.

Finally a few questions about running the scoob...
I was told about the ticking over of the engine after it has been caned...but if I drive it under "normal" conditions...do I still have to let the engine cool?

Also, I read you have to fill these babies up with super unleaded, is this essential? because I spoke to the previous owner, and they said that at times they filled it with normal unleaded.

Anyway I think thats enough for now.
Will post pics of the car up when I pick it up and have done a few mods to it (like fitting an STi8 spoiler)

In the meantime think i will take a gander around this great forum.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2006, 12:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

lol, 206 to a scoob lol, huge difference.

best way to get scooby burble os to do a full decat, norm around £500 but will prob unlock 10-15bhp without the need to map it (although some models do need that for a full decat)

be a bit weary of headlights from ebay, they can be a bit cheap and nasty.

yeah let the engine cool down after you give it some thrash, also warm up (takes about 5-10 mins for the oil to come up to temp), other option is to keep it off boost and below 3k rpms for last few miles to cool it down.

run it on super unleaded only, turbos, wrx, sti's should never be filled up with anything but super unleaded (i find vpower is the best then tesco 99, stay well clear of bp ultimate. if you have to fill it up with norm cos super is unavailable keep it off boost and below 2.5k rpm, you can kill the engine if you cane it with 95 in.

best advice is to run it on v power, oil changes every 3k, services when due and you should find scoobs are very reliable
Old 31 Dec 2006, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Agree with most of the stuff tidgys said(which is unusual in itself-soz chap)however think oil changes every 3k is a bit on the keen side even for me!! i`d say 4-5k unless every time you drive it your giving it death coz obviously it boils down to how hard your oils having to work as to how often its changed(oil types are a whole new can of worms)as for leaving it running always give mine at least a minute regardless of how its been driven(longer if just been thrashing it)-it aint about the temp for me its about cutting the oil supply(by turning the engine off) to the turbo centre bearing whilst its still spinning.Though most ppl fit turbo timers anyway to be honest, some alarms will run in conjunction with em and lock car/set alarm when it switches it off.

As for exhausts generally i think tsl`s firestorm/blitz nurspec and hayward and scotts afterburners about the loudest, http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/ about the best site to go and have a look as you can listen to a few too, you dont necessarily have to do a full decat unless you`d like it loud though will release at least 20bhp made a massive difference in turbo spool up on mine though-probably the best mod ive done other than lightened flywheel which made simular increases in acceleration.

http://www.haywardandscott.co.uk/index.asp (pretty sure scoobyworlds got sole rights to sell the afterburner bk box hence pretty sure you cant get it direct from hayward and scott)

Last edited by uk dave; 31 Dec 2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

just out of interest dave, what weight is your lightened flywheel? do you really believe it made that much difference?
Old 31 Dec 2006, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

7kg if i remember right and yes was noticeable straight away, got it from paul at zen at the same time as i got gearbox and clutch done, mine were the medium weight one there were one lighter still i believe that were about 4 or 5kgs but didnt wanna push me luck too much with strength would sooner compromise slightly and have a gain still without problems, think std subaru ones are about 12kgs but dont quote me, so you can imagine its gonna be noticeable at 5kgs less.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

have the same on mine(7kg), fitted by API engines when having an exedy clutch fitted. i didn't have much time to really test and look for differences as i had the car mapped the same afternoon, so of course there was a huge difference to the feel of the car by the evening. have you noticed that the car is more grumbly in fourth when doing 30 around town? i find i cruise in 3rd now as i suppose there is less momentum/inertia?? in the flywheel. it should make pick up quicker but as i said because car was mapped at same time the pickup is obviously quicker anyway. do you find that the revs drop quicker when changing gears??
Old 31 Dec 2006, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Well i could tell on mine straight away, if ur clutch is exedy organic we`ve got the same clutch too but the old one werent slipping(so flywheel were more noticeable it didnt just feel quicker because of the new clutch) it were just a really high biting point so it were nearly ready so whilst gearbox were out thought i may aswell get clutch/flywheel sorted-you do notice theyre a bit more sorta lumpy at certain revs but only slightly,revs do drop quicker but i usually change gear that quick u hardly notice but is only to be expected because theres less momentum in the spinning flywheel,also been told you lose a bit of torque as a result of this, obviously as you know you gain acceleration because its less effort to spin-fully intend to get lightened pulley set eventually a gain is a gain no matter how small.
Old 01 Jan 2007, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
M_H
Fresh Scooby

what is a turbo timer? and how much do they cost to fit?
Old 01 Jan 2007, 04:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Turbo Timers are designed to extend turbocharger & engine life by allowing the turbo to cool down sufficiently before the engine is turned off. It does this simply by allowing the engine to continue running for a pre set period of time, after the ignition is turned “off”, and the car securely locked. If the engine is turned off whilst the turbocharger is red hot, the heat in the turbo will then fry the lubrication oil in the delicate bearings. It will also be transferred to the main engine, which has no circulation of cooling water, causing further mechanical damage.

there's probably better things to send your money on, in my opinion.